Transfers

Liverpool's issues are not keeping the ball in the middle of the park. Lucas does a good job in there and people have been wax lyrical over Allen at times.

Alonso's best attribute is playing passes to an attacking midfielder or second striker. I.e Gerrard at Liverpool previously and the likes of Ozil at Real Madrid. Liverpool don't have that type of player at the club at the moment and it's not Rodgers style to play that more direct.

Suarez, Sturridge and Coutinho all hover around that area though so to get Alonso passing the ball in to them would be a lot more effective than getting Joe Allen to do it who is decent. Alonso is world class.

Downing :lol:

Sturridge and Coutinho are very inconsistent and not strong enough over a season. Back four has injury issues, whilst Reina has been poor for ages.

Not to mention having two players in the middle who are getting on and would get overrun, Gerrard can't play that disciplined role either. Seems your looking at names rather than taking into account performances, balance and fitness.

I don't rate that starting 11 that highly and certainly don't think it would make top 4.

:matron:

Downing :lol:

Sturridge and Coutinho are very inconsistent and not strong enough over a season. Back four has injury issues, whilst Reina has been poor for ages.

Not to mention having two players in the middle who are getting on and would get overrun, Gerrard can't play that disciplined role either. Seems your looking at names rather than taking into account performances, balance and fitness.

I don't rate that starting 11 that highly and certainly don't think it would make top 4.

You could make those comments about players for most top 4 sides :lol:.

I'm not saying the team would be perfect, but they'd absolutely challenge for top 4.

Sturridge is nowhere near good enough to play in that role and create chances for others.

Suarez roams all over the shop and is often moving out wide or running in behind, he's been far better this season in that role, hence the scoring return. Dropping him back into the role I'm suggesting would hamper him goal scoring wise and not allow him enough space or freedom to take players on and run into the space. Whilst a top striker would need to be signed to play in-front of him.

Coutinho is all about potential and I don't think he's ready to play that role, drifts in and out of games far too often. On the final point, Alonso is a world class player but his form this season has been far from that. He's been decent at best and one of the reasons why Real have not been at their best this year. Would certainly need a mobile, hard tackler next to him to protect the back four as he's not been doing it as well as he used to.

Alonso would be an excellent signing, but I stand by with my view that's not a critical area that needs fixed.

He played in the three behind a striker for Chelsea and did well under AVB in particular. With Alonso passing the ball to Sturridge in those areas, they would definitely create a lot more chances.

The point is though that Suarez wouldn't just play in that role as he never has. He can go in behind, out wide our drop off and with a passer like Alonso, anyone in the number 10 position would benefit immensely whether that be Coutinho, Suarez or Sturridge.

Jose Enrique for me is one of the best left backs in the Premiership, so under rated.

Reina has to go and Downing a place on the bench.

Liverpool under Rodgers, and a few shrewd signings could make top 4 again. But they would have to sell a good few players to get the money needed to buy them.

.. Aren't these quotes usually followed with an explanation of how he has fuelled it? :lol:.

“This year the player who’s impressed me most is not actually playing in the Champions League.

“He’s playing in “the other cup” and that’s Bale. He’s unique.

"He makes things look easy, his pace is frightening, his acceleration is unbelievable because of his ability to go through the gears in very little space.

“Plus, he’s very good technically which is also important. We mustn’t forget that he plays football very well!

“And he’s really impressed me. I’ve seen him two or three times live, including recently at Lyon, which wasn’t necessarily his best game.

"Every time he got the ball he can surprise you.”

Asked about the comparisions of Bale to world stars Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo, Zidane added: “He’s perhaps not quite at the level of the other two but he’s different.

“So personally I don’t think he’s far off.”

Sturridge played out wide on the right under AVB in a 4-3-3, no idea where you got the idea he played behind a striker from!

It started off as a clear 4-3-3 but it became a 4-2-3-1 under AVB as they were getting slaughtered defensively. Even on the right, he would still be in a position to pick up Alonso's passes and benefit massively.