HMRC

GMac

Statement on Rangers Football Club

"A liquidation provides the best opportunity to protect taxpayers, by allowing the potential investigation and pursuit of possible claims against those responsible for the company’s financial affairs in recent years. A CVA would restrict the scope of such action. Moreover the liquidation route does not prejudice the proposed sale of the club. This sale can take place either through a CVA or a liquidation.

So the sale is not being undermined, it simply takes a different route. Liquidation will enable a sale of the football assets to be made to a new company, thereby ensuring that football will continue at Ibrox. It also means that the new company will be free from claims or litigation in a way which would not be achievable with a CVA. Rangers can make a fresh start."

Aye right, sympathetic to Rangers?...no Euro football for 3 years, no guarantee of being competitive in the SPL, but they'll take oor money and tax receipts for the next 3 years.

My reading of it was that if a CVA had been accepted then the club could still have faced investigations and legal action. Fuck knows what that would bring up. And the vultures would be looking to penalise us even more.

I was beginning to come around to this outcome actually proving to be my preferred outcome, for many of the reasons outlined in the HMRC statement:

[*]New beginning

[*]Clear conscience

[*]No residual reasons for resentment (not from those of a sane, fair and with the ability to recognise punishment when it happens level of intelligence)

[*]A recognition of the role of individuals in the business mismanagement and their roles to be investigated (whether any money is actually retrieved by HMRC or not is actually irrelevant in my opinion as the pursuit of them at least tells the world that HMRC consider them to be personally responsible and not owing to the collective actions of the club and supporters)

[*]A clear recognition of the difference between "Company" from the "Club" i.e. there will be a new Company but the Club remains Rangers FC.

[*]Yes the loss of European football is a blow, but we can accept the punishment as part of the rules of UEFA (unlike those of the SFA where they tried to impose sanctions unavailable to them)

[*]The opportunity to watch from the lower leagues as the fuckwits in charge of the remaining SPL clubs realise just what they voted for (assuming the likes of Thompson, Liewell etc follow through on their "sporting integrity" line and vote us out of the SPL) when their revenues, SKY money, broadcasting appeal withers away like Neil Lennon's teeth.

No Surrender - we are not going away, just going elsewhere for a bit.

Not the fault of HMRC. The fault of the people who got us into this mess.

Agree with you mate but imo there are dark forces within Hmrc that made this decision.

My friend who is very high up in Hmrc was very very surprised they took this stance.

No one one will ever convince me ever is it had been a certain other club this would not all be happening

I was beginning to come around to this outcome actually proving to be my preferred outcome, for many of the reasons outlined in the HMRC statement:

[*]New beginning

[*]Clear conscience

[*]No residual reasons for resentment (not from those of a sane, fair and with the ability to recognise punishment when it happens level of intelligence)

[*]A recognition of the role of individuals in the business mismanagement and their roles to be investigated (whether any money is actually retrieved by HMRC or not is actually irrelevant in my opinion as the pursuit of them at least tells the world that HMRC consider them to be personally responsible and not owing to the collective actions of the club and supporters)

[*]A clear recognition of the difference between "Company" from the "Club" i.e. there will be a new Company but the Club remains Rangers FC.

[*]Yes the loss of European football is a blow, but we can accept the punishment as part of the rules of UEFA (unlike those of the SFA where they tried to impose sanctions unavailable to them)

[*]The opportunity to watch from the lower leagues as the fuckwits in charge of the remaining SPL clubs realise just what they voted for (assuming the likes of Thompson, Liewell etc follow through on their "sporting integrity" line and vote us out of the SPL) when their revenues, SKY money, broadcasting appeal withers away like Neil Lennon's teeth.

This is the most sensible post I have read all day

[*]New beginning

[*]Clear conscience

You've explained all that really well and I agree with it all too..

Respect! :)

Whatever happened to getting a new co ? Can we still do that or are we in too deep ?

That goes through and it appears that HMRC will make no effort to block it. However, the crucial thing is that the "old company" will now be liquidated by a company chosen by HMRC. Part of the remit of a liquidator is to investigate the circumstances behind the need for liquidation. I would think that certain people will be very worried by this development.