Lambert walked out on Norwich

I mean, I'm sure you can see why it's depressing to see a manager leave a club with which he has had astonishing success to take over a club that finished below his current club in the league, just because they are nominally "bigger" and richer. Is that what football is about? Is that ambition? To be the next failed Aston Villa manager?

Just saw the edit.

I can't say I see it as depressing to be honest. Rodgers and Lambert were managers stuck in lower league mediocrity about three years ago, now they're both getting the chance to manage a big club in England. True both of those clubs have declined greatly from what they used to be but the potential is always there, and it's a good challenge to try and get them back to the top. If Norwich and/or Swansea ended up with second season syndrome next season would they get the same offers?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just saw the edit.

I can't say I see it as depressing to be honest. Rodgers and Lambert were managers stuck in lower league mediocrity about three years ago, now they're both getting the chance to manage a big club in England. True both of those clubs have declined greatly from what they used to be but the potential is always there, and it's a good challenge to try and get them back to the top. If Norwich and/or Swansea ended up with second season syndrome next season would they get the same offers?

It is a challenge, I would say, that is superior to their capabilities. Or anybody's, really. My prediction is that Lambert and Rodgers will not achieve enough at Liverpool and Villa to satisfy the fans, nor enough to accurately reflect their considerable talents. The wrong clubs, too soon.

And I'm not sure I understand how risking failure at a bigger club is preferable to risking failure at their current clubs. The latter would be excused by your own expression - second season syndrome. The former will be blamed on them being out of their depth.

It is a challenge, I would say, that is superior to their capabilities. Or anybody's, really. My prediction is that Lambert and Rodgers will not achieve enough at Liverpool and Villa to satisfy the fans, nor enough to accurately reflect their considerable talents. The wrong clubs, too soon.

And I'm not sure I understand how risking failure at a bigger club is preferable to risking failure at their current clubs. The latter would be excused by your own expression - second season syndrome. The former will be blamed on them being out of their depth.

True, although if it does go wrong their CV's would still probably bring about offers to fall back on from clubs in a similar bracket to Norwich and Swansea.

True, although if it does go wrong their CV's would still probably bring about offers to fall back on from clubs in a similar bracket to Norwich and Swansea.

This is true, and I suppose nothing ventured, nothing gained, but I just think everybody in football is too impatient these days.

When you look at the EPL there is something wrong where clubs like AV and Everton, perhaps Liverpool and Tottenham, big clubs, have no chance whatsoever of ever winning it. 20 years ago that wasn't the case, but "it is now", and it will one day be the undoing of the English League. The above mentioned are about tier two; they will permanently be stuck there, and there won't be a thing they can do about it. Lambert will go there, the kick and rush route one football of O'Neil will improve them on the last few seasons, and then they will stagnate.

Come on, it's been more than twenty years since Tottenham stood a realistic chance of winning the Premier League. I'd say that the Premier League is strong in terms of the number of clubs challenging. It's not that long ago that Everton finished in a Champions League spot. Newcastle United challenged for a Champions League place last season. And two years ago the Toon was in the Championship. It's not that long ago that Manchester City, recently crowned champions, was in what is now League One.

Even down to the glasses and track suit. Norwich play pathetic football, and he will get found out at Villa. It might take two seasons, but Villa have a bigger problem than someone like Lambert can solve, and that is that they are playing in a League that is three tier, and they are stuck in tier two, and will be there till the money bubble bursts.

Not having a go at you...but can you define "pathetic football" and if it differs from a certain players description of us as playing "anti-football"? If not then is the latter more justified than the former, as the gulf in wealth in the two circumstances is similar.

Just want to hear your opinion on both, I will never slate someone for wanting to see teams play entertaining football, as that is what football is about, entertainment.

Paul Lambert did an incredibly good job at Norwich City and anyone who thinks differently is plain wrong.

NO loyalty whatsoever is shown to managers so Lambert, like anyone else, is right to put his own interests first.

That said, Villa are a fucking shitey club.

Not having a go at you...but can you define "pathetic football" and if it differs from a certain players description of us as playing "anti-football"? If not then is the latter more justified than the former, as the gulf in wealth in the two circumstances is similar.

Just want to hear your opinion on both, I will never slate someone for wanting to see teams play entertaining football, as that is what football is about, entertainment.

It was only my opinion about what I saw of Norwich compared to say Swansea. The anti-football definition of Rangers was not fairly representative: we played that way against Barca, but it wouldn't have been possible to have played Lyon away and win 3-0, nor to lose 3-0 at home to Lyon. I would say Messi would have been right about that match; what irked me was that it was conveniently used to by Walter's critics to state he always had his teams play that way.

From what I saw, Norwich are a route1 team; which is fair enough for Norwich, as long as people understand that O'Neil's and Lambert's methods are based on that principle.

Paul Lambert did an incredibly good job at Norwich City and anyone who thinks differently is plain wrong.

NO loyalty whatsoever is shown to managers so Lambert, like anyone else, is right to put his own interests first.

That said, Villa are a fucking shitey club.

I can criticise their style of play and recognise that he has done an incredibly good job.

Lambert has done a really good job at Norwich & deserves to move on.

I also don't think Villa are the poisoned chalice some are making them out to be. O'Neil had them competing in Europe and got back to back top six finishes which is a good achievement.

If Lambert manages to replicate it the fans should be more grateful after the last couple of seasons (tu)

I can criticise their style of play and recognise that he has done an incredibly good job.

Of course. (tu)

That said, I quite enjoyed the games I saw them play in.

The manager who I think is overrated is Brendan (ahem) Rogers. People creamed their pants over Swansea's style of play but frankly, the Arsenal victory aside, they bored the pants off me. He's done superbly well for Ducksea but people forget how poorly he did at Reading and, for me, he's got it all to prove now he is at the Grievers.

Lambert has done a really good job at Norwich & deserves to move on.

I also don't think Villa are the poisoned chalice some are making them out to be. O'Neil had them competing in Europe and got back to back top six finishes which is a good achievement.

If Lambert manages to replicate it the fans should be more grateful after the last couple of seasons (tu)

O'Neil spunked $$$ at villa which still has them crippled in debt, Mcleish had to slash the wage bill there.

They are NOT spending any more, mid table if lucky