Forget Celtic. Relax!

jebus197

This may be old news and might have been posted previously - and I know I am probably going to be called a 'taig' and lose the remainder of my rep for saying this, but I just read this and thought it was an excellent piece: http://www.therangersstandard.co.uk/index.php/forum/article-debate/588-no-more-old-firm

I want to throw my hand in wholeheatedly with this perspective. Reading around certain people's comments on these matters often made me cringe and made me think twice about why I supported this club. It's not something I can change. I don't feel I have or ever had any choice in the matter. Like most people, the club we support is just something that get's passed onto us by our Dads when we are very small.

But I don't support secterianism in any shape or form whatsoever. I cringe at even the very use of the word 'taig'. I have never sang a secterian song in my life. I don't care about the Queen, or Jesus. They mean exactly nothing to me. What I care about is to watch 11 men run out on to the pitch and play their hearts out, for a club that (for better or worse) I love. In a sense this club are the only connection I still have with my Dad, who died several years ago.

Now you might call me strange, or 'weird', or you might go off on some rant about me secretly being a 'Tim', or a traitor or,, question my sexuality or whatever. But here's the rub. You're wrong. And no doubt as alien as my perspective may seem to you, those who do sing secterian songs, or hold secterian sympathies or beliefs (Catholic, Protestant, Hindu, or Jewish, or whatever) are uttely and completely alien to me.

Maybe all of this is over some folks heads here (or maybe it's under them lol), but I like what this guy has to say. I know a lot of Rangers fans are still smarting from the experiences of recent months, but I really think we have a chance to put all this crap behind us. I come on this forum and I regularly read comments about 'taigs' etc. and everyone just seems to take as the norm, as though it's something that should be accepted. But I think we have a chance to do something that wouldn't have been nearly as possible in the past. We can effectively forget Celtic and the whole secterian deal for at leat 3 years. Hopefully if we can live without it for 3 years, we can lean to live without it permanatly. There is no excuse for it any more in the division and in the position we're in. Some guys here might think that's tough logic, since 'the other team does it and all we are doing is giving them the same thing back.' But that's such an utterly idiotic perspective that it beggars belief. The way to win at this game, the way to really win and to beat your enemies in a way in which they can have no reply, is simply not to do it.

Make it about the one thing we all care about most, which is watching those 11 good men and true play football. For us for the time being, Celtic can effectively 'cease to exist' Maybe we'll encounter them in an occasional cup match or whatever, but they are hardly a significant blip on our radar. I would love to take my wife and kids to see all these unique and intersting parts of Scotland that Rangers will travel to -and to Ibrox too to see home games. But right now I'm still nervous about that, as the secterian element is often still all too evident.

But anyway, go ahead and vote me down. I'm not sure that this is a popular perspective around these forums -and if the evidence is anything to go by, I'm probably a minority.

The Good news is I'm not alone. There's a Facebook group for people who think and feel like me with in excess of 600 members so far: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Rangers-Fans-Against-Sectarianism/139824442752365

No doubt I'll be told to fuck off there permanantly if I'm not always happy with the way things are done around here - and sometimes I have been tempted to do exactly that. (Due to my many downvotes for not singing along to the same song sheet as some of the guys here). But at least now I know and can be happy that if I do, I won't be alone.

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

no matter what our fans do, no matter what the rangers do, no matter how dignified, THEY always rip us apart and paint us badly, now you consider lemons behaviour, suttons, o'neills, the conduct of those trusted with young bhoys, lieswell, celtics involvement in founding the spl, the mhedia controlled by the loveable republicans, and blah blah.

This may be old news and might have been posted previously - and I know I am probably going to be called a 'taig' and lose the remainder of my rep for saying this, but I just read this and thought it was an excellent piece: http://www.therangersstandard.co.uk/index.php/forum/article-debate/588-no-more-old-firm

I want to throw my hand in wholeheatedly with this perspective. Reading around certain people's comments on these matters often made me cringe and made me think twice about why I supported this club. It's not something I can change. I don't feel I have or ever had any choice in the matter. Like most people, the club we support is just something that get's passed onto us by our Dads when we are very small.

But I don't support secterianism in any shape or form whatsoever. I cringe at even the very use of the word 'taig'. I have never sang a secterian song in my life. I don't care about the Queen, or Jesus. They mean exactly nothing to me. What I care about is to watch 11 men run out on to the pitch and play their hearts out, for a club that (for better or worse) I love. In a sense this club are the only connection I still have with my Dad, who died several years ago.

Now you might call me strange, or 'weird', or you might go off on some rant about me secretly being a 'Tim', or a traitor or,, question my sexuality or whatever. But here's the rub. You're wrong. And no doubt as alien as my perspective may seem to you, those who do sing secterian songs, or hold secterian sympathies or beliefs (Catholic, Protestant, Hindu, or Jewish, or whatever) are uttely and completely alien to me.

Maybe all of this is over some folks heads here (or maybe it's under them lol), but I like what this guy has to say. I know a lot of Rangers fans are still smarting from the experiences of recent months, but I really think we have a chance to put all this crap behind us. I come on this forum and I regularly read comments about 'taigs' etc. and everyone just seems to take as the norm, as though it's something that should be accepted. But I think we have a chance to do something that wouldn't have been nearly as possible in the past. We can effectively forget Celtic and the whole secterian deal for at leat 3 years. Hopefully if we can live without it for 3 years, we can lean to live without it permanatly. There is no excuse for it any more in the division and in the position we're in. Some guys here might think that's tough logic, since 'the other team does it and all we are doing is giving them the same thing back.' But that's such an utterly idiotic perspective that it beggars belief. The way to win at this game, the way to really win and to beat your enemies in a way in which they can have no reply, is simply not to do it.

