Saturday's style of Football

Boab

Totally agree with the fact that there is not going to be as much space on these tight wee pitches away from home which is why we need to use every inch of the width available. Do we have any exciting young wingers to come through from the youth squads if not maybe Ally should get some young wingers in to bring on. Love to see us returning to the days of us playing with two wingers that put fear into opposing defences.

A common misconception! In the last 10 years Uniteds net spend is £172 million compared to £515 million for Chelsea and £479 million for City. Both Liverpool and Spurs have higher net spending over the decade and havent come close to winning a title.

The class of '92 was an exception but you will find there is always room for young talent coming up through the ranks. Danny Wellbeck and Tom Cleverley being the latest examples. There is a further point about a good youth set up, look through the EPL and Championship and see the number of players who came through the United system. If Rangers could even approach the level that United reach as far as youth development is concerned then I think both club and fans would be more than happy.

Its not just England that Rangers should look at, what about Barcelona, Ajax amongst others? There is no better time than now to set a new standard for youth development in Scotland and secure a real legacy that will sustain Rangers in the coming years.

There is no point in comparing ourselves to Man Utd/City/Chelsea etc,there's a huge gap thats not going to narrow any time soon.Look at the way Bilbao destroyed Utd last season,players born in one region in Spain gave the worlds richest club a footballing lesson over two games.They did this by being technically & tactically superior to the overhyped "stars" from the epl,allied to astute management and a desire to push themselves to the limit.

We should be developing a style of football thats played from the very youngest team to the first team with a emphasis on technique,touch, movement,pace & game awareness.I attended the u17s game on Saturday lunchtime and have to say we are going backwards under the current head of youth with a long ball game and playing percentage football the norm.

There needs to be a total overhaul of our youth set up with a long term plan being instigated but i wouldn't be confident to be honest.He seems to be untouchable and unnacountable,

A common misconception! In the last 10 years Uniteds net spend is £172 million compared to £515 million for Chelsea and £479 million for City. Both Liverpool and Spurs have higher net spending over the decade and havent come close to winning a title.

The class of '92 was an exception but you will find there is always room for young talent coming up through the ranks. Danny Wellbeck and Tom Cleverley being the latest examples. There is a further point about a good youth set up, look through the EPL and Championship and see the number of players who came through the United system. If Rangers could even approach the level that United reach as far as youth development is concerned then I think both club and fans would be more than happy.

Its not just England that Rangers should look at, what about Barcelona, Ajax amongst others? There is no better time than now to set a new standard for youth development in Scotland and secure a real legacy that will sustain Rangers in the coming years.

And when did United last PRODUCE a top youngster? Welbeck and Cleverly? You watch Skysports too much. With their over hype of EPL. If Welbeck and Cleverly are being classed as quality. Then Andy Carroll is actually worth £35 million

There is no point in comparing ourselves to Man Utd/City/Chelsea etc,there's a huge gap thats not going to narrow any time soon.Look at the way Bilbao destroyed Utd last season,players born in one region in Spain gave the worlds richest club a footballing lesson over two games.They did this by being technically & tactically superior to the overhyped "stars" from the epl,allied to astute management and a desire to push themselves to the limit.

We should be developing a style of football thats played from the very youngest team to the first team with a emphasis on technique,touch, movement,pace & game awareness.I attended the u17s game on Saturday lunchtime and have to say we are going backwards under the current head of youth with a long ball game and playing percentage football the norm.

There needs to be a total overhaul of our youth set up with a long term plan being instigated but i wouldn't be confident to be honest.He seems to be untouchable and unnacountable,

Considering the amount of money rangers have spent over the years on players it would surely make sense to headhunt someone from one of the most successful youth academy around. It has to make business sense as well I wonder how much the youth academy at Southampton has made for them the names of Theo Walcott and the lad that played for england recently Oxlade -chamberlain but to name a couple they have sold in addition to providing a number of quality players for the club.

Which is what I said at the end! I was putting the figures in to counter a misconception about money being the be all and end all of Uniteds success. What you suggest about a style of football is what happens at the academies at United/Ajax/Barcelona and Bilbao. Why shouldn't Rangers look to the top clubs and see what they can learn, after all Auchenhowie is as good a facility as most top start this off? I think you may have missed the point I was making in your haste to have a go at the EPL!

And when did United last PRODUCE a top youngster? Welbeck and Cleverly? You watch Skysports too much. With their over hype of EPL. If Welbeck and Cleverly are being classed as quality. Then Andy Carroll is actually worth £35 million

I hardly watch SkySports at all but thats another misconception of yours. I guess you don't see too much with those anti EPL blinkers on and you wouldn't want either Cleverley or Wellbeck at Rangers as they aren't good enough for you (SAF clearly disagrees)? You may not like the EPL but it was the Academy set up I was mentioning specifically! Take your blinkers off and take on board the point I was making. It isn't all about money and thats what makes it possible for Rangers, if they overhaul the youth set up, to build something that will enable them to compete outside Scotland when the time comes!

