Tommy Gemmel Orange B ?

bluechip

Thought you good people on the Bears Den would like to discuss this little eye opener. I thought catholic meant all embracing!!! :7325::7326::7325:

Lisbon Lion Tommy Gemmell has told how some of his team-mates called him an "Orange b*****d".

Hero Gemmell, a Protestant, also claims there were players who wanted to turn Celtic into a Catholics-only club.

He said he suffered the abuse at the start of his Parkhead career in the early 1960s.

The star - who scored in Celtic's European Cup win in 1967 - told how he and fello

w defender Ian Young were the only Protestants in the team when he first arrived at the club.

Gemmell said: "If either of us had a bad game we would get bigoted abuse.

"Certain other players would say, 'What do you expect of an Orange b*****d?

"They would say it directly to you, and they were not having a joke or a laugh.

"I don't know why they called an Orange b', as I had never been in an Orange lodge in my life.

"A handful of players at the club could have been described as real bigots and they would have liked to see a Celtic side that was 100 per cent Catholic."

Gemmell, 61, tells in his new book Lion Heart how he was backed by chairman Sir Robert Kelly and players like Billy McNeill and Steve Chalmers.

The former full-back - who played more than 400 games for Celtic - said: "I just wanted to go out and play and as I got more experienced more senior players saw I was good for the team and everything became ***ky-dory.

"But there had been some resentment of me when I first became established.

"To his credit, the Celtic chairman Sir Bob Kelly was always keen to stress my merits as a player.

"And guys like Billy McNeill and Steve Chalmers were never bigoted.

"The bigoted guys had been at the club for a long time, but why they thought the way they did, I don't know."

Big Gemmell was good mates with my da'.They were in the same Masonic Lodge,in Bellshill.

When my father asked him how could he play in front of a support like that,his reply was he couldnt hear them cos he was whistling the Sash throughout the 90 mins. ;)

remember gemmell and bertie auld being sent home from an american tour for refusing to go to an irish club in kearney and heading to the local masonic lodge instead.the tarriers were raging,

Auld seems to have ingratiated himself with the great unwashed more than Gemmell has over the years.

Not that any I have any respect for either of them.

ED, over to you.

Did not want to upset anyone........so waited for the invite7325.gif Worked with him for a couple of years and YES have a few stories .............he loves his wine and we used to go to Nicos in Sauchiehall St and one time (not band camp) we had a delightful to whi long long lunch and later on in the day........this guy came up and said .............."excuse me, are you Tommy Gemmell" to which I replied ....no he's Danny Kaye.................any hows.............he replied yes faither (he was not a dhirty bheast, just old) and the guy said...............can't believe I am shaking the hand and talking to one of the lions...............Gemmell then unbuttoned the top o fhis shirt losend his tie and showed him his European medal...........the guy said.can I touch it ...........sure faither.....so the guy touches the medal and looks at me , and I said to Gemmell turn over your lapel and show him your two and a half badge.........the fucker stormed out of Nicos 7325.gif the tim not Gemmell btw7325.gif

One other quick one.........he told us the story about Bertie Auld who came into training one day and said ..........I'm handing in a transfer request today............billy mickbingo said you can't do that, why are you wanting to do that..............Auld said everyday I get off the train at Bridgeton Cross and everyone says ......he comes the fenian bastard and all the way along the London Rd I get the same.....had enough of it..........want away.

Mickbingo replied...........you can't do that not for that reason..............Auld replied why not..........mickbingo said I get called that all the time and i don't ant to leave.......Auld said .....but the difference is you are a fenian bastard I'm not 7325.gif

Don't think Auld is like that now, but he came form a good Protestant family from up behind Firhill and Panmure.

ps ........... couldn't be bothered adding all the " and the likes , so feel free to do sotongue.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

pps Gillette,he told me he was a Coltness boy.

was in auld's company after a game at easter road when he was hibs manager we all had a wee bit to drink and a guy asked him how he could play for that lot.his reply was "their money is the same colour as everybody else".he was brought up in maryhill a partick man.

Did not want to upset anyone........so waited for the invite7325.gif Worked with him for a couple of years and YES have a few stories .............he loves his wine and we used to go to Nicos in Sauchiehall St and one time (not band camp) we had a delightful to whi long long lunch and later on in the day........this guy came up and said .............."excuse me, are you Tommy Gemmell" to which I replied ....no he's Danny Kaye.................any hows.............he replied yes faither (he was not a dhirty bheast, just old) and the guy said...............can't believe I am shaking the hand and talking to one of the lions...............Gemmell then unbuttoned the top o fhis shirt losend his tie and showed him his European medal...........the guy said.can I touch it ...........sure faither.....so the guy touches the medal and looks at me , and I said to Gemmell turn over your lapel and show him your two and a half badge.........the fucker stormed out of Nicos 7325.gif the tim not Gemmell btw7325.gif

One other quick one.........he told us the story about Bertie Auld who came into training one day and said ..........I'm handing in a transfer request today............billy mickbingo said you can't do that, why are you wanting to do that..............Auld said everyday I get off the train at Bridgeton Cross and everyone says ......he comes the fenian bastard and all the way along the London Rd I get the same.....had enough of it..........want away.

Mickbingo replied...........you can't do that not for that reason..............Auld replied why not..........mickbingo said I get called that all the time and i don't ant to leave.......Auld said .....but the difference is you are a fenian bastard I'm not 7325.gif

Don't think Auld is like that now, but he came form a good Protestant family from up behind Firhill and Panmure.

ps ........... couldn't be bothered adding all the " and the likes , so feel free to do sotongue.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

pps Gillette,he told me he was a Coltness boy.

He actually played football for coltness juniors before Celtic