Make it about the one thing we all care about most, which is watching those 11 good men and true play football. For us for the time being, Celtic can effectively 'cease to exist' Maybe we'll encounter them in an occasional cup match or whatever, but they are hardly a significant blip on our radar. I would love to take my wife and kids to see all these unique and intersting parts of Scotland that Rangers will travel to -and to Ibrox too to see home games. But right now I'm still nervous about that, as the secterian element is often still all too evident.

But anyway, go ahead and vote me down. I'm not sure that this is a popular perspective around these forums -and if the evidence is anything to go by, I'm probably a minority.

The Good news is I'm not alone. There's a Facebook group for people who think and feel like me with in excess of 600 members so far: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Rangers-Fans-Against-Sectarianism/139824442752365

No doubt I'll be told to fuck off there permanantly if I'm not always happy with the way things are done around here - and sometimes I have been tempted to do exactly that. (Due to my many downvotes for not singing along to the same song sheet as some of the guys here). But at least now I know and can be happy that if I do, I won't be alone.

firstly i'd like to say well done for being honest.

what i would say is that almost all rangers fans are against sectarianism. i do love the queen, i love great Britain - but this does not make me sectarian. the only difference between me and a lot of rangers fans is that i do not support rangers because of the queen. i support rangers because of the club - and i think thats where you and i agree.

This may be old news and might have been posted previously - and I know I am probably going to be called a 'taig' and lose the remainder of my rep for saying this, but I just read this and thought it was an excellent piece: http://www.theranger...o-more-old-firm

The Good news is I'm not alone. There's a Facebook group for people who think and feel like me with in excess of 600 members so far: https://www.facebook...139824442752365

get a life you freak.I wont bad rep you but with so callled fans like you who needs fucking enemies

I am a Rangers fan first and foremost, I am proud of my club and happy with the history and roots of the fans that support the club, I dont buy into all the PC shite we have been forced to endure because A:It has not made one bit of difference to Scotland and its view of Rangers or its fans and B: those on the other side of town do whatever they like without the persecution we have had to endure, I am proud to be British and proud of every one of my fellow fans, I am fed up being told what to do what to sing and how to behave, I am 48 years old and a very successful businessman so being brought up in a fiercely proud Rangers family through the 70s 80 and 90s has done me no wrong, maybe its time we got back to those days of good Protestant values because it certainly never did me or my family any harm.

God Bless the Queen

That's pretty much exactly what I'm saying. You guys can downvote me all you want. I make no excuses for not supporting secterianism.

We support Rangers ya fucking bufter!

Being a loyalist, royalist and proud Brit does not make people Sectarian now fuck off ya pathetic wee man

Have not got a problem with your comments ,. I do believe you are a Rangers fan , but there has been a bit of a turnaround with the support concerning songs . For many years I felt we had too many songs about hating other things and not enough about loving the club , but over the last 3 seasons the blue order deserve enormous credit for thinking about the club first albeit yesterday the odd song about another team are pointless at this juncture in our history .

It's a personal choice. You should make whatever choice is most fitting for you.

Eh? You started a thread and have not backed it up! you also refer us to a "Facebook" page therefore, give me your examples then I will make " whatever choice is most fitting" to me.

One thing's for sure there won't be many old firm games for the next few years. Wouldn't be surprised if we we were never drawn against them in any cup competitions. That might even suit the SFA and SPL anti-Rangers agenda. My view is there are only 2 main things that matter (1) winning every game and each league and if we can to do it with some style then that would be great, and (2) making the club as wealthy and financially independent as we can so that we can compete at the very highest levels. As a club we were nearly removed from the football landscape. We must not forget who did this and the role the SFA and SPL played in trying to get rid of us completely (and they've still not finished). Payback on the pitch is a start. A football structure where it is clear to Rangers that the agenda against them has been removed is also needed.

The SFA and SPL must be disbanded

I am a Rangers fan first and foremost, I am proud of my club and happy with the history and roots of the fans that support the club, I dont buy into all the PC shite we have been forced to endure because A:It has not made one bit of difference to Scotland and its view of Rangers or its fans and B: those on the other side of town do whatever they like without the persecution we have had to endure, I am proud to be British and proud of every one of my fellow fans, I am fed up being told what to do what to sing and how to behave, I am 48 years old and a very successful businessman so being brought up in a fiercely proud Rangers family through the 70s 80 and 90s has done me no wrong, maybe its time we got back to those days of good Protestant values because it certainly never did me or my family any harm.

God Bless the Queen

No one should force anyone into anything. You have clearly made your choice. But the way to really beat a man is to stand above what he does and to not live by similarly low standards. There is a lot of resentment in Scottish football against us (and aginst Celtic) because we are seen as a 'secterian club'. Now I think there's no need for it. Guys on here might be busily inventing new scapgoats and new reasons to go on hating - but we have a clear 3 year (at least) window. Hating can be such a tiring thing. I hope if maybe we do go through this period of time some of that hatred will just run out of steam and petre out.

Anyway I didn't do this to gain rep as I knew exactly the opposite was likely to happen. Nor did I do it to criticise anyone else, or to extol the merits of PC, or because I think other people should think or behave the way I do. I did it because it was important for me to make a stand for what I believe in, regardless of what it might cost me.

I don't care if I'm in a minority. Before I came on this forum, nobody ever questioned my loyalty or support for this club. But some of the guys here have done what no one else previously has managed to do.

Thankfully I have found I'm not alone. So I probably will 'fuck off' and spend more time with all of my 'taig' anti-secterian friends.