EBTs and second contracts

donmac

Can someone who knows,not guesses, please help........

Are the SPL and Media saying that an EBT is a second contract

How did they find out about the EBTs and what checks have been done to find out if any other clubs in Scotland were issuing them Were clubs in England issuing them, if so cant we appeal to FIFA I am really confused as i thought EBTs were legal. In fact the company i worked for in the early 2000s offered them, and i took it up for one year...

How did they find out about the EBTs and what checks have been done to find out if any other clubs in Scotland were issuing them Were clubs in England issuing them, if so cant we appeal to FIFA I am really confused as i thought EBTs were legal. In fact the company i worked for in the early 2000s offered them, and i took it up for one year...

EBT schemes were legal until a few years back, you are correct, unfortunately it does look as though we may have been using them incorrectly. Knowingly or unknowingly would be the question? If unkowingly, which I would guess is the case, seeing as we hired top lawyers through the years to work on these schemes.

What the SPL seem to be saying is we had double contracts which by SPL rules is not legal.

We are accused of having:

Gio VB contract (only example)- £5,000 per week, plus a second stating an annual or lump sum payment to cover the difference in salary, which would be paid with no TAX.

EBT schemes were legal until a few years back, you are correct, unfortunately it does look as though we may have been using them incorrectly. Knowingly or unknowingly would be the question? If unkowingly, which I would guess is the case, seeing as we hired top lawyers through the years to work on these schemes.

What the SPL seem to be saying is we had double contracts which by SPL rules is not legal.

We are accused of having:

Gio VB contract (only example)- £5,000 per week, plus a second stating an annual or lump sum payment to cover the difference in salary, which would be paid with no TAX.

EBTs are still perfectly legal by HMRC.

HMRC are arguing our use of EBT's were incorrect and we should have paid PAYE/NIC on payments through it.

The SPL are questioning whether the payments through the EBT amounted to a contract for payment and therefore should have been notified to the SPL/SFA. It won't have escaped you that in order to counter the argument HMRC make then there would be no contract, which makes it difficult to register with SFA/SPL.

It's surprising that as Celtic had an EBT system in 2006, why has it taken 6 years to come to light as an issue? Celtic have people on the SFA/SPL boards too?

Oh, isn't it surprising that Celtic stopped using EBTs in 2007? Around the same time John Reid was Chairman of Celtic? He wouldn't have been privy to HMRC focusing on EBTs back then would he in his capacity as Secretary of State: Home Office?

no what the SPL are actually saying is "we think you used them, only proof we have is circumstantial(ie the fact you admitted having ETBs) so we are basically saying you used them as double contrracts, unless YOU prove you didnt"

Also throws up a few other questions eg "win bonuses" i may be wrong but now i would probably think every team may change values of these throughout the year depending on circumstances. strictly speaking if players not given brand new contract and SPL not notified of exact amounts players will receive at beginning of every season then surely they will be classed as outwith intial contracts?

EBTs are still perfectly legal by HMRC.

HMRC are arguing our use of EBT's were incorrect and we should have paid PAYE/NIC on payments through it.

The SPL are questioning whether the payments through the EBT amounted to a contract for payment and therefore should have been notified to the SPL/SFA. It won't have escaped you that in order to counter the argument HMRC make then there would be no contract, which makes it difficult to register with SFA/SPL.

It's surprising that as Celtic had an EBT system in 2006, why has it taken 6 years to come to light as an issue? Celtic have people on the SFA/SPL boards too?

Oh, isn't it surprising that Celtic stopped using EBTs in 2007? Around the same time John Reid was Chairman of Celtic? He wouldn't have been privy to HMRC focusing on EBTs back then would he in his capacity as Secretary of State: Home Office?

IfCeltic have used EBTs then they are as guilty as we are , surly

It doesnt matter if you commit one crime * if in fact we did, not provsn ,or 5 crimes..ou are still guilty

so why are celtic not under the spot light

in addition why, if we had a legal team monitoring our books back then, did they not alert someone...surly thats a bog question to ask.....

if yourvsolicitor tells you its okay to buy a property and they dont check out the deeds then it on their professional indemnity we should claim

we the club, seem to be taking the flack, no exteral agents we paid to do a job for us and off course our own directors........ if we broke the law knowingly then we were wrong, we just need to work out who actually made the decisions.

How much did you scam? :lol: :lol: :lol:

As employment contracts are private and confidential I would imagine the SFA or whichever organization needs to legally obtain from the employer and employee copies of said contract. They will then need to treat with complete confidentiality all information, given the apparent leaks in the head house this will be impossible. Roll on years of counter claim from those individuals who have their private employment agreements in the public domain.

As employment contracts are private and confidential I would imagine the SFA or whichever organization needs to legally obtain from the employer and employee copies of said contract. They will then need to treat with complete confidentiality all information, given the apparent leaks in the head house this will be impossible. Roll on years of counter claim from those individuals who have their private employment agreements in the public domain.