Lee McCulloch and Neil Alexander

ALLY McCOIST is hopeful that he can tie down senior stars Lee McCulloch and Neil Alexander on longer term deals in the coming months.

McCoist has just made McCulloch club captain while Alexander is obviously the No1 keeper since the departure of Allan McGregor over the summer.

Both players are out of contract at the end of this season and with a signing embargo now in place on Rangers for the next two transfer windows McCoist would be keen to secure both players beyond next summer.

McCulloch has made a terrific start to the campaign with eight goals and is relishing his new role as skipper while Alexander remains a first class goalkeeper with vast experience.

McCoist told RangersTV: “There has nothing been planned yet but it goes without saying that they are players who are very valuable to the team and the club.

“I would imagine in the next couple of months or so that their representatives will be sitting down with the club to discuss extensions to their contracts.

“Hopefully from their point of view and from our point of view we can do some good business.”

McCulloch has been with Rangers for over five years while Alexander joined in January 2008 and they have been at the heart of the club's major successes.

Hopefully we can keep both players.

alexander - yes ,

jig - still a no from me , 34 now , a good option upfront but i expect sandaza to be our main striker and jig to drop back into midfield so its a no from me.

cant replace him this summer though and bear in mind if kyle cant stay fit we will lose him too. Need to give Jig another year to see us past the transfer embargo imo

I think they will need to lower their wages but it shouldn't be a problem.

I'd prefer it if they were offered a 1 year extension with the option of an extra year. It would be a bit foolish to go and offer them a straight 2 or 3 year deal at their ages and without us really knowing where we will be next season or the 1 after.

Hopefully both will sign after all Alexander has waited long enough for his chance as No.1 and Jig has been excellent since he was moved up front and leads the line better than anyone else we have at present and our captain is vital to our ongoing success at this time IMO. First and second on the team sheet.

Jigg should get a new contract he offers decent cover for quite a few positions, I think his best position is up front but could see him getting played at the back or midfield.

Alexander will sign, he has waited a while for his chance some of the saves he has made this season have been quality, think he's still got a good few years left in him.

Jig's expierence in Europe and the EPL will be vital to the young boys coming through, so yes get him signed up.

People were sayin he was done 2 years ago and look what he has done since, he bleeds blue and deserves a contract more than any other player imo.

alexander - yes ,

jig - still a no from me , 34 now , a good option upfront but i expect sandaza to be our main striker and jig to drop back into midfield so its a no from me.

Are you joking? Jig has stood up and shown his desire to remain, when others decided they didnae fancy the fight and lined their own (and their agents) pockets at our clubs expense. He has been the rock on the pitch whilst Ally and Mr Green have steadied the ship. But now we seem to have some new players so it is acceptable to dump him?

No chance. He has demonstrated faith in his and our club and I believe his loyalty deserves the same returned by the club. It is what we, as Rangers, do.

Are you joking? Jig has stood up and shown his desire to remain, when others decided they didnae fancy the fight and lined their own (and their agents) pockets at our clubs expense. He has been the rock on the pitch whilst Ally and Mr Green have steadied the ship. But now we seem to have some new players so it is acceptable to dump him?

No chance. He has demonstrated faith in his and our club and I believe his loyalty deserves the same returned by the club. It is what we, as Rangers, do.

agreed lee mcculloch is just what we need at our club even if we where in the spl a would still give him a new contract still good enough in my eyes :21:

Exactly mate (tu) As far as I'm concerned Jig should have a contract for as long as he wants. The man was just another Ibrox Hero to me, but after the summer he became a Legend in my eyes :mcculloch:

Same with the big man :alexander:

Exactly mate (tu) As far as I'm concerned Jig should have a contract for as long as he wants. The man was just another Ibrox Hero to me, but after the summer he became a Legend in my eyes :mcculloch:

Same with the big man :alexander:

When you compare the loyalty of these two guys to the treachery of others, frankly I think most bears would chip in towards their new contracts personally. They are heroes for sticking by us, and that will not be readily forgotten imo.