Transfers

David Moyes has entered the race to bring £30million Brazil attacking midfielder Willian to the Barclays Premier League.

The Anzhi Makhachkala player has already attracted the interest of Liverpool and Tottenham, but Manchester United could hijack those deals.

Liverpool are in advanced discussions with Anzhi regarding a move for the 25-year-old and remain confident of landing him. But United have now made their own enquiry and Old Trafford is believed to be Willian’s preferred destination.

Tottenham retain a long-term interest in the former Shakhtar Donetsk forward and are ready to revive that interest, particularly if Gareth Bale completes his protracted move to the Bernabeu.

Willian has told ESPN he would be open to a move to Liverpool, saying: ‘There was the Manchester City bid that was turned down. Now I’m waiting for a new bid to arrive in the next days from a few clubs, like Liverpool. If it’s really Liverpool, then it is surely a great club. I’m hopeful and very calm, just waiting for the best.

‘England is my goal. I like the Premier League very much, I enjoy the English football and certainly, if that happens, it will be very good for me and for my image.’

United, who are anxious to make a big-name signing, are being offered Real Madrid playmaker Mesut Ozil for £40m. The Germany star, 24, was a target for Sir Alex Ferguson after the 2010 World Cup but he joined Real instead for £12.5m. Now he is ready to quit the Spanish giants.

Ozil’s representatives have made it clear he would welcome a move to United and that Madrid could accept £35m as they look to fund a world-record bid for Bale.

The former Werder Bremen player is under contract until 2016 but is said to have become unsettled by Real’s pursuit of Bale just a year after they beat United to sign Luka Modric from Spurs. Moyes primarily wants a midfield general and Modric is also in his thinking if the champions admit defeat in their attempts to sign Cesc Fabregas from Barcelona.

The United manager insisted yesterday that he expects to sign players before the transfer window closes. ‘This was always going to be a difficult window for me because I joined United on July 1, so it has given me a short period to get to know the players and the market,’ he admitted. ‘But I’m confident we’ll get players in.’ Moyes has a back-up option in his old Everton midfielder Marouane Fellaini but is mindful that the Belgian would not be the headline signing he wants as his first piece of transfer business at United.

Everton boss Roberto Martinez yesterday warned United to forget about trying to take Fellaini on the cheap. Moyes is expected to launch a bid to land Fellaini, for whom he broke Everton’s transfer record when buying him for £15m in 2008.

Everton have not received an offer for Fellaini since the £23m buy-out clause in his deal lapsed on July 31 and it is thought United will offer less than £23m.

But Martinez warned: ‘When you are in a strong position financially you will never sell a player for less than the buy-out clause. But we haven’t received an offer for Fellaini. Maybe clubs know he is happy at Everton.’

The Leighton Baines situation is simpler, after Everton rebuffed United’s £12m bid. ‘They said it was their final offer,’ said Martinez.

No doubt would have been leaked by now if true.

I'm surprised Arsenal never went for Fellani especially with his release clause.

I agree, but that's too obvious for Wenger.

File along with guys Hangeland, Samba, Cahill, Dembele, De Jong, Lloris, Capoue & Demba Ba as guys who were exactly what Wenger has needed at various points over the past half a decade or so but decided to ignore anyway.

Probably wary of a one season wonder.

If he continues to impress I fully expect a few bids in January.

That's what I would suspect too.

His form tailed off massively after the League Cup final and managers are probably reluctant to commit to a bid until they see if he can rediscover his form at the beginning of this campaign, especially when you see how 'hot' Jelavic was in his first six months and how 'cold' he ended up last year.

papertalk-logos-thesun.gif

• Manchester United boss David Moyes has accused the Premier League of a fixture conspiracy.
  • Brendan Rodgers insists he will not let Luis Suarez sabotage Liverpool's season.
  • England boss Roy Hodgson has warned blunder goalkeeper Joe Hart: I'll be watching you.
  • Tottenham expect to sign a new 'Ossie' today with the £15million capture of Pablo Osvaldo.
  • Gareth Bale has been giving Tottenham the silent treatment as he tries to force through his dream move to Real Madrid.
  • West Ham have stepped up their interest in Feyenoord defender Bruno Martins Indi.
  • Cardiff are ready to table a £4.5million bid for Ecuador international Jefferson Montero.
  • Yossi Benayoun is weighing up offers from Crystal Palace and clubs in Spain.
  • Jamie O'Hara is a target for Blackpool and Doncaster.

