Roberto Di Matteo Given 1 Year Deal.

Chelsea are expected to confirm the permanent appointment of Roberto Di Matteo as manager this week.

The Italian's representatives spent the weekend in talks with Chelsea officials and the 41-year-old has been assured he is the man Roman Abramovich wants. Di Matteo has agreed to accept the position in principle and the remaining contractual issues are expected to be ironed out this week.

The former West Brom manager returns from a family holiday on Wednesday. It is thought Chelsea are likely to wait until Di Matteo is back in London before making an official announcement. Di Matteo was appointed interim coach following the sacking of Andre Villas-Boas in March. He led Chelsea to a historic Champions League triumph over Bayern Munich last month and also lifted the FA Cup as he lost just three out of 21 matches to restore much-needed pride to Stamford Bridge.

Di Matteo's case was strengthened by the willingness of the senior players to see him handed the chance to build on last season's triumphs. One issue that remains unresolved, however, is the length of the contract. Di Matteo had expressed a reluctance to accept a short-term deal, fearing it would affect his authority at the club and his ability to make long-term decisions. It is now thought the most likely scenario will see both parties agree to a longer contract with a clause that would allow either to break it after 12 months. Di Matteo's case was strengthened by the willingness of the senior players to see him handed the chance to build on last season's triumphs.

My link

Doesn't sound like he'll last long.

Agree.

He did do amazingly well getting them to the CL final and winning it but RA wants total football at Chelsea and has already spent big bringing in Hazard so unless he gets them challenging for top spot in the EPL he will be gone pretty quickly imo.

never spent 1 penny, won them the champions league, countless managers have spent big, tried to win it and failed, along comes a guy mid way through the season pissing all over previous managers work and showing them how its done, may not have been pretty to watch but it was successful

Guardiola :anguish:

RDM can actually manage rather than encourage, would much rather he be given a larger contract.

In terms of managers and length of contract I think this is the best thing for Chelsea considering they shed out millions every season they sack one of these managers on 4 or 5 years deals.

From what I understand there is a clause to extend the deal if all goes well but can separate at the end of the year is up if not. I really just think this is to give Pep the break and then try to go in for him after next season….though I doubt they will get him as I have a feeling he will go back to Barca.