sky threaten to pull spl contract

tombomb

The turmoil at Rangers has taken a dramatic new twist with a report claiming that Sky Sports could keep the club in the top flight.

The Glasgow giants face being thrown into Scotland's Third Division if they head into liquidation and re-form as a new club.

But Sky has a financial gun to the head of the SPL: the Daily Record claims that the broadcaster will pull the plug on its £110 million deal to show Scottish football if Rangers head into the fourth tier.

Sky's deal only makes financial sense because of the immense commercial value of the four Old Firm derbies each season - and it is not prepared to keep the agreement in place for the minimum three seasons it would take Rangers to win promotion back to the SPL.

"No Rangers equals no Sky, unless Gers are back very soon," a source at the broadcaster told the Daily Record. "It's just not going to be commercially worth it if it's going to be any longer than 12 months with no Old Firm league games."

The threat leaves SPL club chiefs in a dilemma: the TV deal is the financial lifeblood of Scottish football, yet the clubs - and particularly their fans - want to see Rangers punished for their woeful mismanagement.

Only eight of the 12 SPL clubs need to vote for relegation to throw Rangers down the leagues, and fans are threatening to boycott their clubs if their chairmen dole out too soft a punishment. Yet the Daily Record claims half of the clubs in the SPL would go out of business without the TV cash.

A date for the SPL's debate, and vote on Rangers' relegation, is set to be scheduled for the next few days with the matter due to be settled by mid-July - and a compromise of a one-division (and therefore probably one-year) relegation looks like the preferred option.

Source yahoo.

I know we all knew this anyways just thought id post

huh?? 8 need to vote AGAINST??

i was certain that we need 8 to vote in favour of us, and very confident fo winning that.

if we only need 4 votes then we will be in the SPL withotu a shadow of a doubt.

we need to ultimaten the SPL though - no further sanctions, it's a clean slate for us or we start from scratch. We're a newco anyway, your the ones that will go through the hell of administration when the £110m SKY deal bites the dust & sponsors follow.

Repeat from other thread - Re the tv contract. I cannot comment on Sky but I know that the ESPN contract does not contain any clause there must be four old firm games or that both teams must be in the league. Instead it has very onerous clauses in their favour that basically allow them to tear up the contract whenever they like. They signed their new deal with the SPL months back but as I understand it they are very relaxed about the situation.

Rangers not being in the SPL for more than a year would be a catastrophe for all concerned. The standard of Scottish football would plummet still further. Should we care? Well given we will ultimately end up back in the SPL I think we should. Hell mend them.

Oh and as fanciful as it may sound ESPN lost the EPL yesterday. They have schedules to fill. Hardly a straight swap haha but an SFL3 with Rangers has been discussed. Mark my words.

For the.first time since febuary 14th im starting to get excited again

I've made that mistake on several occasions already, i'll hold back on any excitement until after things are 100% sorted.

Too many false dawns mean I don't think my heart or my nerves could take any more disappointment after building myself up.

I've made that mistake on several occasions already, i'll hold back on any excitement until after things are 100% sorted.

Too many false dawns mean I don't think my heart or my nerves could take any more disappointment after building myself up.

I know but now that its getting to the end of it and we know what route we are going now (mostly) then we can at least start to look forward

I'd also point out that a few weeks back ESPN spoke to the evening times and stated that even a weakened Rangers would force a renegotiation of contracts. In other words, a Rangers with point deductions, financial penalties won't be as big an attraction.