Perfect Solution to The Current Situation

jdonald755

With no sign of gaining entry to England, here's my wee idea to get some Sky money and put some intrest back into Scottish football.

16 team Premiership playing each other home and away = only 30 games

16 team Championship

16 team Conference= need to bring in the best Highland League/junior teams to make up the numbers.

Two teams from each division are relegated each year , 2 promoted, with a playoff with the 3rd bottom team and the 3 teams finishing 3rd to 5th in the div below.

There would need to be some sort of structure in place to decide which junior teams went into the Conference and where the relegated Conference teams went !

Keep the Scottish Cup as it is.

Keep the Challenge Cup between Conference and Championship teams.

Bring back the Glasgow Cup to give us and Sky an extra Old Firm game. Similar Cups in Edinburgh, Dundee, Highlands etc to get plenty of derby games and Tv money. Play these Cups Start of the season.

The League Cup, north and south of the border is pretty rotten. Low crowds, second string players and no real interest.

Here my idea :

Scottish League Cup is totally changed = Top 40 teams in Scotland are split into 8 sections of 5 teams . Teams are seeded to keep the top teams apart using standing from the previous years tables.

5 teams in each section. Play each team home and away = 8 games which makes up the lost games in the 16 team league.

Anyway, after the 8 games the top team in each section goes into the last 8 of the League Cup and the tournament plays out to a winner as usual.

Heres were the UK Cup comes in !

Uk and Ireland Cup could initially consist of 32 teams(. 24 from England as they have all the quality and attraction for Sky. 4 from Scotland. 3 from Ireland and one from Wales (excluding English FA clubs.)

To qualify for the UK Cup you must get to the semi-finals of the Scottish League Cup. This makes the Scottish League Cup very important. So big games, good crowds, 1st team players and Tv audiences.

Straight knockout games in the last 32 of the UK Cup. One game. Your luck if you are drawn home or away !

And if a non-English team get a team to the semi-final they are given another team to enter in the next years competition. So if Rangers got to the semis in 2013 then the Scottish Fa would have 5 teams to enter in the 2014 UK Cup. But if Rangers and Celtic got there, this would increase to 6.

Think this would be of intrest to Sky, Scottish FA, Welsh FA and the Irish FA. The only problem is convincing the English FA and UEFA. To convince the English clubs and FA I've given them a 3/4 of the allocation of teams. But I think thats fair with their bigger population, higher standard of players and the profile of their game.

It would benefit Rangers and Celtic's global profile and would serve like a mini Champions League to the lucky other 2 Scottish teams playing Man Utd's/ Chelsea's in competitive games.

And most importantly it would bring in money through Sky and football crowds.

There's my idea. Rip it to shreds now :)

A league of 16 is a no go due to the lack of games it provides. Whilst fewer games might actually be good for fans, clubs will point to being unable to survive with fewer matchday revenues and any tv deal will be scaled down due to fewer games that are able to be shown in a season.

Do we really want more Old Firm games? Going down to 2 a season would make these games mean more, and make any cup tie between the 2 clubs more unique.

English clubs already feel they play too many games a season - just look at the way most treat their League Cup and teams like Tottenham, in the past, have treated the Europa League. Financially it makes more sense to English clubs to concentrate on the Premier League and finishing as high up the table as they can. Cup glory only means something to the fans, and as all the reconstruction talk has shown we are only seen as a commodity to be bled dry.

A league of 16 is a no go due to the lack of games it provides. Whilst fewer games might actually be good for fans, clubs will point to being unable to survive with fewer matchday revenues and any tv deal will be scaled down due to fewer games that are able to be shown in a season.

Do we really want more Old Firm games? Going down to 2 a season would make these games mean more, and make any cup tie between the 2 clubs more unique.

English clubs already feel they play too many games a season - just look at the way most treat their League Cup and teams like Tottenham, in the past, have treated the Europa League. Financially it makes more sense to English clubs to concentrate on the Premier League and finishing as high up the table as they can. Cup glory only means something to the fans, and as all the reconstruction talk has shown we are only seen as a commodity to be bled dry.

Yep, I agree (tu)

I agree with what you saying but this is the best my wee brain would come up with.

Sky, who hold all the money want need/want Old Firms game and 3 guarenteed isn't too bad.

And maybe the League Cup sections games ( 4 home games ) could be included in season ticket prices. This gives guarenteed 19 home games.

Yup I agree with the English teams having too many games already.

Maybe the top 12 qualify automatically for the UK Cup ?

The top clubs don't really take their League Cup seriously anyway so maybe they would consider scrapping it and letting the lower Prem and other clubs scrap it out for the remaining 12 spaces in the UK Cup.

In my idea it is straight knockout so would only be 5 games for teams like Man Utd to win the Uk Cup and they won't have any League Cup games.

How long did that take you to think up?? I think it's a terrific idea, every part of it.

Well done mate

Just had a good think when I seen other people posting their ideas.

