Rangers played in 4 European Final games in 11 years

cenotaph

It's only three finals (2 legs don't mean two finals).

Where is Manchester on your list? Plenty of non prods in that team.

Our greatest times in living memory ie. 9 in a row!!!! were achieved by abandoning this archiac signing policy, It's a complete falacy to suggest we were better off with a team full of protestants.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Proud of a great many of our former players including but not restricted to the ones listed above. A remarkable achievement BTW.

Equally proud of players like Amo, Porrini, Amato, who gave 100% every-time they pulled on the blue jersey and even Wee McCann. All players who represented the club well off the park as well.

Do any of them believe in some omnipotent being?? I really don't know or care just as I don't care if they believe in characters from Greek mythology.

Proud of our past ----- Excited about our future.

I couldn't agree more. Look at Albertz and Novo for True Blues as well. In actual fact Mo Johnston and Neil McCann are examples of "born tims" who couldn't have tried harder whilst playing for Rangers. Both now have more affinity for RFC than the other lot. I think in the main that many of the RCs who played or play for us don't really bother with religion. Same as most folk in modern times.

It's only three finals (2 legs don't mean two finals).

Where is Manchester on your list? Plenty of non prods in that team.

Our greatest times in living memory ie. 9 in a row!!!! were achieved by abandoning this archiac signing policy, It's a complete falacy to suggest we were better off with a team full of protestants.

1. Is reading not your strong point? the heading was European Final GAMES

2. Manchester is not on the list as it is recent history, the point i was trying to make ( if your reading skills would allow ) is that there is nothing to be ashamed about in our proud history.

3. The last 9 IAR was our SECOND 9IAR

4. Dont think i ever said we were " better off " but i'm most certainly not ashamed that we had a team full of Protestants over this period.

bunch of no church goers rattling on about religion is my bet.

To be fair, you don't need to practice your religion in church. There have been plenty rogues who practiced their religion in church or whatever but didn't adhere to the principles of their religion. I just want to see good players showing their ability and desire to win for Rangers without knowing or seeing their religion.

2. Manchester is not on the list as it is recent history, the point i was trying to make ( if your reading skills would allow ) is that there is nothing to be ashamed about in our proud history.

4. Dont think i ever said we were " better off " but i'm most certainly not ashamed that we had a team full of Protestants over this period.

There's nothing to be ashamed of signing non protestants either, you post is pointless and I question whether "shame" was on your agenda to start with, no one is ashamed of our past and why you bring that up is strange. We've only achieved one 9 in a row but I'm sure you'll contradict this, thus trying to diminish its achievement in the first place.

Manchester is an example of what Rangers can achieve in the modern game with a modern signing policy.

bunch of no church goers rattling on about religion is my bet.

I would imagine that not everyone has served in the Armed Forces but are proud of the sacrafices that those who were members of the Armed Forces have made for us.

Those were the days and nobody can take away the memories. Some of our own fans seem to have a problem that we are regarded as the Protestant team, just as i have no problem with signing players of any religion. People can put all the spin they like on it, but Rangers and the darkside made good money being known as Protestant and Catholic clubs.

There's nothing to be ashamed of signing non protestants either, you post is pointless and I question whether "shame" was on your agenda to start with, no one is ashamed of our past and why you bring that up is strange. We've only achieved one 9 in a row but I'm sure you'll contradict this, thus trying to diminish its achievement in the first place.

Manchester is an example of what Rangers can achieve in the modern game with a modern signing policy.

1. 1939

2. 1940

3. 1941

4. 1942

5. 1943

6. 1944

7. 1945

8. 1946

9. 1947

To be fair, you don't need to practice your religion in church. There have been plenty rogues who practiced their religion in church or whatever but didn't adhere to the principles of their religion. I just want to see good players showing their ability and desire to win for Rangers without knowing or seeing their religion.

Agree re the church scenario as was one of the things re Reformation, that man can speak to God(if he believes) anywhere. Re the players yes a number of players have come from rc backgrounds and have taken the club to their heart.

The point the OP made is that we should not ignore our past and lets be upfront that is by far and away what has attracted the majority of us and fathers and grandfathers to the club......which in turn gave the club the resources to expand..............why did this come about..........well the blatant bigotry of our neighbours over the city................this our doors have been open to anyone.............yeah right!!. This is another nice snow job, prior to the 60s they really tried hard to have an all rc team on the park ............and failed miserably. And they played this card so well that they have fooled everyone into believing it's true.

I had the privilege to become friends and go to the games with a guy years ago who was a regular attender at rc services and had been a season ticket holder from the 70s ..........his son attended an rc school and a fine Rangers fan...................and when his dad died at the service , he said my dad had a few faults, he liked a drink and caused problems at home because of this. But he told me to stick up for what I believed in............and three things he said to me .............

