Can it be saved

Like most expats it's difficult for us to gauge the feeling towards the game in Scotland, we get snippets of this and snippets of that.

I read the comments attributed to the owner of Celtic and the president of the SFA over the last few days which got me wondering about where the games future lies.

The lack of interest shown in the game by supporters out with our fantastic support this season and in fairness in previous seasons must be worrying those running the game. Has the game hit depths that it cannot recover from are we staring a league of Ireland scenario in the face, what if anything are those running the game able to offer up that will entice the supporters back to the game.

What's the feeling back home is the game done or can it be saved and if so how.

Like most expats it's difficult for us to gauge the feeling towards the game in Scotland, we get snippets of this and snippets of that.

I read the comments attributed to the owner of Celtic and the president of the SFA over the last few days which got me wondering about where the games future lies.

The lack of interest shown in the game by supporters out with our fantastic support this season and in fairness in previous seasons must be worrying those running the game. Has the game hit depths that it cannot recover from are we staring a league of Ireland scenario in the face, what if anything are those running the game able to offer up that will entice the supporters back to the game.

The way I found to keep up with any (real) Rangers related news was to join RM! The mainstream online media is so taig-infested its untrue. Any Gers fan replying to anything on any of the online media (especially the likes of the Rhecord) gets slated with hate filled bigotry until its beyond what the story was actually about.

And in answer to your question, Scottish football has been a 2 horse race for so long the rest have dropped by the wayside to such an extent, if both Rangers and c*lt*c were to leave the SPL then it would collapse although, it is already doing that with the one (biggest) team in the land leaving.

Without major reconstruction, the whole of Scottish football will carry on the decline until the League of Oirland/Wales is better than the League of Scotland? Lose the SPL, reformat all the leagues and maybe it will work out?

Who knows, bring on (please, please) the death of the SPL and we shall see.

no sure sign yet but my opinion is the spl will fail in the next twelve months with the sfa trying to spin it as reconstruction. TV viewings are down and i believe tickets for games is slightly down already and we are not into winter yet. Motherwell 5 home games this season including CL and uefa cup only attracted 28000 altogether. For me it is already no better than the irish leagues if this is all the second team in the league can bring in.

this game in scotland isnt totally done just yet but the longer the incapable heads of the sfa/spl have a say, the worse it becomes. this is what i would do to get it going again:-

1. sack reagan / bring in walter

2. sack doncaster / bring in longmuir to head up new SFL

3. sack levein / bring in souness

4. sack the spl / no need for it anymore

5. 42 senior clubs in scotland is too much - amalgamate 42 into 36

6. 3 leagues of 12 or 2 of 18

7. reduce all ticket prices to £15 adults / £5 kids and oaps for all games

8. renogotiate tv deal with first live show being the public flogging of 1,2 & 3

9. bring back reserve league

10. bring back winter shut down

this i reckon would get the whole fucked up mess back on the road to recovery but id be surprised if any of this gets done, im afraid its going down the drain bud doh

Scottish Football is far from finished but a step change is required or we are facing a league of Ireland situation.

The whole Rangers situation, has, in many ways brought a lot of issues (or about to bring might be more accurate) to a head.

Some sort of reconstruction will happen by the end of this season.

Some how we as a fan base and the other teams have to find ways of collaborating together as what has happened has been utterly divisive.

For me, the biggest change required is in the European set up - there are lots of 'big' teams in smaller countries where the TV money is not available in the quantities it is in the bigger leagues - and that needs changed.

Based purely on our fan base we will be back at the top (even if it takes 3-4 years) but its what happens after that that defines Scottish football for generations and an 'Atlantic' League concept or revamp of European competitions that somehow levels the playing field somewhat is required so that we can truly be at the top of the European game as that is where we belong!

If any of the teams outwith celtic had money this season or even next and the ambition to go for, then aye, it can be saved.

If it stays the same with celtic winning the league by christmas then the younger fans that aren't born into Rangers or celtic families are going to start having English prem teams as their ''First'' team.

Teams like Hearts (SFL3 feeder club), hibs aberdeen killie will just be ike your own local side, you'll want them to do well, but you wont buy a season ticket for them.

So as far as am conserned, Scottish football is in the beginings of the end. All the decent young Scottish talent will be snapped up by celtic or the English prem or Championship.

Scottish football has always needed the Old Firm. I said years ago if the Olf firm was split, the game would crumble and if you asked me before all this happened to us if I would want celtic dead, or relegated to the arse of the Scottish football ladder, I would have said no, because I know it would be the end of Scottish football.

If you asked me that same question now, my answer would be that not only do I want to see them dead, I want their stadium to collapse, their teams plane crash on landing and every tim in this country kicked out and sent to oirland.

I want fuck all to do with them anymore and if we never play them again, I will die a happy man.

So in answer to your question, imo, it cant be saved. scottish football is in hospital with a terminal illness. It's only a matter of time before its dead.

Scottish Football is far from finished but a step change is required or we are facing a league of Ireland situation.

The whole Rangers situation, has, in many ways brought a lot of issues (or about to bring might be more accurate) to a head.

Some sort of reconstruction will happen by the end of this season.

Some how we as a fan base and the other teams have to find ways of collaborating together as what has happened has been utterly divisive.

For me, the biggest change required is in the European set up - there are lots of 'big' teams in smaller countries where the TV money is not available in the quantities it is in the bigger leagues - and that needs changed.

Based purely on our fan base we will be back at the top (even if it takes 3-4 years) but its what happens after that that defines Scottish football for generations and an 'Atlantic' League concept or revamp of European competitions that somehow levels the playing field somewhat is required so that we can truly be at the top of the European game as that is where we belong!

