BTC - Rangers win the appeal

"It found most of the trusts were "valid" and loans are "recoverable" by the trust, although it conceded some advances to players were taxable and any bill is likely to be "substantially reduced" from the initial £46.2m assessment." - STV

So we wouldn't have been entirely in the clear. We would have still been liable, just not to the tune of £46million.

It's also worth remembering that HMRC have the power to appeal this decision.. This decision wouldn't have saved the old company, we'd still be travelling down the road of uncertainty.

• Replies 393
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

"It found most of the trusts were "valid" and loans are "recoverable" by the trust, although it conceded some advances to players were taxable and any bill is likely to be "substantially reduced" from the initial £46.2m assessment." - STV

So we wouldn't have been entirely in the clear. We would have still been liable, just not to the tune of £46million.

It's also worth remembering that HMRC have the power to appeal this decision.. This decision wouldn't have saved the old company, we'd still be travelling down the road of uncertainty.

Correct! Although whos to say Hmrc were willing to spunk even more tax payers money on yet another appeal the would likely lose again.

Surely they can only appeal if they have new evidence or information which was not used in the initial enquiry? They can't just keep on appealing ad infinitum until the decision goes their way.

Yes agreed, but the thing that pisses me off most about this is the NEWCO this NEWCO that nonsense we get from them and the press and I know I shouldn't let it bother me but it does; my point was for the sake of a few million quid would it be worth it to shut them all up in one foul swoop?

Thing is you'll never shut the haters up, even the truth has them looking for conspiracies. The result has half them shouting did you expect anything else and that the infamous blogg had promised them it was bang to rites lol

The debt will now be more than a few million, the original 9 million plus fees etc must be round 14 million now, the other creditors as well as maybe Ticketus would have another pop. We have lost out on monies from the SPL, SFA and European football so nothing to compensate for it all, no it is consigned to our history now. No going back only forward.

Really nothing attractive in it ant all, so all the sad mhanks can just go and fck themselves with their obsessive fairy tales.

Rangers Then, Rangers Now, Rangers Forever.

WATP

They will only appeal if this result affects other actions, i.e. chasing EPL teams for more money. Appealing our decision will cost them money for no return otherwise.

to me this opens a can of worms:

HMRC forced us to liquidate rather than a CVA which would have been better, how do the other creditors feel about this now?

We have been punished by the SPL for this, what now?

We have been accused of cheating, for not paying our way. Do we now get an apology for this?

Plus much much more

Bitter bitter sweet. So everything we as a support ourrbeloved club has gone through was unjust ?Don't know what to think feel happy but angry at same time .

Exactly what I feel. At least we can't be called cheats now but still a fucking joke.

Havent read through the whole thread but surely the transfer embargo will be lifted now?

And why exactly were we pumped to the 3rd Divsion then?

We received the transfer embargo initially because Rangers were charged with bringing the game into disrepute as a result of Whyte not paying tax.

It was then enforced as part of the 5 way agreement because the CVA was rejected.

Surely they can only appeal if they have new evidence or information which was not used in the initial enquiry? They can't just keep on appealing ad infinitum until the decision goes their way.

They will only appeal if this result affects other actions, i.e. chasing EPL teams for more money. Appealing our decision will cost them money for no return otherwise.

It said: "We are disappointed that we have lost this stage of the court process and we are considering an appeal. The decision was not unanimnous and the diligence of HMRC investigators was acknowledged by the whole tribunal. HMRC is committed to tackling avoidance and it is right that we challenge the type of avoidance seen in this case."

They clearly feel that they can still get something from this.. so an appeal is not "very very doubtful".

You also have to look at the bigger picture... if they can win this case it sets a precedent which will allow them to take on other clubs/businesses.(who they believe are guilty of tax avoidance)