Rangers, Arsenal & Southampton to play in memorial cup

Ricky_

http://www.rangers.co.uk/news/football-news/article/2794885

RANGERS will take part in this summer's Markus Liebherr Memorial Cup tournament along with hosts Southampton and Premiership giants Arsenal on July 14.

The Light Blues will travel to St Mary's Stadium for the unique three-team event as part of their preparations for the forthcoming SPL campaign.

Games will be 45 minutes in length and will be played on a round-robin basis, with drawn contests settled by a penalty shoot-out.

Three points will be awarded for an outright win, two will be given for a victory on spot kicks and one will go to a side which loses on efforts from 12 yards.

Ally McCoist's men will take part in the opening fixture against Saints at 5.15pm, with the second outing against Arsenal coming at 6.45pm.

In addition, the Olympic Torch will be carried for a lap of honour around the pitch in between those ties.

This will be the second time the tournament has been held and Gers are familiar with both of their opponents.

In particular, they have played Arsenal many times over the years and the clubs most recently met at the Emirates Cup in 2009, with the Gunners winning 3-0.

Of course, Arsene Wenger's squad may well include defender Kyle Bartley, who has just completed his second loan spell in Glasgow with the 54-times Scottish champions.

Former Spanish favourite Mikel Arteta is in their pool as well although he is currently sidelined through injury but Jack Wilshere, a Gers fan, should be involved.

Rangers have met Southampton on a number of occasions too, mainly in the 1970s and mostly at Ibrox in the old Texaco Cup and Tennent Caledonian Cup competitions.

They also met in a pair of testimonials for Sandy Jardine and George Horsfall in May 1982 but haven't come together since and this will be Gers' first trip to St Mary's.

Further information about Rangers' summer programme will be announced soon, as will ticket details and prices for the Liebherr event.

some football news at last.

looking forward to this, surprised to read Jack Wilshire is a gers fan. Should be good day in preparation for the new season. Will be interesting to see what support we get from down south and from Arsenal.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

looking forward to this, surprised to read Jack Wilshire is a gers fan. Should be good day or 2 down in the London in preparation for the new season. Will be interesting to see what support we get from down south and from Arsenal.

London?

As I stated in another thread, should we be spending money on glamour friendlies when the local shopkeepers are struggling for the couple of hundred pounds that are owed to them?

That said, good to see football make the news rather than other things.

As I stated in another thread, should we be spending money on glamour friendlies when the local shopkeepers are struggling for the couple of hundred pounds that are owed to them?

isn't the idea to make money rather than spend it?

How would you suggest we prepare for the new season? Other than having friendlies against top teams?

looking forward to this, surprised to read Jack Wilshire is a gers fan. Should be good day in preparation for the new season. Will be interesting to see what support we get from down south and from Arsenal.

suprised they put that in on the official site...hes arsenal through and through with a soft spot for rangers......grew fond of us after our fans perfomance was almost as amazing as his when we played em at the emirates

isn't the idea to make money rather than spend it?

Well let's hope so.

How would you suggest we prepare for the new season? Other than having friendlies against top teams?

I wouldn't necessarily say Southampton were a "top team", but I take your point. Let's just hope we have a season to to prepare for...

That glad that when football does make the news you bring up the other things?

I remember one of the manky mob chatting to Wilshire on twitter and acting all pally with him until he asked what Scottish team Wilshire supported and he said Rangers!!!!

It was a classic!!

Well let's hope so.

I wouldn't necessarily say Southampton were a "top team", but I take your point. Let's just hope we have a season to to prepare for...

Listen to yourself, you mentioned glamour friendlies then said Southampton weren't a top team, knowing fine well I was talking about Arsenal!

Anything else? You've mentioned the fact that we should be paying off creditors and that we might not be in the league next season on a thread that is about us getting back to playing football!

I'm not going to call you a taig, but your attitude is fucking hurrendous!

Listen to yourself, you mentioned glamour friendlies then said Southampton weren't a top team, knowing fine well I was talking about Arsenal!

I think you are being overly touchy.

Anything else? You've mentioned the fact that we should be paying off creditors and that we might not be in the league next season on a thread that is about us getting back to playing football!

So you think we shouldn't pay of creditors? That's fine, it's not my view, but you are entitled to it. Considering we have gone to court to get the embargo overturned yet the result of that could end up with expulsion or suspension; it's far from impossible that we won't be playing in the SPL next season. However saying "Let's hope.." is obviously not optimistic enough for you, but then maybe you are looking for reasons to complain.

I'm not going to call you a taig, but your attitude is fucking hurrendous!

Well you just did, albeit indirectly. Of course I presume if I hold any contrary views to you then I am effectively "not as good a supporter as you"? And you wonder why I haven't commented on here until recently.