Transfers

PUBLISHED: 09:19, 20 June 2012 | UPDATED: 11:20, 20 June 2012

Former Chelsea striker Didier Drogba has signed with Chinese club Shanghai Shenhua on a two-and-a-half year deal.

It means Drogba will come up against Manchester United in the Barclays Premier League side's tour match on July 25.

Drogba had offers from a string of top clubs - believed to include Real Madrid - after leaving Chelsea on a free transfer last month.

But he has decided to head to the Far East to see out his career at the same club as former team-mate Nicolas Anelka.

The 34-year-old is expected to earn around £200,000 per week at his new club.

He said: 'Today I can inform you that I have signed with Chinese club Shanghai Shenhua for a two and a half year deal. I will fly out to join up with the squad in July.

'I have considered all the offers I have received in the past few weeks, but I feel that Shanghai Shenhua is the right move for me at this time.

'I am looking forward to a new challenge and to experiencing a new culture, and I am excited about the new developments in the Chinese Super League.

'When Chelsea went to China last year, we had a great time and I met some amazing fans. I hope to help promote Chinese football around the world and further improve the links between China and Africa.'

Drogba, who scored the equaliser and then winning penalty in Chelsea's shootout victory over Bayern Munich in the Champions League final last month, left Stamford Bridge after his deal ended.

He became a legend during his eight years at the Blues, establishing a reputation as one of Europe's most fearsome strikers.

Drogba scored 157 goals in all competitions for Chelsea, finishing with 100 in 226 league appearances since signing from Marseille for £24million in 2004, one of Jose Mourinho's first major signings for the club.

He had an exceptional record in cup finals, scoring nine goals in nine different finals, including one in this year's FA Cup final victory over Liverpool.

In charge: Sergio Batista is relishing linking up with Drogba

Shanghai owner Zhu Jun said: 'We have been wanting to sign Didier for a while, and are very happy that it has finally happened. He is an incredible player, who has won so many trophies in his career, we feel that his experience and ability will be a very valuable asset to our squad.

'Shanghai is one of the most influential cities in the world, and we are very excited to welcome Didier here.'

Shanghai's new manager Sergio Batista said: 'Drogba is a very good soccer player, his outstanding skills and amazing experience will give us motivation to improve our games.

'It is my honour to invite him to join in our team. At last I have to say that the club owner Zhu Jun did his utmost to bring Drogba to Shenhua.'

Chelsea are looking at the French right back according to the metro, though Newcastle and a few others also looking. Srna is not getting any younger and choose to stay with Shanktar years ago.

He's only 4 years older than the french guy and still has a lot of great qualities as a rb and team player though. Would be well worth having him till he was 34 and buying a young hot prospect to learn off him and replace him

But I understand where you're coming from.

DBBTB and I discussed this in the Euros thread. I reckon there have been enquires but Srna is just happy at Shakhtar. No doubt he's earning arounf £100k a week as well.

No doubt he will stay there, but it's surprising why there are never many rumours about him during transfer windows, even happy players usually get linked.

I've already mentioned Chelsea had a bid accepted for Srna in 2010 but he opted to stay at shakthar.

I thought that was Tottenham. Would have thought he could change his mind since Chelsea won the CL

Why hasn't anyone looked at Srna, particularly Chelsea who need a consistent and defensive RB?

Thought he was fantastic in the Euros, esp. against Spain - played really well and shows leadership.

I also think Chelsea should keep Sturridge instead of going for Moses.

Yeah Srna is a very good player, it's rare that you see a fullback that's so well rounded

Why hasn't anyone looked at Srna, particularly Chelsea who need a consistent and defensive RB?

Thought he was fantastic in the Euros, esp. against Spain - played really well and shows leadership.

I also think Chelsea should keep Sturridge instead of going for Moses.

£90,000 a week at Shakhtar, great relationship with Rinat Akhmetov and a god amongst the fans.

I think a few teams have bid for him unsuccessfully in the past.

Apparently they can only afford either Martinez or Dzeko, If I were them, it's Martinez every time, as much as Dzeko is a great striker.

Cracking player. Surprised he's not going to PSG though; boyhood fan, and would improve their team, even considering the amount of money they're ploughing in at the moment. One of the best passers of a ball you'll see.

They were going for both, it was rumoured they were spending €60m after the Shaqiri and Dante signings and I think they were going for both and another, however City aren't playing ball with Dzeko now. Wanting over €30m and the sun even claimed a swap for Muller.

Back to Martinez, one German outlet said they'd offered him a 5 year deal worth €7m a year, now another one has said that they've actually made the offer of the release clause of €40m. A lot of money for a pretty well covered central midfield of Schweinsteiger, Kroos, Muller, Tymoschsuk and Gustavo. Also got another two youngsters in, Weiser and Emre Can.

Was surprisingly good for Roma last year in an otherwise boring season. Reminds me a wee bit of Inzaghi, and Liverpool could certainly do with an Inzaghi.

I liked him whenever I saw him at Swansea in the Championship, but haven't seen any of him at Roma, was surprised to read (FFT I think) that he's being seen as part of italys future.

I guessed his time in England has helped him big time and the first team opportunitys at a club like Roma would have only furthered him. Not sure if he'll get much game time at Liverpool mind, a hefty price tag too.

Thing is that Martinez was converted to one of the best centre backs in La Liga last season :D

If Bayern get their centre defence sorted, which a Dante-Martinez partnership would surely do, then they'll be up there in the Champions League again next season.

I take it you're a Bayern fan then? If you're ever going to a game out there, let me know. Got family out in Munich (was visiting them this weekend), so I can get advice about tickets/hotels/whatever else for you :)

Yeah mate, Bayern fan. I would prefer Martinez to play CB but it looks almost certain he'd be used as a DM. Also, not seen a huge amount of Dante, but other Bayern fans seem to think Badstuber is better, maybe Boateng too. Badstuber and Martinez would be excellent though. :D

Thanks for the offer mate, don't see myself getting there any time soon still being at school and stuff, would love to go though.

You still following Roma quite heavily?