You can always change your religion

You can always change your wife the look on the priests face that day....and after the next one ...................

You can never change the football team you love........................

That's why my dad is in there with his Rangers jacket and tie on , his season book and money to renew it in heaven.

John was a great bear and his son is also a great bear and would not be surprised if his youngster will follow on the family footsteps.

So yes guys can play for the club and fall in love , and good for them.

I would imagine that not everyone has served in the Armed Forces but are proud of the sacrafices that those who were members of the Armed Forces have made for us.

On slightly similar vein, you don't have to be religious to see the significance that the Reformation had on British and World development.

Agree re the church scenario as was one of the things re Reformation, that man can speak to God(if he believes) anywhere. Re the players yes a number of players have come from rc backgrounds and have taken the club to their heart.

The point the OP made is that we should not ignore our past and lets be upfront that is by far and away what has attracted the majority of us and fathers and grandfathers to the club......which in turn gave the club the resources to expand..............why did this come about..........well the blatant bigotry of our neighbours over the city................this our doors have been open to anyone.............yeah right!!. This is another nice snow job, prior to the 60s they really tried hard to have an all rc team on the park ............and failed miserably. And they played this card so well that they have fooled everyone into believing it's true.

I had the privilege to become friends and go to the games with a guy years ago who was a regular attender at rc services and had been a season ticket holder from the 70s ..........his son attended an rc school and a fine Rangers fan...................and when his dad died at the service , he said my dad had a few faults, he liked a drink and caused problems at home because of this. But he told me to stick up for what I believed in............and three things he said to me .............

You can always change your wife the look on the priests face that day....and after the next one ...................

That's why my dad is in there with his Rangers jacket and tie on , his season book and money to renew it in heaven.

John was a great bear and his son is also a great bear and would not be surprised if his youngster will follow on the family footsteps.

Approve :praise:

I fully appreciate where you are coming from on this. I just hadn't expanded on it. I also agree that we shouldn't be afraid to recognise that our Club had Presbyterian roots although that wasn't a planned religious aspect at the time (unlike our really bigoted rivals).

Spot on.....it was all about enlightenment and man had the right to free speech, thinking and education.

In my opinion, the two things that made this country GREAT were the Reformation and the Union of 1707. These led to the UK becoming a truly great nation. History shows what a positive impact the Reformation had on the World. Countries like Britain and Germany in particular thrived on the Protestant work ethic free from the shackles of the catholic church at that time.

In my opinion, the two things that made this country GREAT were the Reformation and the Union of 1707. These led to the UK becoming a truly great nation. History shows what a positive impact the Reformation had on the World. Countries like Britain and Germany in particular thrived on the Protestant work ethic free from the shackles of the catholic church at that time.

That is a well known fact and also played huge part in the creation of the USA.

You're proud of something that you can't see the validity of?

Validity of our history? ?? does our footballing history not exist ? did we not win 54 titles and counting ? Did Mr Struth not make those speeches?

Of course I am proud of our history!

Exactly, we got two NIAR's and satans minions only got one, which apparently annoys them immensely. They just cant accept it.

Validity of our history? ?? does our footballing history not exist ? did we not win 54 titles and counting ? Did Mr Struth not make those speeches?

Of course I am proud of our history!

That history that was built on the back of protestant men and women. The support, the players and the directors of the club.

You claimed 'but fail to see that playing a protestant team means anything one way or another.'

You can't have it both ways. Our footballing history would not exist without those who built it. Neither their role or protestant heritage and culture.

So - it means a lot. It validates much of our history. And you claim it doesn't mean anything.

I expected you might attempt to skirt around the issue - so here's your chance to state your case. Tell us how you can be proud of our history whilst simultaneously denying huge tracts of it that really does mean something.

That history that was built on the back of protestant men and women. The support, the players and the directors of the club.

You claimed 'but fail to see that playing a protestant team means anything one way or another.'

You can't have it both ways. Our footballing history would not exist without those who built it. Neither their role or protestant heritage and culture.

So - it means a lot. It validates much of our history. And you claim it doesn't mean anything.

I expected you might attempt to skirt around the issue - so here's your chance to state your case. Tell us how you can be proud of our history whilst simultaneously denying huge tracts of it that really does mean something.

Good post Moses. (tu)

Good post Moses. (tu)

BP9 refused to address the issue at the first time of asking - and has been complaining loudly that other posters repeatedly insult him rather than debate any given point.

So, no insults so far - here's his big chance to explain why he 'fails' to understand the meaning of the profoundly important role of protestants in the history of our club.

I'll put my cards on the table and state that I find the denial of our protestant heritage to be insulting.