Coisty’s praise as Gattuso eyes deal

RINO GATTUSO is willing to turn down MILLIONS to play for Rangers, Ally McCoist revealed yesterday.

The Ibrox boss admitted he had spoken to Gattuso — and that the diehard Gers fan wants to return to Glasgow.

Gattuso has received mega-bucks offers from China and the Middle East.

But McCoist told SunSport: “We have one major pull. He has a deep feeling for the club. “It’s a move that definitely appeals to him and his wife Monica.”

Chinese SuperLeague outfit Guangzhou Evergrande — bossed by Gattuso’s former coach Marcello Lippi — have already made the ex-Ibrox favourite a big-money offer.

Cash is no object in China where Lippi signed a two-and-a-half year deal worth an incredible £200,000 a WEEK in May.

The Italian is also wanted in the Middle East.

Gattuso, 34, would be able to name his deal on the recommendation of his former national team boss in China and the same would apply in the oil-rich Middle East.

He would earn only £12,000 a week if he were to opt for a return to Ibrox.

McCoist yesterday admitted for the first time he had made personal contact with his former Gers team-mate.

He said: “I’ve spoken to Rino and he’s someone we’d be interested if the time comes when we’re able to sign players.

“I know his agent has spoken to Charles Green and Andrew Dickson at the club and I know Rino’s own thoughts.

“But I also know he has had offers from China and the Middle East and maybe elsewhere.

“Given the sums of money that are on offer in those places it’s fair to say he wants to come to Rangers for family reasons and not financial ones.”

Gattuso’s father-in-law Mario Romano died in November and wife Monica is keen to return to help look after mum Pina.

Any Ibrox return will be on ice as long as the transfer embargo is in place. And Gattuso may not be able to delay a decision while he waits for a solution to Gers’ problems.

http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/spl/4364449/Coistys-praise-as-Gattuso-eyes-deal.html

I can see pro's and cons about us resigning Gattuso. But £12,000 a week is a big ask for us. Personally I feel it's too much. We must not start to live without our means again. Regardless of who it is.

No player is bigger than the club, afterall.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I can see pro's and cons about us resigning Gattuso. But £12,000 a week is a big ask for us. Personally I feel it's too much. We must not start to live without our means again. Regardless of who it is.

green said no contract offer was discussed or offered to gattuso's agent.

£12k a week is not a big ask to a club whos turnover is between £35m and £40m, in fact i think it is very safe to assume £12k a week is most certainly not out of our means. :lol: If you want to talk about what is out of our means then, paying a goalkeeper almost £30k a week i give you is out of our league!

I think 12k a week is a sum we should be looking to have as around the highest, it's rumoured that Whitts, Davis etc. are on even higher wages but signing Gattuso (who played 38 games for Milan in the 10-11 season, only 7 last season because of an eye problem) for around that per week is a bargain, he might be passed his prime but he'd kick our midfield into shape. Hope this ban is overturned, I wouldn't care if we didn't actually buy players as there are plenty talented free agents on the market atm. (tu)

... And we'll have to cut back on our wage budget as it is. Were living way above our means with the players we have.

That does not mean we have to start paying players the same wages a Hearts or Hibs do. Our problems are bigger than just offering one player a wage. It is a collective problem, from money leaving our clubs account and going to non football repayments, paying a group of players huge salaries way above everyone else, paying mediocre players wages when they are sat on the bench all season, and generally just wasting whatever money our club does bring in. If we want to live within our means, and we must, Davis, McGregor and Whittaker will all have to go, those are the salaries we cannot afford. Having a squad made up of 25 - 40 first team players is obviously out of our means, numbers need cut as much as anything. Last season we had a huge squad and it was not utilised nearly enough for whatever reason.

Also the players who have left in the past few months would have cut out loss's greatly. Guys like Weir, McMillan, Jelavic, Wylde, Celik, Bendiksen etc etc We won't be nearly as far away from breaking even as we were last summer.

(tu)

£12k a week is not a big ask to a club whos turnover is between £35m and £40m, in fact i think it is very safe to assume £12k a week is most certainly not out of our means. :lol: If you want to talk about what is out of our means then, paying a goalkeeper almost £30k a week i give you is out of our league!

We have to slash our wage budget, not add to it. Is giving a 34 year old a £12,000 a week contract (basic) acting in good financial sense. Especially when we have no European income to back it up?

If were getting rid of some of our high earners like McGregor, Whittaker, Davis. I'd rather look towards reinvesting it into younger players with some sell on potential. Not over spend on wages for the sake of bringing Gattuso back.