That was my next point.

Uefa have recognized the need for change from what we have all read, this has been standing out for years now.

So is it an issue facing just Scotland or is wide spread change required to help the game in general.

I personally don't believe the game in Scotland can bring the fans back if all they are offering is a revised format of what we already have.

A mid week euro league based on domestic league positions would be a start as I've said before finish first go into euro league 1, second euro league 2 etc.

The money earned playing in Europe should prop up each club competings bank balance and allow teams not in Europe a better cut of the domestic pot.

That was my next point.

Uefa have recognized the need for change from what we have all read, this has been standing out for years now.

So is it an issue facing just Scotland or is wide spread change required to help the game in general.

I personally don't believe the game in Scotland can bring the fans back if all they are offering is a revised format of what we already have.

A mid week euro league based on domestic league positions would be a start as I've said before finish first go into euro league 1, second euro league 2 etc.

The money earned playing in Europe should prop up each club competings bank balance and allow teams not in Europe a better cut of the domestic pot.

Nail on head - just simply a revised format of what we have brings nothing to the game (although why we need the SFA, SPL,and SFL is another,administrative matter)

Something needs to happen to allow our top clubs a fairer cut of the cash available - by applying simple economic factors (which is what happens with TV audiences) teams from countries with large populations prosper but big teams from smaller countries suffer. I accept (maybe not) Man. United and Arsenal have the same potential as us based on fan base but no one will convince me that Man City and Chelsea, never mind the other EPL teams are our equivalent but TV (and billionaire ownership) has given them the opportunity to pull away from us - FIFA/UEFA are trying to do something about it with the financial fair play rules but there also needs to be a change to the European structure - as you say perhapss a mid-week European league where overall fan base counts not just territorial size.

Nail on head - just simply a revised format of what we have brings nothing to the game (although why we need the SFA, SPL,and SFL is another,administrative matter)

Something needs to happen to allow our top clubs a fairer cut of the cash available - by applying simple economic factors (which is what happens with TV audiences) teams from countries with large populations prosper but big teams from smaller countries suffer. I accept (maybe not) Man. United and Arsenal have the same potential as us based on fan base but no one will convince me that Man City and Chelsea, never mind the other EPL teams are our equivalent but TV (and billionaire ownership) has given them the opportunity to pull away from us - FIFA/UEFA are trying to do something about it with the financial fair play rules but there also needs to be a change to the European structure - as you say perhapss a mid-week European league where overall fan base counts not just territorial size.

There has been a period in the game where the champions league has driven divide between the haves and have nots.

Someone may correct me here, is it not the case that only three or four countries have had teams contest the CL final in the last decade or so.

As much as the finals are usually great to watch it would be great to see a wee diddy team in there now and again.

Mid week games and if they want a round robin of all league winners in a semi final type play off then a super cup final.

I don't you're missing much, except the septic 'love in' that's being broadcast every night on Irish Broadcasting Company every night on New new bbc Scotland.

Most games are broadcast on MW, so you can tune in via the internet. Lucky you!

Fair enough, it was a great European result for them the other night, but to keep it up the next night, and probably tonight is showing that Scottish football is dead without Rangers.

OK, it may not be dead, but it's needing some serious treatment before it's terminated completely.

League reconstruction should happen in the next year or so, therefore we'll be back in the top league before the estimated 3 years, but we still won't be able to play in Europe because we need 3 years accounts, I think!

Whole country is screwed not just football.

The OP states he is an ex-pat. I am too. One of the very many reasons I (and I dare say a few others) left the UK was because the country is indeed screwed; well, at least, its not going anywhere fast. This referendum nonsense is another reason I have no wish to be there; I am ex armed forces - which country do I fight for? England? Scotland? UK? Europe?

Add that to the utterly disgusting way we, as a team and fans, have been treated and I am glad to be out of there.

Minority groups are ruling the UK. Its against the law to accept/deny on grounds of race yet the Met Police want1.5m minorities within their ranks? That's racist! Scotland, a land of 5.5m (or thereabouts) is run by 1/2m fenians!

(Oh, and I live in a country with freedom of speech so I am allowed to say that!)

Fuck minority rule. We are the biggest, most supported club in Scotland and we should have better voices.

Sorry, got a bit carried away there! Rule Britannia!

The OP states he is an ex-pat. I am too. One of the very many reasons I (and I dare say a few others) left the UK was because the country is indeed screwed; well, at least, its not going anywhere fast. This referendum nonsense is another reason I have no wish to be there; I am ex armed forces - which country do I fight for? England? Scotland? UK? Europe?

Add that to the utterly disgusting way we, as a team and fans, have been treated and I am glad to be out of there.

Minority groups are ruling the UK. Its against the law to accept/deny on grounds of race yet the Met Police want1.5m minorities within their ranks? That's racist! Scotland, a land of 5.5m (or thereabouts) is run by 1/2m fenians!

(Oh, and I live in a country with freedom of speech so I am allowed to say that!)

Fuck minority rule. We are the biggest, most supported club in Scotland and we should have better voices.

Sorry, got a bit carried away there! Rule Britannia!

Independence lol, I was thinking about this the other day, who would run the country because that wee donut muncher Salmond has not got a clue, I have seen more brains behind a false mask.

Independence lol, I was thinking about this the other day, who would run the country because that wee donut muncher Salmond has not got a clue, I have seen more brains behind a false mask.

They'll be no independence mate - we may be downtrodden, but we're no fcken stupit............

Fuck the tims, fuck the pope, fuck all those fenians that came to our country as starving refugees. BTW - if the polis is after me - i'm in maritius, but i'll be back for Christmas.