Fans threaten SPL boycott if Rangers newco is given free pass into league

Senna

http://sport.stv.tv/football/clubs/rangers/304809-fans-threaten-spl-boycott-if-rangers-newco-is-given-free-pass-into-league/

More than half of supporters have warned they would stop attending Scottish Premier League fixtures if a Rangers newco was given automatic entry into the top flight.

A survey by splsurvey.co.uk, which hasn't been independently verified, has found 52.22% of 16,527 participants would “not attend any SPL fixtures at all” if the Ibrox club’s member share in the league was transferred to a new company, avoiding the debts of the current club.

Over 95% of those asked also stated their belief a newco Rangers should not be given permission to play in the SPL, a decision which would be made by the league’s board.

Scotland’s top 12 clubs are due to vote on new proposals later this month outlining possible sanctions for teams going down the newco route, as well as stricter punishments for going into administration. The survey found just 38.94% of fans backed the plans.

The results of the poll are also broken down club-by-club and show interesting contrasts between fans of each team.

Rangers supporters, who contributed to 2.73% of the total respondents, voted 57% in favour of their club being allowed to return to the SPL as a newco.

Celtic fans, meanwhile, were 98.08% against the idea. The club also contributed 40.56% of the total responses, more than any other.

No more than 7% of fans from any other SPL club said they would be in favour of newco joining the league.

In the Scottish Football League, 92.79% of 1,249 responses stated their opposition to any newco’s direct entry into the top flight.

The results were presented to SPL chief executive Neil Doncaster on Tuesday afternoon.

SURVEY RESULTS

If Rangers are liquidated and reformed as a Newco, should they be allowed immediate re-entry into the SPL?

Yes: 451 (4.51%); No 15,782 (95.49%)

In the event of a Rangers Newco being allowed immediate re-entry how, as a supporter of another SPL/SFL club would you respond?

I would continue to attend SPL fixtures as normal

1,957 (11.84%)

I would not attend any SPL fixtures at all

8,630 (52.22%)

I would continue to attend SPL fixtures but boycott any fixtures involving the Rangers Newco

5,282 (31.96%)

I support an SFL team so don’t attend any SPL fixtures

658 (3.98%)

Do you back the SPL’s Financial Fair Play Proposals?

No 10,092 (61.06%); Yes 6,435 (38.94%)

Hypocrites at Tannadice, it would seem.

More than half of them appear to have stopped attending anyway given the attendance figures. I wodner how all the chairmen feel now, lied to by fans and supporters clubs "Oh, aye we'll turn up if you block Rangers joining the SPL" before "Ah but I need to buy the school uniforms this week"

The hilarious thing about this is that these sporting integrity campaigners who fill in these surveys either dont go to the games or are more concerned with attacking us than supporting their own clubs because the reality is despite the BBC and SPL spin that attendances are down...despite getting rid of big bad Rangers.

The big difference is they would be willing to boycott their own club in their own stadium which shows that their hatred trumps their feelings for their own club which is a really sad reflection on our society.

The OP is about 6 months out of date. So are the SPL fans. They seem to think that we are still there, going by their apparent enforcement of a boycott. One must admire their discipline, if not the quality of the information upon which they act.

dont actually believe that poll is real. did anyone ever verify the results or how the data was collated?

you do a football poll in scotland and only 2.7% of respondents are gers fans? BULLSHIT.

Celtic fans, meanwhile, were 98.08% against the idea. The club also contributed 40.56% of the total responses, more than any other.

Slanted research?

This.

I'm sure the overwhelming majority on here wanted to avoid the SPL as well. Don't really see what the point is in bringing this up.

Probably because it's a continuing attack of us and our titles that the SPL want to take away.

Also, I think the OP was more pointing out what excuses the other SPL chairmen were giving to kick us out of the SPL, namely, their fans desires.

Given that CG has acted on what is seen as a 'fans' desire, it's just a good point to bring up.

I think that's the OP's point???