I was always a Gers fan... the thought of having to quit left my mind pickled

ShaneRalfRoss

HE’S loving life as an Owl — but Rhys McCabe reckons the agonising over whether to quit Rangers or not knocked him off his perch.

The highly-rated midfield kid was one of the first to fly the nest after the Ibrox side went bust and players had the option to transfer to Charles Green’s newco.

Signed with Gers since the age of nine, it was tough for the 20-year-old to turn his back on the club that he’d always followed.

Throughout the drama and uncertainty McCabe had trained with his pals at his local football team in West Calder and headed out for late night runs in a bid to clear his mind of the mayhem.

Yet there was never any contact from people inside the club to help him with a dilemma that tested even the most experienced of players.

That didn’t make his decision any easier to accept — but it did help him make his mind up over what he had to do.

A switch to Sheffield Wednesday followed and McCabe — set to start Scotland Under-21s’ crunch final qualifier in Austria tonight — admitted: “It was mentally draining with what happened at Rangers.

“I was doing local stuff and had my off-season fitness programme so I was keeping myself fit and ticking over.

“But to have to go and train by yourself and keep yourself motivated was very hard.

“Towards the last week of the off-season my mind was still pickled. I was going out for runs at night just to clear my head.

“It definitely had a big effect on me but I’m just glad it’s all over now and I’m back playing football.”

McCabe had lived every young Gers supporter’s dream after stepping into the Old Firm cauldron and starring against Celtic in March.

He was marked down as one of the pillars that would see the Ibrox club’s future in safe hands if the financial crisis they were experiencing forced them to go with the kids.

Having to turn his back on that was a decision he never thought he’d have to contemplate and he said: “I don’t think it was about whether I needed to move on or not. Things at Rangers were a lot more severe than people thought they were.

“From a football perspective your main objective is to go and play football.

“For me the best thing to do was to go somewhere where I thought my mind could be free of all the background things and I could just concentrate on my football.

“It was a hard thing for me to decide to leave because I’m a Rangers fan.

“Having joined the club at nine and moving up through the ranks, to see what’s happened was really disappointing.

“The boys down south are always asking how Rangers and Celtic are doing but I don’t think anyone outside of Scotland realises Rangers have suffered so much.

“They are going to have to bounce back and hopefully they can do it as quickly as they can.”

McCabe’s decision to move to Hillsborough and play in the Championship already looks to have paid off.

With the likes of Scotland Under-21 team-mate Gregg Wylde still kicking his heels at Bolton after leaving Gers, McCabe has started four games under Dave Jones.

He said: “With the carry-on at Rangers I think just to get settled into Sheffield has been good and now I’m doing what I do best again which is playing football.

“I’ve been doing really well down at Wednesday, right from the first game of the season. I’ve played ever since so it’s been a dream start. I went down hoping to be involved and stake my place but after the first game the gaffer’s seen something in me so it’s been good.

“Everyone wants to play in the Premier League but if you can’t do that the next best thing is the SPL or Championship.

“For me it was about looking forward to doing my best down in the Championship and hopefully one day playing in the Premier League.”

McCabe’s added match sharpness was key when Billy Stark called him up for the injured Jamie Ness — then handed him his competitive international debut in the 3-0 win over Luxembourg on Thursday.

He’s likely to get the nod again in tonight’s final Group Ten clash in Altach.

Victory is vital if the Scots are to stand a chance of reaching the play-offs as one of the four best runners-up.

Speaking from their baking-hot mountain-flanked HQ near the Swiss border last night, McCabe added: “You look at some of the boys here and they’re not playing regularly.

“If you’re playing every week there’s no reason why your fitness levels and game awareness shouldn’t be at the top.

“So it’s understandable that boys have been drafted in who are playing every week.

“To be included was a big thing for me. To get a start against Luxembourg was a big bonus.

“We’re definitely capable of winning. We’ve got great quality and it would be great to get through to the play-offs then to make the finals.”

Read more: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/leaguedivision3/4529304/I-was-always-a-Gers-fan-the-thought-of-having-to-quit-left-my-mind-pickled.html#ixzz261EjHQeX

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

/rage start

"The highly-rated midfield kid was one of the first to fly the nest"

A fan??? Rhys McCabe will -NEVER- be allowed to call himself a fan so long as any Rangers fan on this day lives nor will he ever be allowed back to Ibrox to even WATCH us.

That goes for the rest of the traitors. Suffering?? try being a fan, or employment in the working class industry where you get paid buttons to listen to people glorify the relegation of my club.

/rage end

Would score for fun up here :craphead:

But seriously, the boys a prick, has the chance for regular first team football and the chance to become a legend but leaves for extra money, enjoy languishing in the bottom tiers of England for the rest of your mediocre career. (tu)

Was thinking more like "bears den????" :craphead:

2nd time he has now said this

I hope he is hurting, the judas prick

Very good point,if the wee scummy fuck is that happy why does he constantly have to talk about Rangers?

Don't give me the 'aye he's just answering questions' pish either,his last interview covered that.

Rot in hell ya wee dick.