You make a very good point DB but I have confidence we wouldn't be entertaining the thought of Gattuso if it wasn't a goer.

A leader of the youngsters next season,what an experience for them.

Depends what were left with though, if it's a clear out of our high earners for Gattuso to come in then fair enough. But if it's just to add to us. At this stage of his career, I'd rather keep the likes of Davis and Edu backing up McCabe and Ness.

We have to slash our wage budget, not add to it. Is giving a 34 year old a £12,000 a week contract (basic) acting in good financial sense. Especially when we have no European income to back it up?

If were getting rid of some of our high earners like McGregor, Whittaker, Davis. I'd rather look towards reinvesting it into younger players with some sell on potential. Not over spend on wages for the sake of bringing Gattuso back.

£12k per week is an average salary for our club. Of course we need to slash it but we cannot just slash it and not give Ally any replacements, nor can we short change our fans or our clubs traditions by bringing in mediocre bog standard SPL players on a few grand a week, we are better, bigger and richer than that! We don't play to crowds of 4 and 5 thousand nor is our turnover in 7 figures, we are big business, we have just been run very poorly in the past.

We have enough young players, plenty in fact, they need experienced help, men to compliment them and men don't come bigger or more glittering than Rino the Bambino!

Again, £12k per week is not over spending. Giving out contracts worth over £20k each per week for a goalkeeper and right back IS! (tu)

12k for what would be the most experienced and one of the most talented in the team (at what he does) a leader for the younger lads and a shirt seller ? Not too bad

It is phenomenal business, plus i expect Edu and Davis to leave this summer(for different reasons) which will free up about £30k per week with 12 of that going to Gattuso. Not too bad at all.

That does not mean we have to start paying players the same wages a Hearts or Hibs do. Our problems are bigger than just offering one player a wage. It is a collective problem, from money leaving our clubs account and going to non football repayments, paying a group of players huge salaries way above everyone else, paying mediocre players wages when they are sat on the bench all season, and generally just wasting whatever money our club does bring in. If we want to live within our means, and we must, Davis, McGregor and Whittaker will all have to go, those are the salaries we cannot afford. Having a squad made up of 25 - 40 first team players is obviously out of our means, numbers need cut as much as anything. Last season we had a huge squad and it was not utilised nearly enough for whatever reason.

Also the players who have left in the past few months would have cut out loss's greatly. Guys like Weir, McMillan, Jelavic, Wylde, Celik, Bendiksen etc etc We won't be nearly as far away from breaking even as we were last summer.

(tu)

Nobody is mentioning a budget close to Hearts or Hibs, if that was the case we'd be slashing our wage bill much lower than the figurs mentioned. But we have to cut costs and act in a SPL budget. Like it or not, £12,000 a week will be one of our highest earners in years to come.

Nobody is mentioning a budget close to Hearts or Hibs, if that was the case we'd be slashing our wage bill much lower than the figurs mentioned. But we have to cut costs and act in a SPL budget. Like it or not, £12,000 a week will be one of our highest earners in years to come.

And you don't think a man with Gattuso experience and skill deserves to be a higher earner?

£12k per week is an average salary for our club. Of course we need to slash it but we cannot just slash it and not give Ally any replacements, nor can we short change our fans or our clubs traditions by bringing in mediocre bog standard SPL players on a few grand a week, we are better, bigger and richer than that! We don't play to crowds of 4 and 5 thousand nor is our turnover in 7 figures, we are big business, we have just been run very poorly in the past.

We have enough young players, plenty in fact, they need experienced help, men to compliment them and men don't come bigger or more glittering than Rino the Bambino!

Again, £12k per week is not over spending. Giving out contracts worth over £20k each per week for a goalkeeper and right back IS! (tu)

£12k a week will be one of our high earners in years to come, as we cut back.

i'd like to see this happen. he's been in Italy for what, 14 years? hopefully he'll show the younger Scottish players what it actually means to train and look after yourself. lets get rid of the 10am-1pm training and start players earning their money. i think he could be a great influence on the younger lads.

and we could always get rid of whittaker if we want to free up wages :sherlock:

Depends what were left with though, if it's a clear out of our high earners for Gattuso to come in then fair enough. But if it's just to add to us. At this stage of his career, I'd rather keep the likes of Davis and Edu backing up McCabe and Ness.

I think a few will move on hence why he would be affordable,I said in another thread he would be our Davie Weir figure,all going well.

The experience he could pass on to the players you mentioned is priceless.