The debate Scotland will never have...

D'Artagnan

Hatred of enemies is easier and more intense than love of friends. But from men who are more anxious to injure opponents than to benefit the world at large no great good is to be expected.

(Lord Bertrand Russell)

This torrid period of history in our beloved club will leave many of us with memories, none of which are particularly pleasant. Perhaps the most indelible imprint however will be the unbridled hatred shown towards our club by the supporters of other SPL clubs.

While Scotland will have seminars on sectarianism, debates on racism, discussions on equality, it will not explore or discuss the unparalleled hatred shown towards Rangers and their support which, like a festering boil, has come to something of a head.

Many years ago I wrote an article on the follow follow website which asked the question where the Rangers Support sat in term of Allports Scale of Discrimination. Allport's Scale was devisied by Gordon Allport and American Psychologist and is often referred to by those involved in equality training in industry and also within tribunals where discrimination or prejudice is alleged.

The 5 stages of Allport's Scale are as follows :-

1. Antilocution: Antilocution means a majority group freely make jokes about a minority group. Speech is in terms of negative stereotypes and negative images. [2] This is also called hate speech [3]. It is commonly seen as harmless by the majority. Antilocution itself may not be harmful, but it sets the stage for more severe outlets for prejudice.

2. Avoidance: Members of the majority group actively avoid people in a minority group.[2] No direct harm may be intended, but harm is done through isolation.

3. Discrimination: Minority group is discriminated against by denying them opportunities and services and so putting prejudice into action.[2] Behaviors have the specific goal of harming the minority group by preventing them from achieving goals, getting education or jobs, etc. The majority group is actively trying to harm the minority.

4. Physical Attack: The majority group vandalize, burn or destroy minority group property and carry out violent attacks on individuals or groups.[2] Physical harm is done to members of the minority group.

5. Extermination: The majority group seeks extermination or removal of the minority group.[2] They attempt to eliminate either the entire or a large fraction of a group of people

Of course central to any theme or scale of discrimination is an allegation that an individual, or a group of people, have been treated differently to the norm.

Last week I listened to Brian Taylor's Big Debate on Radio Scotland, which was broadcast from Dundee. The question of Rangers and sanctions came up during the debate, with the majority of the panel acknowledging that depsite the right and wrongs of it all, the SPL needed Rangers from a financial viewpoint. When however the subject was thrown open to the audience, comments such as “cheats”, “misuse of EBT's” and “dual contracts” were very much to the fore. I expected Taylor, who was facilitating the debate, to remind everyone that Rangers had not yet been found guilty of these accusations and we are still currently awaiting the outcome of that hearing. No such reminder was forthcoming, from Taylor, or anyone else for that matter.

Does the presumption of innocence until proven guilty, which characterises Scots Law, not apply to Rangers ?

Of course in the stampede to have a kick at the ailing Rangers, the words “sporting integrity” has not only come to the fore, but it seems to be, all of a sudden, of the utmost importance to every non-Rangers supporter. Its almost ironic that 2 of the clubs who have been reported to be voting against Rangers being re-admitted to the SPL, were benefactors of the lack of concern for sporting integrity when both Aberdeen and Motherwell (3 times in fact) managed to avoid relegation due to League re-construction as well as failure of clubs eligible for promotion to bring their ground up to standard. Where were all the bastions of Sporting Integrity ?

On the subject of ground improvements, the concern for sporting integrity was once again absent, when Celtic FC failed to bring their ground up to standard post Taylor report. Rather than punish Celtic, the SFA leased them Hampden for a season. Sporting Integrity upheld ?

The only mainstream journalist I have seen commenting on this bloodlust to punish Rangers, the expression of delirium by other fans at our downfall, is remarkably, Jim Traynor, who not only states he has never seen anything like it, but suggests it has gone way too far.

It seems some will only be satisfied when the name of Rangers Football Club is airbrushed from history.

That hatred manifests itself in many ways. I was directed to a social network page which is advertising an “Anti- Rangers Protest March” I read 27 comments from those who would be attending and without exception every single one of them referred to Rangers as “the h***”. I believe Allport would refer to that as “hate speech”

Further evidence that Rangers are being treated differently from the norm was found by a few observant Bears very recently. Compare and contrast Jim Spence's blog regarding the fate of 2 football clubs.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/jimspence/2010/11/dundee_punishment_is_misguided.html

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/jimspence/2012/04/spl_fair_play_proposals_provok.html

But perhaps the greatest manifestation of hatred towards Rangers has been the movement amongst a number of football supporters to boycott their own clubs if their respective chairmen vote to re-admit Rangers to the SPL. This is despite an independent report which has outlined quite clearly the financial perils of an SPL without Rangers. It is perhaps testimony to the level of hatred being displayed that some Chairmen are suggesting they will bow to such pressure and vote not to re-admit Rangers.

