Why are we still singing about the UVF

StewGers

And another attack on freedom of speech.

Politicians who want dissenting and critical mouths shut absolutely love this type of forelock-tugging bullshit.

Heres one to try out. Walk into a public place and tell every stranger that you see 'I hate niggers' or maybe tell them 'I hate muslims and want to wade in their blood' lets see how freedom of speech goes then.

I'm happy to join this gang of 3 and I'm sure there must be more bears out there who want to sing about our team and forget about wars or any history of Ireland/Britain not relating to our game

I have only one interest , and thats supporting Rangers . The uvf/uda have no link to Rangers football club and never will . The majority of our songs are special and help drive the team on . Thankfully its only a few songs that are a letdown.

I have never posted before, but felt i had to after the first couple of away games this season.

I cant get my head round why some fans are still singing about the UVF at Gers games. Dont get me wrong, most fans, including myself have sung these types of songs in the past but there is no place for them anymore.

This is the start of a new adventure for all Gers fans and we should take this opportunity to rid ourselves of certain songs that do us no favours and have nothing to do with Rangers in the 21st Century.

Quite simply, dont complain about what the media and certain journalists write about Rangers fans when some fans refuse to let go the stuff that is now simply irrelevant and you know they will pick up on.

We should be reading about the amazing suppport given to a team in the fourth tier of scottish football and fans who do themselves proud in the way they support their team and not about a small group who refuse to let go of the past.

Singing songs at the football, regardless of what the lyrics are, is really not the root of society's problems.

Heres one to try out. Walk into a public place and tell every stranger that you see 'I hate niggers' or maybe tell them 'I hate muslims and want to wade in their blood' lets see how freedom of speech goes then.

Dont waste your time mate, if you have to try and explain why you should not be singing this stuff in 2012 then the battle with logic is lost. The people that do this have real problems and should seek help.

do they sing about being up their knees in fenian blood? If not then that is why they get away with it.

We've been told time and time again not to sing 'fenian' yet some still persist and then yesterday it was singing about the 'old' :rolleyes: UVF. Howabout we sing about Rangers? How about we sing about the victories we've had on the football pitch instead of the battlefield? Instead of singing about how 'we were not abused' singing about how we are the most succesful football club in the world?

How about people sing what they want? How about people supporting the idea that freedom of speech includes the right to offend? How about some recognition that the falsely offended are at it and consequently destroying freedoms we once accepted as the norm?

How about the RFFF funding a case to protect said freedoms and stop the incessant attacks on our rights to expression?

This willingness to bow down to the mouth-shutting laws of the chattering classes and neo-moralista absolutely baffles me. And benefits no one.

Is Scotland a safer place because of the naughty songs bill? Not even remotely. Do the police and authorities have more weapons to arrest and charge our citizens? Absolutely.

do they sing about being up their knees in fenian blood? If not then that is why they get away with it.

We've been told time and time again not to sing 'fenian' yet some still persist and then yesterday it was singing about the 'old' :rolleyes: UVF. Howabout we sing about Rangers? How about we sing about the victories we've had on the football pitch instead of the battlefield? Instead of singing about how 'we were not abused' singing about how we are the most succesful football club in the world

Agree with this last part, we sing way too many songs about them. I am sick of hearing about them, its bad enough they exist without us singing about them to remind us. Would rather we sang about Rangers over anything else though as thats why we're here, to support The Rangers. Yes we can remember/celebrate/commemorate events from the past, nothing wrong with that, but the less songs that involve the bheasts from the east, the better.

How about people sing what they want? How about people supporting the idea that freedom of speech includes the right to offend? How about some recognition that the falsely offended are at it and consequently destroying freedoms we once accepted as the norm?

How about the RFFF funding a case to protect said freedoms and stop the incessant attacks on our rights to expression?

This willingness to bow down to the mouth-shutting laws of the chattering classes and neo-moralista absolutely baffles me. And benefits no one.

Is Scotland a safer place because of the naughty songs bill? Not even remotely. Do the police and authorities have more weapons to arrest and charge our citizens? Absolutely.

How about leave the RFFF out of it, set up your own case and try and procure funding from parties who want to agree to do that, rather than the wider support, many of whom don't care.

Bur nothing happens does it? They don't get threatened with fines and the song doesn't get banned.

well yes, they do actually. After Man U played Leeds at Elland Road most recently there was national news headlines over the appaling chants coming from the both supports.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2040303/Chants-sick-Manchester-United-Leeds-yobs-branded-disgusting.html

One thing I'll add to what I said earlier, is that I do find it a bit sad that they in general create a better atmosphere than "normal" Rangers songs. As I said, I've no issue with people singing them, but they shouldn't really be the rallying cry of the support. It should be songs celebrating the greatest club in the world that really create the atmospheres, but some sadly don't appear that interested in them.

well yes, they do actually. After Man U played Leeds at Elland Road most recently there was national news headlines over the appaling chants coming from the both supports.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2040303/Chants-sick-Manchester-United-Leeds-yobs-branded-disgusting.html

Similar for Tottenham with their Adebayor chants a couple of seasons back.

I agree, and I am not happy with the needless criminalizing of people, added to that the principle of free speech being eroded and its extremely illiberal and thats when you start going down a slippery slope. For me what happens in the ground should stay in the ground. Obviously if there were chants of kill the jews or kill all blacks or something along those lines then I'd have a problem with that.

The only people benefitting from this are the lawyers and the police. Bear in mind the police pushed hard for these measures to be put in place, and no politician (especially with an election looming, as was the case) is going to come out and oppose what the police want to do, it wouldnt go down well with the public or indeed the media. However, our streets are no safer than they were before these measures were put in place and criminalizing even more people is only going to cause resentment and anger and where can that lead? Who knows. The authorities should be careful what they wish for.

http://www.dailymail...disgusting.html

Thats not going to stop them singing it. And man u have a fucking cheek they sing about liverpool disaster. Another example of being offended when it suits them.

And what's your point? You think it's good that people can be arrested for saying words?

Well thats what i'm getting at thats not banned. But the Billy boys is. All because of one poxy word?

change the word then (tu)

i don't sing it myself, i also don't complain when others do but how hard is it to change one word, would changing it be so hard?