papertalk-logos-dailymirror.gif

• Gareth Bale is giving Tottenham the silent treatment to force a move to Real Madrid.
  • Liverpool boss Brendan Rodgers had told Luis Suarez: "You won't sabotage our season."
  • Mikel Arteta has dealt Arsenal a devastating injury blow - which will put even more pressure on Arsene Wenger to buy.
  • Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger must double his bid to land Ashley Williams from Swansea.
  • Manchester United boss David Moyes is considering a bid for Real Madrid star Mesut Ozil.
  • Cardiff want to sign Ecuador winger Jefferson Montero - after tabling a £4.7million offer to his Mexican club Morelias.
  • QPR's bid for Duvan Zapata could be gazumped by Napoli, who have offered a bigger fee for the striker.
  • Darren Bent is set to join Fulham on a season-long loan move.

papertalk-logos-dailystar.gif

• Gareth Bale is giving Tottenham boss Andre Villas-Boas the silent treatment as he waits for his big move to Real Madrid.
  • Chelsea are just days away from giving up on Wayne Rooney and Jose Mourinho is ready to push through a deal for Samuel Eto'o if he cannot land his main target.

papertalk-logos-dailymail.gif

• David Moyes last night took a leaf out of Sir Alex Ferguson's management book and criticised the Premier League over Manchester United's opening fixtures.
  • Manchester United manager David Moyes has entered the race to bring Willian to the Premier League.
  • Stoke have switched their attention to Rennes forward Mevlut Erdinc.
  • Sunderland are considering a move for QPR left-back Armand Traore.
  • Tottenham have told QPR that Andros Townsend will cost £8million.
  • West Ham striker Modibo Maiga is going to St Etienne on loan.
  • Crystal Palace are considering a move for former Chelsea defender Khalid Boulahrouz.
  • Cardiff have renewed their interest in West Brom striker Peter Odemwingie.

papertalk-logos-dailyexpress.gif

• Joe Hart's status as England's undisputed number one is under threat for the first time after Roy Hodgson admitted he would monitor his form in the aftermath of his high-profile error against Scotland.

papertalk-logos-dailytelegraph.gif

• Gareth Bale's frustration with Tottenham is threatening to boil over after Andre Villas-Boas revealed he is unlikely to play again this month as the stand-off intensifies.
  • Brendan Rodgers insists Luis Suarez will not be allowed to "sabotage" Liverpool's attempts to qualify for the Champions League after claiming the time has come to stop discussing the transfer-seeking forward.

papertalk-logos-thetimes.gif

• Andre Villas-Boas has admitted Gareth Bale could have played his last game for Tottenham after saying that he has become an isolated figure at the club as Real Madrid continue their efforts to sign him.
  • Roma have agreed to sell Pablo Osvaldo to Southampton for £15million, but the Italy forward needs to be convinced as he wants a move to London.
  • Chelsea are claimed to have set a deadline of signing Wayne Rooney by August 26 or they will end their efforts.

Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger wants as many as three new signings before the transfer window closes on 2 September.

He said: "Ideally you would want to be quicker, but to finalise transfer you need agreement of three parties. You could see that our main rivals, it is not easy. You look at us, Chelsea and Manchester United - It's difficult to find quality players to strengthen the team and squad because there is a shortage of top players who are available.

"It's impossible to give you a number. The first request is quality to play for Arsenal Football Club. After the number comes in, yes we would like two or three players, if possible more. But we won't compromise on the quality of the players."

Wenger is talking shite.

It's easier for Arsenal to get quality than it is for Man Utd or Chelsea because they don't have that level of player to begin with.

If they wanted to Arsenal could have gone and got Cesar, Williams, Capoue, Eto'o & somebody like Sinclair as a useful squad player for under 30 million which is not a lot of money in this day and age and it would improve them ten fold.

What is Wenger doing?

He is days away from the new season and has only brought in 1 youngster while offloading several first team players.

Losing out to Wolfsburg is a new low for them, what have they been doing all summer?

I bet Arteta feels like an idiot now with his comments earlier.

Arsenal have become a joke in this window , so many good players have moved for money that arsenal could easily afford but they havent made any moves for them.

Top 4 finish is good for the CL but is it maybe time for wenger to move on in order for the club to take that next step ?

Reading the daily mail and they only have something like 10 fit first team players at the moment and that includes the likes of frimpong and bentdner