To those of us who have spent the last few months doing anything to save our club, I can only describe as warped, doing anything to damage Rangers in order that I hurt another club.

Of course another “crime” Rangers were guilty of was having the audacity to challenge SFA's Independent Panel decision to impose a 12 moth transfer embargo. In the words of Dundee United Chairman Stephen Thomson...

“"There's been a lack of remorse shown. Views have hardened.

"Taking things to a court of law hasn't helped. That's certainly hardened views of people within the game. “

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18365480

So let me get this right. There is a “lack of remorse” because we dared to challenge a decision which Lord Glennie ultimately ruled was “unlawful” ? Should we have turned a blind eye to the inappropriate and unlawful punishment ? And to think these people wish to lecture us on Sporting Integrity. Perhaps Allport would refer to this as denying opportunity.

I will leave with a question I asked of you several years ago.

Where do Rangers and their support currently sit within Allport's scale. ?

I'd say we've definitely hit number 3, and possibly skipped over 4. to number 5. (they are attempting to exterminate Rangers supporters by depriving us of a Rangers to support, therein exterminating the very concept, the very ideal of a Rangers supporter)

Great read.

There has generally been a hatred towards the OF for as long as I can remember. The reason behind this resentment is money, success and an inferiority complex borne through being turned over too often.

Our rivals, with the arrival of politicians and businessmen of considerable standing have out-manoeuvred us in recent times, the so called establishment has been re-established. The main stream media is no longer dominated with sympathetic faces, with equally sympathetic pens or keyboards. We have no real presence at SPL or SFA level.

In terms of Allport's scale we are at 3.

Where do Rangers and their support currently sit within Allport's scale?

More importantly - how do we react?

The can take points from us, fine us, strip titles, relegate us, suspend us, ban us from Europe, watch our best players depart, ban us from cups, slaughter us in the media and try and mock us.

Let them do their worst. Whilst they can

Because, soon enough, we'll back at the top. And for those who are known to have helped kick us when we are down - we wont forget.

The Rangers :h34rt:

I'm sure you posted it on here D'Art, and many ridiculed it.

I doubt so many would these days (although some idiot will ineviably pop up and accuse you of belittling the Holocaust).

I think we're past 3 and touching 4 on the scale.

Given that we have a populist nationalist loudmouth leader who has contempt for traditional freedoms, who is trying to unite all of our police forces under him, I fear for our future.

The country that started the Enlightenment is sleepwalking towards tyranny.

This 'OF' of which you speak has nothing to do with this thread (imo).

Then we must agree to disagree. What we have is an uprising of all the fans who hate Rangers. They smell blood and know we are on the ropes.

I'm from the west but work in the east. Most of my colleagues support Hibs and Hearts. I can assure you they hate Celtic as much as us. They know that by putting us out the picture they can exert more leverage on Celtic.

Excellent post, I sadly think we are somewhere between 3, 4 & 5 on the scale, which to be honest is frightening.

This country has really shown its self up for what it is, an intolerant, bigoted, horrible little place. I stated on a thread a few days ago that no other group of people would have been treated this badly and a blind eye would have been turned.

Awful, awful, bastards.

I'm sure you posted it on here D'Art, and many ridiculed it.

I doubt so many would these days (although some idiot will ineviably pop up and accuse you of belittling the Holocaust).

I think we're past 3 and touching 4 on the scale.

Given that we have a populist nationalist loudmouth leader who has contempt for traditional freedoms, who is trying to unite all of our police forces under him, I fear for our future.

The country that started the Enlightenment is sleepwalking towards tyranny.

I was careful M not to repeat the mistake I made the 1st time round.

Lessons learned.

Great and yet disturbing read. Until recently say the last 12-18 months i never paid too much heed to the people who thought there was a clear bias against us, prefering to think of that as a 'mhanks viewpoint' however the last wee while has made me radicly rethink that position and i now see exactly what people mean. I used to think only the scum were against us and the likes of Hearts, Killie and Motherwell were if not our allys then at least sympathtic to us. Now i see that jelousy and blind hatred of our succsess and our history has turned a new more bitter and failed generation of club supporters against us. But whatever they think of us at least those like me, whos eyes have been opened by all this can now start to fight back against this blanket of hate that threatens our club.