It made sense in my head and didn't seem too fanciful so I thought I'd share it and see what others thought.

Cheers mate.

With no sign of gaining entry to England, here's my wee idea to get some Sky money and put some intrest back into Scottish football.

16 team Premiership playing each other home and away = only 30 games

16 team Championship

16 team Conference= need to bring in the best Highland League/junior teams to make up the numbers.

Two teams from each division are relegated each year , 2 promoted, with a playoff with the 3rd bottom team and the 3 teams finishing 3rd to 5th in the div below.

There would need to be some sort of structure in place to decide which junior teams went into the Conference and where the relegated Conference teams went !

Keep the Scottish Cup as it is.

Keep the Challenge Cup between Conference and Championship teams.

Bring back the Glasgow Cup to give us and Sky an extra Old Firm game. Similar Cups in Edinburgh, Dundee, Highlands etc to get plenty of derby games and Tv money. Play these Cups Start of the season.

The League Cup, north and south of the border is pretty rotten. Low crowds, second string players and no real interest.

Here my idea :

Scottish League Cup is totally changed = Top 40 teams in Scotland are split into 8 sections of 5 teams . Teams are seeded to keep the top teams apart using standing from the previous years tables.

5 teams in each section. Play each team home and away = 8 games which makes up the lost games in the 16 team league.

Anyway, after the 8 games the top team in each section goes into the last 8 of the League Cup and the tournament plays out to a winner as usual.

Heres were the UK Cup comes in !

Uk and Ireland Cup could initially consist of 32 teams(. 24 from England as they have all the quality and attraction for Sky. 4 from Scotland. 3 from Ireland and one from Wales (excluding English FA clubs.)

To qualify for the UK Cup you must get to the semi-finals of the Scottish League Cup. This makes the Scottish League Cup very important. So big games, good crowds, 1st team players and Tv audiences.

Straight knockout games in the last 32 of the UK Cup. One game. Your luck if you are drawn home or away !

And if a non-English team get a team to the semi-final they are given another team to enter in the next years competition. So if Rangers got to the semis in 2013 then the Scottish Fa would have 5 teams to enter in the 2014 UK Cup. But if Rangers and Celtic got there, this would increase to 6.

Think this would be of intrest to Sky, Scottish FA, Welsh FA and the Irish FA. The only problem is convincing the English FA and UEFA. To convince the English clubs and FA I've given them a 3/4 of the allocation of teams. But I think thats fair with their bigger population, higher standard of players and the profile of their game.

It would benefit Rangers and Celtic's global profile and would serve like a mini Champions League to the lucky other 2 Scottish teams playing Man Utd's/ Chelsea's in competitive games.

And most importantly it would bring in money through Sky and football crowds.

There's my idea. Rip it to shreds now :)

Hoping the powers that be are looking at this and have the balls to invite you into their so called "Think Tank"....Well done you.

I like it.

The league cups both North and South are very boring.

I remember reading about Channel 5 when they used to show the league cup.

They basically said it was a calculated gamble, if Rangers didn't play Celtic they would forecast a loss.

I disagree with bringing in more clubs.

We should instead be tryin to get some clubs to take up amature status.

I like it.

The league cups both North and South are very boring.

I remember reading about Channel 5 when they used to show the league cup.

They basically said it was a calculated gamble, if Rangers didn't play Celtic they would forecast a loss.

I disagree with bringing in more clubs.

We should instead be tryin to get some clubs to take up amature status.

I know mate. Don't need tiny clubs without fans in the league but some of the Junior teams pull in decent crowds and if the likes of East Stirling were to get relegated I'm sure they would dissapear. Might get rid of the diddy 3rd div teams and bring through some of the well supported Junior teams.

Ross County and Inverness Caley were Highland League teams not long ago.

But I agree with your point. We are a small country and maybe we don't have the players/fans for so many clubs.

Could do a Champions League like seeding for the league Cup sections.

Pot 1= Top 8 Prem teams from previous season

Pot 2-Bottom 7 Prem teams and Championship winner from previous season

Pot 3= Bottom Prem team and 2nd to 8th Championship teams from previous season

Pot 4=9th to 15th Championship teams and Conference winner from previous season

Pot 5= Bottom of Championship and 2nd to 8th Conference teams from previous season

Think I'm getting too carried away with this now :)

Digging this 182 game season. A match every second day!

RIP!

Only 30 league games and 8 league cup games = same number of league games in Spl.

Then 2 games in the Glasgow Cup, which is really pre-season.( charity shield type )

Scottish Cup is same.

Last 8 of League Cup = max 3 games

Last 32 of British = max 5 games, which is unlikely.

So it would be pretty much the same number of games as present.

Aye in NORTHERN IRELAND, the other lot are called league of Ireland. (td)

The OP also needs a geography lesson: Northern Ireland is PART OF the UK!

Ireland is the name of the island consisting of NI & ROI.

Apart from the UK Cup idea I think the OP is onto something (tu)