Rangers chief executive Charles Green predicts European overhaul

Mr Soprano

Green's consortium relaunched the Ibrox club after the former incarnation could not be saved from liquidation.

Rangers currently play in Scottish Football League Division Three.

"There will be a European league because big teams can't keep subsidising small teams for the next 10 years because they will go stale," said Green.

"Arsenal don't want to play Southampton or Swansea, but ask them if they want to play Celtic or Rangers. It's what the fans want to see.

"Fans across the world want to see Manchester United play Barcelona, not just once every few years but every season.

"If there are two divisions of 18 clubs, how could Rangers not be a part of that?

"I'm convinced it will happen because otherwise where will the revenues for the top come from?

"These days Arsenal are struggling to sell out their game against West Ham."

Last month, BBC Scotland revealed Scottish clubs, including Rangers, were to discuss the possibility of being part of a new European regional league set-up.

Uefa is believed to be becoming increasingly concerned by the polarisation across the game between the top clubs and top leagues and is open to change.

And Green added: "How can Manchester United's revenues be £320m and Aston Villa, who are completely useless, get £250m?

"What Manchester United put into world football is massive, but what they take out of it is a joke and they won't put up with that for much longer."

Taken from BBC Sport.

The former states of Yugoslavia are considering forming a regional Balkan League, starting in 2015, with UEFA believed to be prepared to grant approval to the cross-border competition.

According to a report in Croatia's Globus newspaper, the topic was raised at a meeting organised by European football's governing body, and is being seriously considered by eight countries.

The league would involve teams from Croatia, Serbia, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Slovenia, Macedonia and Montenegro, along with Hungary and Bulgaria. Michel Platini, the UEFA president, has expressed his support for cross-border competitions, even though the governing body has previously held reservations.

The meeting discussing the proposed Balkan League was held last month, and chaired by the deputy secretary-general, Theodore Theodoridis, and, if the competition was to be established, it would set a precedent.

The Old Firm were once involved in discussion about forming an Atlantic league with teams from the Netherlands, Denmark, Sweden, Norway, Portugal and Belgium. UEFA were against the proposal at the time, but that was 10 years ago and attitudes have changed. UEFA recently set a precedent by agreeing to clubs competing in a cross-border women's football league in Belgium and the Netherlands being allowed to contest European tournaments. That development would allow for clubs in a Balkan or Atlantic League being granted access to the Champions League.

I'd love an idea like this and once again Green is spot on; who wants to play SPL teams. It's a dire product. I think the Premier League hold the key to this. After all it's their big guns who have to share TV money with much smaller teams. Not so much of an issue for teams like Barca and Real who negotiate their own deals.

In terms of our history and support we are the equal of any team in the upper echelon of football. It's only our meager forms of revenue that has seen the gap between ourselves and the likes of Manchester United and Barcelona widen every year.

And he's right....foreign ownership of the big teams means they have no loyalty to their national leagues now and they will expoit all revenues.

Always makes me chuckle when I hear bears saying work our way up in England till we get to the Premiership....by the time we get there it will be dead due to the top 6 playing in Europe.

Green's consortium relaunched the Ibrox club after the former incarnation could not be saved from liquidation.

Rangers currently play in Scottish Football League Division Three.

"There will be a European league because big teams can't keep subsidising small teams for the next 10 years because they will go stale," said Green.

"Arsenal don't want to play Southampton or Swansea, but ask them if they want to play Celtic or Rangers. It's what the fans want to see.

"Fans across the world want to see Manchester United play Barcelona, not just once every few years but every season.

"If there are two divisions of 18 clubs, how could Rangers not be a part of that?

"I'm convinced it will happen because otherwise where will the revenues for the top come from?

"These days Arsenal are struggling to sell out their game against West Ham."

Last month, BBC Scotland revealed Scottish clubs, including Rangers, were to discuss the possibility of being part of a new European regional league set-up.

Uefa is believed to be becoming increasingly concerned by the polarisation across the game between the top clubs and top leagues and is open to change.

And Green added: "How can Manchester United's revenues be £320m and Aston Villa, who are completely useless, get £250m?

"What Manchester United put into world football is massive, but what they take out of it is a joke and they won't put up with that for much longer."

Taken from BBC Sport.

