ibrox set to be the biggest stadium in scotland

rangersxfc

CHARLES GREEN has revealed his dream to turn Ibrox into Scotland’s biggest stadium.

The Rangers chief claims he’ll fill in the corners of the ground and add another deck to the Govan Stand if the Third Division side fight their way through the leagues and go on to secure regular Champions League action.

He said: “We wouldn’t be frightened of doing it once we know we have the demand — and the top league in Europe would deliver that.”

Green has spoken with boss Ally McCoist about the possibility of increasing the 51,000 capacity. The proposals would be likely to give Ibrox more than Celtic’s 60,000 seats.

Green said: “I had this discussion with Ally, who knows this club significantly better than I do. He said if I could deliver consistently being in the Champions League and get into the last 16, then this stadium would not be big enough.

“If and when we get to that position, and I am confident we will, these are discussions the board will happily have.

“With the way the ground is configured, there is great opportunity to fill in the two corners and put another deck above the Argyle, which would substantially increase capacity.” Green, who admitted Gers are trading at a loss, also revealed he has still to make a decision on renaming the stadium.

He said: “It is not inevitable Ibrox will be renamed. Charles Green will fight for the Ibrox name to be in that new title.

“I’m sure people who have been associated with the club longer than I have will refer to its historical name.

“However, it is that history which attracts a sponsor and that is why people are prepared to buy naming rights for some stadiums rather than others.

“It is an emotive subject at every club and, with Rangers being one of the biggest, it is going to be a big subject.”

Green was impressed by the way Newcastle renamed their stadium The Sports Direct Arena and brought in cash to buy Demba Ba for £2.7million before selling him to Chelsea for £7m.

He said: “The cash they used for the naming rights of St James’ Park was used to acquire Demba Ba.

“That is an illustration that, if you can use the money well, it will bring further money in.”

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

We're operating at a loss?

First I have heard of this.

How can that be possible?

I think this is largely due to the whole "no redundancy" situation...other than first team squad, we are effectively running as an SPL club, with less money coming in the door.

Having said that, i do not think it takes into consideration the share issue

Now I love Charles, and perhaps this article is making a mountain from a small comment, but I think he needs to start keeping his own counsel on some of these things.

We are getting alot of conflicting reports on shirt deals, stadium renaming, reconstruction etc and it might be time just to sit back and get these issues sorted before talking about things like capacity increase, which is clearly something that is 5 - 10 years away judging by his comments

There is no need for this, much as many on here will go against me, we have a stadium that is the right size. Why build a stadium that will not be filled? Whats the point in that?For years we have had the 'corners filled' debate-we have a stadium that is the correct size.