Considering the amount of money rangers have spent over the years on players it would surely make sense to headhunt someone from one of the most successful youth academy around. It has to make business sense as well I wonder how much the youth academy at Southampton has made for them the names of Theo Walcott and the lad that played for england recently Oxlade -chamberlain but to name a couple they have sold in addition to providing a number of quality players for the club.

You want Rangers to be like Southampton?

<cr>

Which is what I said at the end! I was putting the figures in to counter a misconception about money being the be all and end all of Uniteds success. What you suggest about a style of football is what happens at the academies at United/Ajax/Barcelona and Bilbao. Why shouldn't Rangers look to the top clubs and see what they can learn, after all Auchenhowie is as good a facility as most top start this off? I think you may have missed the point I was making in your haste to have a go at the EPL!

Wasn't "having a go " at the epl, and would have no qualms with Rangers learning from the teams you suggest and iirc did JS not attend Barcelona academy last season. I do however have no confidence in our current HOY and as i previously said he seems to be accountable to no-one.

The point i was trying to make re- epl teams was simply comparing the vast resources they have at their disposal in attracting younger players and feel we must be careful how we go about our recruitment in this area.

We invested substantial financial resources in recruiting 10 players into development squads under JS yet every one of them was released without even making the u19s and that is simply unnacceptable.

I hardly watch SkySports at all but thats another misconception of yours. I guess you don't see too much with those anti EPL blinkers on and you wouldn't want either Cleverley or Wellbeck at Rangers as they aren't good enough for you (SAF clearly disagrees)? You may not like the EPL but it was the Academy set up I was mentioning specifically! Take your blinkers off and take on board the point I was making. It isn't all about money and thats what makes it possible for Rangers, if they overhaul the youth set up, to build something that will enable them to compete outside Scotland when the time comes!

I don't have binkers on mate. I watch Skysports just don't believe the hype its the best league in the world. Watch how many times a team concedes 4+ goals.

I don't agree with your comparisons. We are Rangers and there is no club like us. Why do you want to be like the rest? Also if these youth players, we will start to produce, that good why will they stick around in SPL?

Wasn't "having a go " at the epl, and would have no qualms with Rangers learning from the teams you suggest and iirc did JS not attend Barcelona academy last season. I do however have no confidence in our current HOY and as i previously said he seems to be accountable to no-one.

The point i was trying to make re- epl teams was simply comparing the vast resources they have at their disposal in attracting younger players and feel we must be careful how we go about our recruitment in this area.

We invested susstantial financial resources in recruiting 10 players into development squads under JS yet every one of them was released without even making the u19s and that is simply unnacceptable.

I don't think we need to be spending on young players either the resources need to go into developing the system so that we can attract the best using the combination of the tradition of the club and the facilities available. The opportunity for young players to make a name for themselves at Rangers has never been greater. If a player, at that age, puts money before opportunity then I don't think they are whats required. I think we are singing from the same hymn sheet on whats needed and its investment in the staff and structure of the youth development set up.

I don't think we need to be spending on young players either the resources need to go into developing the system so that we can attract the best using the combination of the tradition of the club and the facilities available. The opportunity for young players to make a name for themselves at Rangers has never been greater. If a player, at that age, puts money before opportunity then I don't think they are whats required. I think we are singing from the same hymn sheet on whats needed and its investment in the staff and structure of the youth development set up.

Welcome to 21st century football mate. Very rare to find players who like us fans put the club first.

I would like to see us move the ball quicker. Our defenders are very slow in possession, if they can't play a ball to a midfielder then play the ball across the back 4, keep it moving, too often our defenders sit with the ball at their feet with no options up front, they then punt the ball up the park and we lose possession. There is no harm in keeping it moving, keeping the game going by passing sidways as long as the ball is moving, it keeps players on their toes as well. We also need more outball options than just McKay, we cannot always rely on a kid to dig us out of a lull in play.

I don't have binkers on mate. I watch Skysports just don't believe the hype its the best league in the world. Watch how many times a team concedes 4+ goals.

I don't agree with your comparisons. We are Rangers and there is no club like us. Why do you want to be like the rest? Also if these youth players, we will start to produce, that good why will they stick around in SPL?

Where did I say I want to be like the rest? I want Rangers to have the best set up possible to produce the best players. If that means taking from the best examples then so be it. I don't want players to stick around the SPL, I want them to stick around Rangers!! Even if they eventually move on it will be for the benefit of the club. What is your vision for Rangers then? Mine is a strong set up from bottom to top, producing players to maintain the traditions of the club and having a sustainable future!

I sometimes think we do down the footie too much.

I remember the end of the 2010-11 season quite well. We played some good football, beating Hearts, Dundee United, Kilmarnock, etc. There have been plenty of games over the years I have enjoyed. And sometimes there is great joy to be had in winning a game you did not look like you were going to (St Midden League Cup anyone).

