Zinedine Zidane

Best player ever?

One of my biggest regrets is never getting to see this guy play in real life. He could win matches on his own and relied on nobody for help, unlike the modern "best players" who are best with great players around them. He won a champions league and almost single handedly won a world cup (and got his team to the final of another). In my opinion he is the best to have played the game, what do you think? Check the video to remind yourself of how sublime he was :drool:

from 7:10 on it shows just how he ran the games. best. player. ever.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Best player ever?

One of my biggest regrets is never getting to see this guy play in real life. He could win matches on his own and relied on nobody for help, unlike the modern "best players" who are best with great players around them. He won a champions league and almost single handedly won a world cup (and got his team to the final of another). In my opinion he is the best to have played the game, what do you think? Check the video to remind yourself of how sublime he was :drool:

from 7:10 on it shows just how he ran the games. best. player. ever.

Loved him.

Went over to watch Real madrid just to see him live. It was a treat. he made the ball talk. Made even the most difficult things look simple.

Great, great player and a mean headbutter too.

and almost single handedly won a world cup

Eh? Because he scored twice in the final?

Remarkable revisionism here :lol: If they had won in 2006, that would be a more reasonable (but still inaccurate claim). Zidane was not France's best player in 1998.

Eh? Because he scored twice in the final?

Remarkable revisionism here :lol: If they had won in 2006, that would be a more reasonable (but still inaccurate claim). Zidane was not France's best player in 1998.

Wasn't he sent off in a 1st round game and then suspended for 2?

Anyway, I would say that Zidane is in the very top tier in terms of big-game impact. Few sportsmen have ever been so reliable (headbutt notwithstanding) under enormous pressure. He was never the most dominating player from ordinary game to ordinary game though and, to my tastes at least, was a little too fond of unnecessary showboating. He did the simple things more beautifully than anyone, and that's why it always irked me to see him doing daft little spins in his own half under no pressure and stuff like that.

I'd rather have Messi in my club team for a league campaign and I'd rather have Zidane playing for my country in a World Cup final.

Anyway, I would say that Zidane is in the very top tier in terms of big-game impact. Few sportsmen have ever been so reliable (headbutt notwithstanding) under enormous pressure. He was never the most dominating player from ordinary game to ordinary game though and, to my tastes at least, was a little too fond of unnecessary showboating. He did the simple things more beautifully than anyone, and that's why it always irked me to see him doing daft little spins in his own half under no pressure and stuff like that.

I'd rather have Messi in my club team for a league campaign and I'd rather have Zidane playing for my country in a World Cup final.

Good post. Agree with much of that, except that I loved the spins.

A pure artist.

Wasn't he sent off in a 1st round game and then suspended for 2?

Yup.

He was decent in the games he played up to the final if I remember right, but not incredible. He never even made the top three players of the tournament according to FIFA. I would credit the whole defence and especially Thuram for France's triumph before I would credit Zidane.

Yup.

He was decent in the games he played up to the final if I remember right, but not incredible. He never even made the top three players of the tournament according to FIFA. I would credit the whole defence and especially Thuram for France's triumph before I would credit Zidane.

I seem to recall some criticism of his displays for Juventus in some of the big Chumps League games too.

For me, he was at his peak when with Real Madrid. He was outstanding in at least 2 Chumps League finals for them.

Think you are under-rating him a little. He bossed just about every game with ease but I do agree he stepped it up for the big games.

Good post. Agree with much of that, except that I loved the spins.

A pure artist.

Sometimes his flashy stuff was necessary, and his close control under pressure was a joy to watch, but sometimes I just felt it was over-the-top and unbecoming of so great a player :lol:

As far as I'm concerned, it is impossible to do a stepover without looking like a prick.

One of my favourites and definitely up there. Just so elegant on the ball. Watched a couple of videos this morning actually - against brazil in 2006 he was just... :drool:

In terms of the 98 world cup I don't think he was quite the player he would become - turn of the century I believe he stepped it up.

Think you are under-rating him a little. He bossed just about every game with ease but I do agree he stepped it up for the big games.

Yeah, but he didn't though. As OneDavidCooper mentioned, he never really managed to show what he could do when it mattered for Juventus at the highest level and was liable to kind of glide through less important games doing attractive but inconsequential things that delighted the fans but didn't really actually contribute to anything.

When he really turned it on, he was Pele/Maradona level. I'm not underrating him at all. I rated him enormously highly, just not as often as I would have liked.

My favourite ever player!

One thing that always gets me though is the fact is was his very last game and also the biggest yet he still had the balls to chip the penalty :lol:

Nutter!

That is still the greatest display of nerve I have ever seen from any sportsman. Kind of overshadowed in the end by the headbutt but it was ridiculous. To do that, in a world cup final, in your last game, against the best goalkeeper in the world...

I think in terms of pure skill Zidane is top 10-15 ever. Different story though if we'll count in his leadership, mental toughness, ability to make those around him better, or to show up in most important games. So I think he is not the best player ever, but if we could pick any player from any era to start a team most coaches would choose Zidane first, cause you start with a captain, right? :pipe: Anyway, my most favourite player ever for sure; I even have for EURO 2012 polish national team shirt but with Zidane on the back :beer1:

I think in terms of pure skill Zidane is top 10-15 ever. Different story though if we'll count in his leadership, mental toughness, ability to make those around him better, or to show up in most important games. So I think he is not the best player ever, but if we could pick any player from any era to start a team most coaches would choose Zidane first, cause you start with a captain, right? :pipe: Anyway, my most favourite player ever for sure; I even have for EURO 2012 polish national team shirt but with Zidane on the back :beer1:

What did Zidane achieve as a captain?