Spl EBT -conflict of interests

robg58

Interesting Conflicts – SPL EBT Hypocrisy

Article By Chris Graham

The news that Celtic have been cleared of any culpability for the EBT they used for Juninho in the 2004/2005 season comes as no surprise to those of us who have followed this case and the people prosecuting it. However, I do feel it is worth highlighting as it is yet another example of the hypocrisy and corruption at the SPL.

It is worth noting some things regarding the operation of EBT schemes. The issue of whether tax was paid on the EBTs has nothing to do with the SPL investigation into Rangers. The issue is purely whether the loans from the EBT scheme for players were declared to the SPL and SFA and whether they required to be declared.

It is clear that Rangers did not specifically declare them because they do not consider them to be payments. The whole point of the scheme is that they are loans. That leaves us only with the question of whether they required to be declared i.e were they payments.

Now, those who demand Rangers be punished like to muddy the waters by talking about HMRC, unpaid tax, sporting advantage and higher moral considerations. The only consideration for the SPL, however, is were they payments and were they declared.

The SPL have decided that Rangers have a case to answer. Today they have decided that Celtic do not. This is curious in relation to the above since, on the 23rd May, the BBC claim to have written to all SPL clubs asking about use of EBTs. The following is exactly what they were told.

“BBC Scotland Investigates wrote to all of the Scottish Premier League’s member clubs and asked whether they had ever operated an EBT scheme.

Celtic confirmed that it established one EBT scheme in April 2005, which BBC Scotland understands was for the benefit of the Brazilian midfielder Juninho Paulista. The scheme was worth £765,000 but the club did not declare the trust payment to the Scottish Football Association or the Scottish Premier League.

The payments made to the trust were declared in Celtic’s annual report for 2004/2005, but in 2008 the club became aware of an event giving rise to a potential tax liability which was subsequently paid after agreement with HMRC.

The remaining 10 SPL clubs replied and confirmed they had never set up an EBT scheme for any of their employees.”

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotlan...-west-18169502

Now it is quite clear from this that Celtic did operate an EBT and they did not declare it to the SPL or SFA as part of Juninho’s registration. This makes the case absolutely identical to the Rangers case. So why is there no case to answer?

That is a difficult question. Celtic like to claim it is because they paid the tax that HMRC felt was due for the use of the EBT. This appears to be true but does not in any way impact on the registration issue. Either the EBT was declared on the registration or it was not. The issue of tax paid is one for HMRC.

When considering this, we need to know who actually investigated on behalf of the SPL. At the moment we don’t. It is well documented that Rod McKenzie of Harper MacLeod has conducted the investigation into Rangers. Harper Macleod are the SPL lawyers on this matter so it seems likely to be the case that they would have examined the Celtic case too. They can’t have though, because that would be as clear a case of conflict of interest as you could ever get. Harper Macleod are also Celtic lawyers and it would be unethical and utterly absurd for them to have been involved here.

So who at the SPL decided there was no case to answer? Was another law firm employed to investigate Celtic? If so, then why was this firm not also used to investigate Rangers given the issues with Rod McKenzie and Celtic’s lawyers doing so? If the BBC information is correct then how did these nameless investigators come to the conclusion that the evidence did not need to be examined by an ‘independent’ tribunal? It is clearly an identical situation.

Let me be absolutely clear. I think the SPL made the correct decision regarding Celtic. The idea that a sporting advantage was gained from EBTs is absurd. EBTs could never have been declared to the SPL because doing so would have rendered the whole point of them, a tax benefit, unavailable.

In a competition where there is no salary cap on players, the rules on registration exist purely to protect players and ensure that in areas of dispute the players can show exactly what they are contractually due. To my knowledge, no Rangers or Celtic players are complaining that they did not receive payments they were due.

The SPL investigation is a sham. It is an excuse to further attack Rangers. There is no sporting advantage, no ‘financial doping’, no match fixing. The fact that a player is being paid is important because that is why registration is needed – how much they are being paid is totally irrelevant. These claims are absurd and have been made specifically to inflame public opinion ahead of a pre-determined verdict.

If the SPL got it absolutely correct on Celtic then the question should be why are they pursuing Rangers? The answer to that lies with the people conducting the witch hunt and it is about time the media in this country started doing their job and asked the required questions.

http://chrisgraham76.wordpress.com/2...ebt-hypocrisy/

nice one there ,Chris. (tu)

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

:superally:

You just did point it out. You are also wrong but I am sure that won't stop you.

Let me try and dig out that excellent informative post you did on this topic so I can compare....Hmm seems I can't find it. Maybe you can help?

Token/GCL was outed as a bheast on FF about 5 years ago and banned

I keep hearing that, but never see any of the details

Can you provide a link/source for this?

Until I see some evidence, I can only regard it as hearsay.

You can "regard" it however you like, doesn't make it less true. The link/source? Follow follow! Clear as day. Haha why not just pop over and post "can someone tell me about token"? An sure that would do it ;)

I've just explained to you why it's one and the same thing. Your reply is "I'll leave this here". Ah well, you almost accepted your error.

You really should have a good think to yourself about your constant attempts to disrupt threads for no apparent reason other than to be deliberately confrontational. It's not healthy for RM and has not gone unnoticed by many. I'll leave this here. (tu)

It's not gone unnoticed for years, yet still nobody has done anything about it mate ;) the tell tale signs are there for all to see, spoiling threads, never actually answering questions... As seen on the likes of the Scotsman comments daily.

