Stephen Hendry retires from Snooker

Aw well it was good while it lasted 😂. I thought he actually played well enough but I think Selt missed about 4 balls in the whole match there which is just about unplayable. In amongst the balls the old magic was still there though and the century break was class.

He was the reason I got into snooker as a kid. Hated that he retired in 2012 as I think he'd have won a few titles in the years after but he couldn't hack losing to low-ranked players. For me, his game started going downhill after Ebdon bored him out of that 8th world title in a final frame decider.

Ronnie summed it up quite well this week, said something like Ronnie plays because he enjoys playing and if he does well it's a bonus but Hendry is a machine that only wants to win (compared him to Tiger Woods) and if he can go out there and just enjoy it this time then he will cause a few upsets.

I saw plenty of positives yesterday, though. That century was quality considering he ran out of position a few times. He was actually unlucky that Selt had the game of his life. 3 misses in the entire match was fantastic for Selt.

I lost a lot of interest in snooker when he walked away. Carried on watching Maguire but he has bottled a lot of chances to do big things. I've always enjoyed watching Ding play and that other Chinese lad, Yan Bingtao but I'm full back on board now :lol:

Jamie0202 likes this
  • 3 weeks later...

Just watched the little ITV 5 minute video of him at the last tournament.

Said his next one is the World's. He thinks his game maybe isn't sharp enough to qualify for the crucible this time around but is excited to give it a go.

I looked at the qualifying and even if his game was sharp enough it will take some going.

Round 1 vs Another Qualifer

Round 2 Vs Ranks 48+ (potentially McManus, Dale, King or a Chinese youngster)

Round 3 Vs Ranks 17+ (potentially Carter, Bingham, Brecel, Dott, Perry or again one of the Chinese guys)

Round 4 (final round) Vs the winner of another Round 3 game.

He'll do well to reach Round 3.

Jamie0202 likes this

Hendry Vs White in the 1st qualifying round :lol:

That's got to be a fix for some TV viewership, surely!

This is his route, should he progress.

If he makes it to Round 3 then he has the toughest draw possible in Zhou - ranked 17 in the world.

Screenshot_7.png

Jamie0202 likes this

Seven-time world champion Stephen Hendry beat old rival Jimmy White in the first round of qualifying for this year's World Championship.

Scot Hendry, playing just his second match since coming out of retirement, came through 6-3 in Sheffield.

6 hours ago, Ivybank said:

Both white and hendry were horrendous😀

White certainly was. 

Hendry wasn't happy with his own performance but I think for just his second game back, he's showed enough to keep going with it.

Clearing the table from 62-0 to win 66-62 was absolute vintage Hendry vs White. 

I thought that, as well coming back from a snooker needed were the two best frames but aye, Hendry wasn't great and White was atrocious.

Ivybank likes this

Hendry was horrendous tonight. Started quite well and missed frame ball for 2-0 but once Si stole that second frame the shift in momentum was unreal. 

Si looked like he was gaining confidence with every shot whilst Hendry's was sapping away. 

I know he's planning on playing a lot more next season and I've heard his practice sessions are going really well, it's just about bringing it to the match table. 

35 minutes ago, Johnsey said:

Hendry was horrendous tonight. Started quite well and missed frame ball for 2-0 but once Si stole that second frame the shift in momentum was unreal. 

Si looked like he was gaining confidence with every shot whilst Hendry's was sapping away. 

I know he's planning on playing a lot more next season and I've heard his practice sessions are going really well, it's just about bringing it to the match table. 

You hear the same thing regards dart players saying so and so is unreal when not on stage.

Johnsey likes this

Yea, I hope so. Was always my favourite player growing up and after he retired I drifted right away from snooker. Still play it (although mainly play pool) but just lost that desire to watch it when I had no one to support.