We've got a chance now to build something good. Lets hope we manage it.

I would like to see us move the ball quicker. Our defenders are very slow in possession, if they can't play a ball to a midfielder then play the ball across the back 4, keep it moving, too often our defenders sit with the ball at their feet with no options up front, they then punt the ball up the park and we lose possession. There is no harm in keeping it moving, keeping the game going by passing sidways as long as the ball is moving, it keeps players on their toes as well. We also need more outball options than just McKay, we cannot always rely on a kid to dig us out of a lull in play.

Spot on,we must show a bit of composure and patience when in possession,as you say we seem to, more often than not resort to the punt up the park and hope something develops.Brutal to watch and setting us back years while smaller european teams overtake us in terms of technique and tactical nous.

Spot on,we must show a bit of composure and patience when in possession,as you say we seem to, more often than not resort to the punt up the park and hope something develops.Brutal to watch and setting us back years while smaller european teams overtake us in terms of technique and tactical nous.

Agreed. I was going nuts in the club deck on Saturday when our back 2 had the ball and were looking for a long ball, dwelling on the ball and then just giving it away. They had a chance to pass to Kirk, pass to Lee, even young Lewis was coming short but they ignored all options to look for a long ball, punted it up field and gave away possession. <cr>

All I was saying is , Yes. We all want Rangers to have the best youth set up, play the best football, have the biggest stadium etc But just look at world football. Man City out spent everyone and won EPL. Chelsea have billionaire owner and won CL. Barca and Real have revenue streams that make God blush and are always competing at the highest level with steady stream of quality youths coming through. The argument would have more merit if we were in the EPL or a Euro League. You're saying invest in the youth. How much? 5 million? 10 million? 20 million!? How much do you think these examples you gave spend on their youth development and scouting? How much money do think Rangers has right now?

If Rangers won every game from now on 1-0 with a massive punt up the pitch, knock down and shot. Then I'd be happy.

If thats not enough for you then fine. We have different opinions. That's what a forums for, no?

All I was saying is , Yes. We all want Rangers to have the best youth set up, play the best football, have the biggest stadium etc But just look at world football. Man City out spent everyone and won EPL. Chelsea have billionaire owner and won CL. Barca and Real have revenue streams that make God blush and are always competing at the highest level with steady stream of quality youths coming through. The argument would have more merit if we were in the EPL or a Euro League. You're saying invest in the youth. How much? 5 million? 10 million? 20 million!? How much do you think these examples you gave spend on their youth development and scouting? How much money do think Rangers has right now?

If Rangers won every game from now on 1-0 with a massive punt up the pitch, knock down and shot. Then I'd be happy.

If thats not enough for you then fine. We have different opinions. That's what a forums for, no?

20 million? We already have the facilities. Get the salaries for the right people; surely a network of scouts could be arranged, even in this country. It would not take those amounts. It is not about competing with Real or Man City; it is about playing the game properly: put into practice that we use the ball and working on the technique of young players. There is not much money in Africa, but they are playing the game years ahead of us.

You want Rangers to be like Southampton?

<cr>

In terms of their academy and the way they bring players through yes. They are renowned for having one of the best youth programs in the country and have done for some time. The problem was that until recently they only had a ground that held 15k so consequently had to sell on lots of their good young players to balance the books.

I also think it would be good to have coaches as scouts and send them out to develop partnerships with schools rather than expect kids to come to us. We could keep an eye on alot more kids, then we would see the ones that are developing and bring the best in for additional coaching with the club. After all how many players are missed because of shit coaching, not that I was ever any great footballer anyway, lots of enthusiasm just sod all talent.

In terms of their academy and the way they bring players through yes. They are renowned for having one of the best youth programs in the country and have done for some time. The problem was that until recently they only had a ground that held 15k so consequently had to sell on lots of their good young players to balance the books.

I also think it would be good to have coaches as scouts and send them out to develop partnerships with schools rather than expect kids to come to us. We could keep an eye on alot more kids, then we would see the ones that are developing and bring the best in for additional coaching with the club. After all how many players are missed because of shit coaching, not that I was ever any great footballer anyway, lots of enthusiasm just sod all talent.

IMO Southampton are a feeder club. One of the better ones obviously. But that's not what I want for Rangers (My Opinion). Rangers deserve the best players, not just the best young players we can get and then sell on for profit. There is already one feeder club in Glasgow, The Scum!

Respect ya opinion tho mate. But our youth system cant be that bad with recent graduates like McKay, MacLeod etc

IMO Southampton are a feeder club. One of the better ones obviously. But that's not what I want for Rangers (My Opinion). Rangers deserve the best players, not just the best young players we can get and then sell on for profit. There is already one feeder club in Glasgow, The Scum!

Respect ya opinion tho mate. But our youth system cant be that bad with recent graduates like McKay, MacLeod etc

McKay came from Kilmarnock.