Saturday's style of Football

Boab

It just me who thought it was really really nice at times?

I don't just mean Barrie MacKay - who was wonderful - but I felt we kept it on the floor well - in comparison to the usual - and the headed goal in the first half had a lovely build-up to it I recall.

One of the benefits playing football in division 3 is that it will allow us to concentrate bringing on young players who adopt an exciting style of football without the usual pressures. Its going to take time and the support must be patient but we will get there.

:21:

Not sure how many watched Monday Night Football last night, but listening to Gary Neville was interesting. He claimed that the English game is gradually becoming more technical, year on year, and I would say he is half-right: depending on which team he means. We are in danger of being left further behind than we already are if we don't see this as a priority. The Training Academy should be the most important venture this club should be endeavouring to put right. It should have its own autonomy, with no input from the team manager, and the person running it should the second-highest paid coach at Ibrox, ie, he should be top-bracket.

We will witness two differing styles this season....................home when we play an attacking game and when we play away it will go back to the cautious approach witnessed at Breechin and Peterhead.

Ally has to realise it's not good enough...............we have the opportunity to build a good free flowing style of football over the coming years.

I think we need to invest big time in a proper youth academy, and honestly watch it bear the fruits in a few years time.

Man Utd dominated English football because of a cracking crop of players that came through, we can do the same if we go about it the proper way.

I thought Ian Black was the epitome of the style we should play all the time. Picked the simple pass and kept it on the floor as much as possible not sure he misplaced a pass all game. We need to realise that our forwards are happier when the ball is played into feet but there is a point at which they should be having a shot rather than creating a 'perfect' goal. It will stand us in good stead for the future and our inevitable return to the top.

Not sure how many watched Monday Night Football last night, but listening to Gary Neville was interesting. He claimed that the English game is gradually becoming more technical, year on year, and I would say he is half-right: depending on which team he means. We are in danger of being left further behind than we already are if we don't see this as a priority. The Training Academy should be the most important venture this club should be endeavouring to put right. It should have its own autonomy, with no input from the team manager, and the person running it should the second-highest paid coach at Ibrox, ie, he should be top-bracket.

couldnt agree more. pump money into getting the right coaching staff. may not be an immediate payback but over time will profuce the right players.

We will witness two differing styles this season....................home when we play an attacking game and when we play away it will go back to the cautious approach witnessed at Breechin and Peterhead.

I fully expect this to be the reoccurring pattern throughout the season.

Ally has to realise it's not good enough...............we have the opportunity to build a good free flowing style of football over the coming years.

Sadly this will be the case.

It was the very same under Walter and I can’t really think back to a time when we consistently performed well away from home in terms of style of football.

We need to realize that we are the same team away from Ibrox and in Div 3 we will have the bulk of support at the away ground so in turn should treat it as a home game. We are at our best taking these teams on while sitting back is the worst thing we can do while out backline is leaking more than the Titanic.

I hope for ours and Ally’s sake we start to impose ourselves in our own way this season away from home.

FFS guys, we've just come from the top division to play a totally different game.

1) These teams will be playing as if it was a cup final against us.

2) Their slow tackling will take out some players. (Dean Sheils on Sat)

3) Packed defences ala Saturday which looked like a pinball game at times with the ball bouncing off them.

4) We have to adapt to this which is not easy.

5) Ask this question after another 6 games, by which time we will have it sussed and scoring for fun.

FFS guys, we've just come from the top division to play a totally different game.

1) These teams will be playing as if it was a cup final against us.

2) Their slow tackling will take out some players. (Dean Sheils on Sat)

3) Packed defences ala Saturday which looked like a pinball game at times with the ball bouncing off them.

4) We have to adapt to this which is not easy.

5) Ask this question after another 6 games, by which time we will have it sussed and scoring for fun.

We really shouldn’t have to change our playing style for another team if they are packed with joiners, lawyers and teachers.

We seem to be able to adapt well enough at home and play some good football, away from home is dire punt it up the park football which was barely acceptable in the SPL never mind the lowest tier of Scottish football.

When we punt it long and stand off opponents, we are dire.

The sooner Ally gets this in his head the better.

Been waiting some time for it to sink in now...so frustrating because even last season when we were "forced to play on the deck" we played some really entertaining quality football. Joy to watch.

My son's first game was against PSG towards the end of the Advocaat era. He said that the football against East Fife and East Stirling was the best he's seen Rangers play. Certainly, we have a chance to develop a style of play that we've not seen since the days of Advocaat. As fans, we need to be patient and accept that we won't win every game when we're trying to bring in youngsters with the right style. So far, so good.

Yeah i seen that they backed it up with some interesting stats.

Then you watched the actual game where the man of the match was terrorising Man U by getting on the end of loads of long balls.

The long ball game can work if you have a target man who can do what Fellaini done brilliantly last night.

Yeah i seen that they backed it up with some interesting stats.

Then you watched the actual game where the man of the match was terrorising Man U by getting on the end of loads of long balls.

The long ball game can work if you have a target man who can do what Fellaini done brilliantly last night.

I noticed that! The game last night was not technically brilliant. What you say though is fine, but when it really matters, teams that play that way will get found out eventually.

I think we need to invest big time in a proper youth academy, and honestly watch it bear the fruits in a few years time.

Man Utd dominated English football because of a cracking crop of players that came through, we can do the same if we go about it the proper way.

I always thought it was coz they spent more money than anyone else. Then Chealsea spent more, won the league, then City spent more- won the league.

I always thought it was coz they spent more money than anyone else. Then Chealsea spent more, won the league, then City spent more- won the league.

A common misconception! In the last 10 years Uniteds net spend is £172 million compared to £515 million for Chelsea and £479 million for City. Both Liverpool and Spurs have higher net spending over the decade and havent come close to winning a title.

The class of '92 was an exception but you will find there is always room for young talent coming up through the ranks. Danny Wellbeck and Tom Cleverley being the latest examples. There is a further point about a good youth set up, look through the EPL and Championship and see the number of players who came through the United system. If Rangers could even approach the level that United reach as far as youth development is concerned then I think both club and fans would be more than happy.

Its not just England that Rangers should look at, what about Barcelona, Ajax amongst others? There is no better time than now to set a new standard for youth development in Scotland and secure a real legacy that will sustain Rangers in the coming years.