There has always been a resentment towards Rangers from those who were jealous of our acheivements and the fact that what these acheivements were managed on our own with no help from anypone else. They had no means of of hurting us because they were never our equals.

Even now they are still not our equals but they see us wounded and the mob mentality has taken hold.

Cowards will always behave in a more vicious manner than those who will look you in the eye when they have issues with you, and that is exactly what is happening to us now.

They have become more and more vocal and aggresive because we do not stand up for ourselves. We should have been warning these cu*ts in the media to modify the unproven statements being put out reagrding EBT'S and Dual Contracts etc. but we sat and did Fuc* all and now we see what it has done for us.

There are a lot of people out there who should be made aware that we will never forget or forgive them for their biased reporting and their pandering to the Rangers hating commentators such as Phil ma whatever his fucking name is in whatever bog he dwells in and that arsehole from Channel 4 ,as well as the Cu*ts in the in the BBC and Radio Stations plus all the print media none of whom have ever given us a chance and have hounded us without giving alternative viewpoints. It has been nothing short of an attempt to kill us off.

By saying nothing we have allowed the lies and half lies to become perceived facts and truths.

I think all we have left is to stand alone in this Fuc*ed up country - Dont do anything for anyone except Rangers-- Fu*k them all The SPL , the SFA, the Scottish media. Dont accept anything they have to say after this is over,dont buy their scummy papers or get involved in their Radio programmes they will still be the same Cu*ts who have tried to hurt and exterminate us.

Time to put Rangers First -everyone else can Fu*k off.

Good read d'art.

For me its time to get Donald Findlay back. The lack of kick back from rangers has been a bit of a bug bearer for years.

Now it is a shambles. These cunts have got away with this for ages.

Everyone says it, it is time we got a team in who can take on each and every bit of abuse directed at the club and ram it back down these cunts throats.

This must happen even if the fighting fund has to pay for them.

Excellent article, D'Art (tu)

I doubt you will find one aberdeen fan mention anything about how they should have been relegated twice. Yet as they are foaming at the mouth discussing Rangers they have the audacity to mention sporting integrity.

Good post (tu)

Would add however that Allports is not necessarily a progressive scale.... you can go from 1 to 5 (missing out 2,3,4)

Personally, I think Ive witnessed 1, 3 and 5 by various sections of society, be they football or media...so difficult to put us at one particular point on the scale.

Good post (tu)

Would add however that Allports is not necessarily a progressive scale.... you can go from 1 to 5 (missing out 2,3,4)

Personally, I think Ive witnessed 1, 3 and 5 by various sections of society, be they football or media...so difficult to put us at one particular point on the scale.

For 4 - see the incident last month outside Ibrox.

Don't always agree with D'art but the really is a superb piece of writing.

Living outside of Scotland I may be wide of the mark on this issue.

There has always been hatred of Rangers by supporters of Septic FC and vice-avers. But in the past few seasons that hatred appears to have reached new levels of intensity. Spurred on by Liewell, Lennon and Reid the hate-mongers of the green-brigade have been tacitly encouraged.

They have expertly used the media, a trick well learned from the terrorist cohorts in Ireland.

The constant 'Bad Rangers' 'Bad Rangers', Nasty Rangers' appears to have struck a chord with may of the supporters of the other SPL clubs. They have never liked us, but again, the intensity of the hatred towards Rangers is alarming.

Of course only one team stands to benefit from this. That is why their supporters are at the forefront of the anti-Rangers rhetoric. A simplistic short-term view but what else should we expect from such hate-filled neanderthals.

Sadly other clubs are following them like sheep (pun intended).

The media of course have an active role in this increased hatred towards Rangers. They have constantly ignored and some have even used the term 'h**'. Make no mistake if fenian is a derogatory term for Catholics then 'h**' is an equally derogatory term for Protestants. Every Rangers song / chant is sectarian. Every pro-IRA terrorist supporting song is 'political'.

Why is the role of the media never questioned by the Scottish government. Why are they allowed, without question, to pour petrol on smoldering fires?

Sorry - I've been all over the place with this post but I'm so fukking angry I could scream.

The future? For now we may have to play in a lower division. Whatever league we are in, I would like to see Rangers at the forefront of pushing the idea of an Atlantic League. Sooner we are no longer part of 'Scotland's fitba scene' the happier I'll be.

excellent post dart as always,scotland can be summed up in one sentence,a petty small minded country with a chip on its shoulder{england}

sadly this has only happened over the last 30 years.thats why the nats will get their way as the republican media and "braveheart" crowd

will continue to grow over the next 2 years towards independance.the daily rebel is scotlands biggest selling newspaper need i say more

rant over!