The guy should have been off here years ago

It's not gone unnoticed for years, yet still nobody has done anything about it mate ;) the tell tale signs are there for all to see, spoiling threads, never actually answering questions... As seen on the likes of the Scotsman comments daily.

The guy should have been off here years ago

There are scores of good posters who refuse to come on here because of GCL

Great writers and true Rangers people

You can "regard" it however you like, doesn't make it less true. The link/source? Follow follow! Clear as day. Haha why not just pop over and post "can someone tell me about token"? An sure that would do it ;)

Nah mate, TBH FF is not my cup of tea.

But even if I did accept that "Token" was indeed a taig, I would then need to see evidence that Token is now GCL.

Sorry to be so sceptical, but I'm like that with everything in life.

Of course you personally don't need to prove anything to me, just as I don't need to believe anything you say that isn't backed up by good evidence.

Indeed, I am one that hasn't been on in a long time, I don't like to consort with bheasts, and used to be a writer here, and member from day 1. It's a shame, apart from a minority this can be an amazon site, admin and members do some great work. Just spoiled by some little twats

Well, I personally have never had any issue with any of the GCL posts that I've read.

I would guess that if anything did stop me coming on here, it wouldn't be GCL, but more likely his lynch mob

Nah mate, TBH FF is not my cup of tea.

But even if I did accept that "Token" was indeed a taig, I would then need to see evidence that Token is now GCL.

Sorry to be so sceptical, but I'm like that with everything in life.

Of course you personally don't need to prove anything to me, just as I don't need to believe anything you say that isn't backed up by good evidence.

Ff isn't my cup of tea either, completely riddled with taigs. And you don't have anything to apologise for. Far too many people I trust implicitly in real life also say this, which is good enough for me.

Well, I personally have never had any issue with any of the GCL posts that I've read.

I would guess that if anything did stop me coming on here, it wouldn't be GCL, but more likely his lynch mob

Fair enough, explain what he contributed to this thread? Apart from a lie about part of an article, which he then conpletely refused to expand on, because he can't! Simply came on to disrupt an important topic

And as far as a lynch mob? The guy is on ignore from me, yet due to the joys of other people quoting him, I can see he pops in with snarky comments on almost every topic I post in. As he does with many others, deserves everything that comes his way, trouble causers always do!

Fair enough, explain what he contributed to this thread? Apart from a lie about part of an article, which he then conpletely refused to expand on, because he can't! Simply came on to disrupt an important topic

What you see as disruption, I see as differing opinions. OK, so he courts controversy - some people do. We need to have dissenting voices, to allow us to properly analyse our own opinions.

If I have any criticism of this site, it's that it has become virtually impossible to say anything that isn't totally in tune with the party line, even if you're just trying to play devil's advocate - and I don't think that's a good place to be.

And as far as a lynch mob? The guy is on ignore from me, yet due to the joys of other people quoting him, I can see he pops in with snarky comments on almost every topic I post in. As he does with many others, deserves everything that comes his way, trouble causers always do!

Although to be fair, it's the other way around on this thread, isn't it?

What you see as disruption, I see as differing opinions. OK, so he courts controversy - some people do. We need to have dissenting voices, to allow us to properly analyse our own opinions.

If I have any criticism of this site, it's that it has become virtually impossible to say anything that isn't totally in tune with the party line, even if you're just trying to play devil's advocate - and I don't think that's a good place to be.

There is nothing wrong with differing views, or opinions, however there is a difference between offering a differing opinion, and (as he has done) coming on and telling someone they are wrong without reason or substance. That's pointless, and spoiling a thread.

Be interested to know what the party line is? On here, I thought it was "Rangers fan"? So, what you are saying is, if you don't tow the party line you aren't a rangers fan? Good, I agree ;)

There is nothing wrong with differing views, or opinions, however there is a difference between offering a differing opinion, and (as he has done) coming on and telling someone they are wrong without reason or substance. That's pointless, and spoiling a thread.

Be interested to know what the party line is? On here, I thought it was "Rangers fan"? So, what you are saying is, if you don't tow the party line you aren't a rangers fan? Good, I agree ;)

The party line changes with the weather.

A few weeks ago, anyone saying anything negative about Ally's managerial prowess would be neg-repped into oblivion. Then after a couple of away draws, and a post by a respected mod, it was suddenly ok, then after the Elgin game, the subject totally disappeared.

I've never criticised any Rangers manager or player ever, but if others want to, they should be allowed to - the way to win an argument is with good points, not neg-reps and abuse.

And I have opinions about politics, culture, religion and other subjects that I wouldn't dare share on here, because I know they wouldn't be tolerated, and I would be dogma'd in to the ground. GCL is obviously just braver or stupider than me. :pipe:

No, it's not. Many are still waiting to hear why fury is wrong? Or didn't you even read his first post on here, which was also picked up by an admin? Haha

Well maybe if we asked GCL nicely, he'd grant us his insight

And cheers for the multiple neg-reps Nemisis, you've proved my last point. I'm not a fan of your posts either, but happy to let you make them.

What is "brave" about hiding behind a keyboard, sniping at people, and refusing to meet face to face?

OK, brave may not be the right word :craphead:

But offering people out for fights cos you don't like their posts is not particularly noble either.

He's a piece of shite, and a taig bastard.

He may be a piece of shite, that's a hard one to prove, but I still haven't seen any evidence for him being a taig. Most taigs on here get banned after a few posts.