CG has hit the nail on the head as to the teams in the EPL; however I dont see the answer being a Western European league of smaller countries.

At the end of the day the people who will make this decision are Sky. So far they have been able to sell the EPL world wide on the backs of maybe six teams, in the case of Chelsea and Man City there has been interest because of two very rich backers moving in and taking clubs that were going nowhere to a new level. The rest of the sides comprise of about two or three teams with a bit of luck might be able to challenge for a European place every couple of years, the rest are make weights, with about six who will probably be relegation every year and indeed fighting financial meltdown.

Financially the EPL is one step away from meltdown due to massive debts and player wages, as a marketable product that will sell world wide they are approaching the point of diminishing returns Sky can sell the big clubs game with ease but the market for Wigan vs. Reading or Aston Villa vs. Stoke is not going to last much longer. Like it or not the easiest fix would be the arrival of Rangers and ce**ic because of their world wide fan base. I see it dont see it as a case of them joining the EPL, but the formation of a new Sky UK league.

The problem with this will always be the Champions league and league titles, will either of the Scots teams fans be willing to accept the possibility of no European ties due to the possibility that it will take them time to build squads than can compete with the top English sides without falling into the same trap of excessive wage bills. Also unlike the people who currently run the SFA/SPL I think most football fans still have a feeling of social responsibility when it comes to football within their own borders and their national team. As I said earlier though Sky will be the ones who make the decision as football sold its sole to them a long time back and if they decide to drop the money on offer most of the EPL and SPL are out of business overnight. The thought of all that revenue and playing big teams every week is really appealing, but it is never a win, win situation for long. You have to be careful what you wish for, just look at the once mighty Liverpool.

"How can Manchester United's revenues be £320m and Aston Villa, who are completely useless, get £250m?

:lol:

I don't think he was trying to be all that acurate with the figures involved. His point was that there are a heck of a lot of smaller teams in the EPL who live off the reputation and the spillover/tricle down revenue base of the teams at the top. Look at Scotland, four top divisions and three of them seem to comprise of teams that at best get a home support of a couple of thosand and in most cases a few hundred. Do these figures decribe what most folk think of being "professional" football clubs? Even the best of the junior teams can pull a bigger support.

Would prefer it if he'd play his cards closer to his chest at times rather than something such as this potentially blowing up in our faces. It would take big changes to just kick off a European League. What will happen to the rest of the teams left behind if it went to two tiers of 18 teams.

And a record at that.

I wonder where CG gets his data from? <cr>

Think he has taken those figures from the new tv deal that kicks in next year.

The team which finishes last in season 13/14 will get more tv money than the team that wins the EPL this year.

Crazy increase!!

You can say what you like about Aston Villa, but I'd love to have their financial set up and their owner who knows an unsustainable model when he sees it (hence O'Neill bollocking off), Lerner or Doug Ellis, they've always kept that football club healthy.

You can say what you like about Aston Villa, but I'd love to have their financial set up and their owner who knows an unsustainable model when he sees it (hence O'Neill bollocking off), Lerner or Doug Ellis, they've always kept that football club healthy.

Since Lerner bought Aston Villa, the club has made cumulative losses of £148 million with the vast majority of that (£138 million) being made in the last three years.. :ph34r:

Yeah, I do read the Swiss Rambler :P

Since Lerner bought Aston Villa, the club has made cumulative losses of £148 million with the vast majority of that (£138 million) being made in the last three years.. :ph34r:

Yeah, I do read the Swiss Rambler :P

Yeah but he owes that to his family, aka himself, he can afford it too he's not as skint as people think he is, he's loaded but he very stern with it.

Whatever toes he may tread on one thing seems to me to be sure. Charles and the Rangers Board have the bit between their teeth and appear to be turning more and more onto the front foot to try to fashion a football reform agenda and to force the pace on it. I applaud it. Doing nothing for so long was getting nowhere. Rangers is a huge club with worldwide reach and it is absolutely right to try to force the exploration of what alternative league structures would work produce better games for the fans and generate better finacial returns for those clubs who are really serious about their footballing ambitions.

It may be a bit of megaphone statesmanship but at least he is out there battling for us in public and in the right places. We've had enough of taking incoming shells from the SPL and SFA gunboats and it seems we're taking aim ourselves. I say 'press on Charles'.