Green checks out Chinese market.

hellfirejet

Green checks out Chinese market

Graeme Macpherson

Football Writer.

CHARLES GREEN has revealed plans to try to tap into the Chinese market.

inShare.

The Rangers chief executive views China as a sleeping giant in terms of football and hopes to open training academies there while also recruiting Chinese players for Ally McCoist's squad.

Rangers, under previous owner Craig Whyte, made an unsuccessful attempt to exploit the Indian market last year, bringing players Jeje Lalpekhlua and Sunil Chhetri over on trial, travelling to India to meet officials from the Indian Premier League, and launching a Twitter feed in Hindi.

Green, though, is not put off by that failure, believing opportunities abound in Chinese football. "A few weeks ago I had a very rich Chinese man here," said Green. "He said, 'Charles, we are a country of 1.3 billion people but we can't find 11 footballers among them. How can that be?'"

Green also boasted of the strength of Rangers' financial position. The club shed all its debt when the oldco went into liquidation.

"Today we are the strongest club in Scotland," he added in an interview with Der Spiegel magazine. "We have the biggest fanbase, no debts, no loans, no overdraft and money in the bank.

"Rangers are among the 15 most famous clubs in the world. We have the product, the names and the brand."

:cgreen:

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

When there's about 13% of the world living in that country there is definitely some untapped potential which is why many English Premier League clubs are playing games there in the pre-season. Rangers needs to hold onto a strong local fan base but expand its reach to other areas as well just so people are likely to buy some merchandise!

We had tie ins with a club a good few years ago( name escapes me, they played in orange), as we did in Australia, no benefits were forthcoming then so it ended, whats different now?

I am hoping that the difference is that the folk who were secretly draining all our cash have gone.

It would be fantastic if Green and co could set up academy's in other countries. (So we could try and tap into the younger talent in certain countries, before the likes of Man City etc pick them up.)

The 1st team could also use it in the off season as you see the likes of English Premier Teams traveling overseas for training camps.

Does Rangers still have that supposed office in London - Which was apparently set up by Whyte and Co to try and help further our global awareness?

Whyte traveled to India to hold meetings with officials of the Indian Premier League. I wonder what they discussed?

I remember Whyte and Co had that agreement with an American Sports Channel did they not, but yet he also had some kind of agreement with STV in the UK.

America would of been fantastic to try and tap into at the time when Carlos, Edu, Bedoya was at the club. Especially when Carlos is the USA Captain. They really missed a opportunity.

Maybe Gordon Smith could come back as Director of Football again and try and introduce some of the plans he had when Whyte was originally around, I believe he could of helped the club in that regard. But maybe that is why the two investors from Simply Sport Management Chris Mathers & Guy Gisbourne was brought in to oversee the running of Murray Park

Plus Green always said he wanted a Football Board handling the football side and business men running the behind the scenes aspects originally did he not?

"Today we are the strongest club in Scotland," he added in an interview with Der Spiegel magazine. "We have the biggest fanbase, no debts, no loans, no overdraft and money in the bank.

"Rangers are among the 15 most famous clubs in the world. We have the product, the names and the brand."

:D

Terrorist loving retards from the big jock nou camp aren't going to like this. :uk:

CG Needs to read this its interesting why they cant break through.

Bamboo Goalposts: One Man's Quest to Teach the People's Republic of China to Love Football [Paperback]

Rowan Simons (Author)

Rowan Simons has lived, and played football, in China for more than 20 years, and here is his hilarious and insightful account of what it's like to live, work, and play there. Rowan is passionate about getting China to embrace the social and health benefits of amateur football, which isn't easy in a country where it's illegal for more than 11 people to congregate for the purposes of a recreational sporting activity. Rowan built a pitch and clubhouse and now runs ClubFootball, whose growing message has given him genuine hope that his message just might be getting through. This is a clear, affectionate, and at times desperate look at what contemporary China is like when viewed through Western eyes.

We had tie ins with a club a good few years ago( name escapes me, they played in orange), as we did in Australia, no benefits were forthcoming then so it ended, whats different now?

Yea, as rangersgary said it was Shenhen Jianlibao - now known as Shenzhen Ruby. But they now play in blue and white stripes according to wiki.

The Aussies were Northern Spirit, they went bust about 10 year ago though. Ian Ferguson, and Steven Dobbie played for them.

CG Needs to read this its interesting why they cant break through.

Bamboo Goalposts: One Man's Quest to Teach the People's Republic of China to Love Football [Paperback]

Rowan Simons (Author)

Rowan Simons has lived, and played football, in China for more than 20 years, and here is his hilarious and insightful account of what it's like to live, work, and play there. Rowan is passionate about getting China to embrace the social and health benefits of amateur football, which isn't easy in a country where it's illegal for more than 11 people to congregate for the purposes of a recreational sporting activity. Rowan built a pitch and clubhouse and now runs ClubFootball, whose growing message has given him genuine hope that his message just might be getting through. This is a clear, affectionate, and at times desperate look at what contemporary China is like when viewed through Western eyes.

The SPL clubs would be OK there then :lol:

Why do we only open up academies in countries that do good takeaways ?

Whats next ? Italy ?

I have no doubt China will one day produce some good footballers, but not until the government catches on and realises it raises their profile abroad and allows them to play.

Until then I fear, we will struggle.

Great comments from Green there though, that'll fairly wind up the bad people.

The SPL clubs would be OK there then :lol:

Why do we only open up academies in countries that do good takeaways ?

Whats next ? Italy ?

I have no doubt China will one day produce some good footballers, but not until the government catches on and realises it raises their profile abroad and allows them to play.

Until then I fear, we will struggle.

Great comments from Green there though, that'll fairly wind up the bad people.

One thing at which the Chinese excel is their 'sports academies' and producing stars in most sports.

IIRC the national football academy was started up a few years back in Dalian --- Should see some decent players in the not too distant future. Only problem is that the they really need to go to overseas teams for experience as the league system in China is not great.

I personally think we should try and capitilse on the one true untouched market: North Korea !!!

We could contact the grand leader and divine god Kim Jong-Un and offer to put the following on our tops "North Korea, Is The Best Korea" in exchange for £8 Million a year in sponsorship plus open shops across the country and get them to air propoganda videos in support of us and we can gain 25 million odd new fans.

Get it done Charles :craphead: