'No Bigger Club Than Liverpool in the EPL' - Sturridge

Senna

Liverpool's Daniel Sturridge says there is no bigger club than Liverpool in the Premier League, ahead of Sunday's game against Manchester United.

The 23-year-old striker signed for the Reds on 2 January from Chelsea and has also played for current champions Manchester City.

"It is the biggest club I have ever played for," Sturridge told Liverpool's official website.

"In the Premier League, there is no bigger club than Liverpool."

Liverpool and United are the two most decorated clubs in the top flight.

In terms of league titles, United have 19 compared to Liverpool's 18, while the Merseysiders have five European Cup wins to the Old Trafford side's three.

Sturridge scored on his Liverpool debut as his new side beat Mansfield in the FA Cup and is grateful to Reds boss Brendan Rodgers for signing him.

"I thank the boss for giving me an opportunity to play for a club like this and I thank God for making it possible," added Sturridge.

"For the manager to pay money for me and to have faith in me and show everybody around the world that he is prepared to take a chance on me, I don't think I'll ever be able to repay him for that.

"As a young player, when you play for big clubs you can sometimes get caught up in it and you never get another opportunity to play for another big club.

"So I'm grateful the manager has given me this chance and that he believes in me. I'm just glad to be here."

http://www.bbc.co.uk...otball/20948372

Didn't take long for the scouse smack dealers to get him hooked.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.bbc.co.uk...otball/20948372

Didn't take long for the scouse smack dealers to get him hooked.

In terms of historical trophies and worldwide following, he has a point. The likes of Chelsea and Manchester City are where they are due to their billionaire owners, not through years and years of success.

He isn't lying though is he?

Man Utd are probably a bigger club now, but Liverpool are easily the biggest club after them with only Arsenal coming close. Chelsea would still be a team fighting for a europa league spot without a russian billionaire, man city would still be a relegation fighting team without the middle easts billions.

Man Utd, Arsenal and Liverpool are the big clubs in England. Oh and btw, Everton aren't that far behind them either!

In terms of historical trophies and worldwide following, he has a point. The likes of Chelsea and Manchester City are where they are due to their billionaire owners, not through years and years of success.

I still reckon MU are bigger, and that Liverpool are living off past glories to a bit of an extent.

I still reckon MU are bigger, and that Liverpool are living off past glories to a bit of an extent.

I do too, but there is an argument to support Sturridge's remarks.

He is only doing what most players do - talk up new team to a) get fans on their side and b) to build confidence heading into their biggest match of the domestic season.

the cost of tickets for this game are £62 + the cost of travelling, that's a lot to pay out for a football match , peolpe are just sick of being ripped off .

If there was a protest by Man City fans against the money, money, money background of modern football, I would be 100% right behind them. However, they are happy enough to celebrate the excesses when it brings them victory, so fuck them!

If there was a protest by Man City fans against the money, money, money background of modern football, I would be 100% right behind them. However, they are happy enough to celebrate the excesses when it brings them victory, so fuck them!

well that why City sent back half the ticket allocation, the team maybe millionaires but the fans are not !

I'm not sure what to make of statements like that. The biggest: what does that mean really? I wouldn't feel comfortable going on about how my club is the biggest in Britain, or Europe. You should just be the best you can be, and then surely there are better ways to express your club. To call yourself the best supported, the biggest, the most successful, is gratuitous: even success can be subjective because football has changed periodically. Daniel Sturridge is talking up his new club, good for him, but really it's probably only rhetoric to get his fans going. It reminds me of the age old arguments about the "best": Hogan, Nicklaus, or Woods; Joe Louis, or Marciano or a whole host of Heavyweights; McEnroe, Federer, Borg?;... and so on. At the end of the day we'll never know; but I suspect that Liverpool are as big as the biggest in football.

It doesn't work like this. There's a reason Alex Ferguson jumped at the chance to manage Man Utd, even though their claim to be a big club (which they were) was based on past glories.

If Liverpool are no longer a big club, neither are Rangers.

Or maybe they don't have the fan base most others do....

most home games are sold out, i love how some people seem too think City were some "small club" before the Arabs came in, not saying City were the biggest club in England, but they were a long way from being some sort of pub team that won the lottery !

The fact that a quote from an average player who plays for a below-average team is the front story on BBC sport, only shows what utter nonsense that ridiculous comment is made by a stupid moron.

Glad he left Chelsea, never liked him to begin with.

The fact that a quote from an average player who plays for a below-average team is the front story on BBC sport, only shows what utter nonsense that ridiculous comment is made by a stupid moron.

Glad he left Chelsea, never liked him to begin with.

doh

And that moron was your top league scorer last season.

Newcastle have a loyal fanbase who deserve a bit of success, but they haven't been a big club for 50 years.

On the other hand, Liverpool can always point to 5 European Cups in the trophy room. Never thought of them as bigger than Man United at any time, but level pegging at one point.

Liverpool have not done anything of note in quite a bit of time the CL in Istanbul was the last major trophy they won unless domestic cups count.

They may historically be one of the biggest but in the present time they are a mid table club and have been for a few years now.