***The Official Dundee United v Rangers Thread***

wearethepeople1

I agree with most of this, but with the right ATTITUDE, we have a chance of a win.

More than a chance I'd say.

It will go two ways imo.

Either it will turn into a slug fest. Blow for blow, up one end and back the other. If that happens it's anyones game and clinical finishing will be the decider - not great on our recent form. But, with Jig back hopefully and Templeton up for the challenge we can more than hold our own.

Or, we will look to slow the game right down, dictate the play through Black and Shiels. Then it becomes a case about the strength of defence. I trust big Ross and Cribari but they will both have to be right on their games to keep them out. Alexander will have to stand up tall for us aswell.

Either way I think all we really want to see is 11 players on the pitch in Rangers Blue fighting tooth and nail.

Carry our noise with the badge of honour on your breast. Give them hell at Tannadice.

Good piece by Lindsay Herron on the website.

(Apologies if a repost)

http://www.rangers.c...an-inspire-kids

Leeds 92 Can Inspire Kids

ALLY McCOIST’S young Rangers team will face its greatest challenge next Saturday when they run out at Tannadice and attempt to knock Dundee United out of the Scottish Cup.

The task of trying to defeat an SPL side is clearly a formidable one given the current strength of the squad in comparison to recent seasons in the top flight.

And, of course, there is the small matter of the ground being bereft of Rangers supporters.

It won’t quite be a cauldron of hate, to use a well-worn tabloid cliché, but it will certainly be a hostile and unusual environment.

Rangers’ decision not to take tickets for this fifth round tie has been universally backed by fans who, in normal circumstances, would be desperate to be there.

So the players will have to find support and strength from within themselves as they attempt to pull off what would be a Cup shock, to be quite honest.

No doubt there will be derision aimed at them from all sides of United’s odd and compact stadium.

Indeed, some jolly japesters among the United support are threatening to wear Craig Whyte masks – although quite how this will intimidate the Rangers players is unclear.

There will be some spiteful chanting, booing and jeering and maybe even some nasty stuff too – but, hey, that’s all part of football and has been for years.

That said, a lot of questions will be asked of the younger players, in particular, but they have indicated already this season that they have the mentality to thrive.

In many respects the pressure won’t be on Rangers. United are the top flight club and, indeed, won the competition two years ago.

They are at home with a full house of home fans – well, we’ll see if that actually happens – so the odds are decidedly stacked in their favour.

How sweet would it be for Ally McCoist, his coaching staff and players to firmly poke them in the eye and reach the quarter-finals?

By my reckoning, this will be only the second time that Rangers will have played a match without their fans attending since the infamous Battle of Britain with Leeds United in 1992.

Of course, they did play “behind closed doors” against Inter in 2005 but by definition there were no Inter supporters in the San Siro either.

They also faced Malmo in Sweden in 2011 with no supporters due to a UEFA ban but the match with Leeds was infinitely more initimidating.

Two of the key protagonists from that epic night at Elland Road when Walter Smith’s side qualified for the inaugural Champions League might just make mention of the events in the coming week.

Ally McCoist and Ian Durrant were pivotal players as Rangers defeated the English champions 2-1 at their own ground having recorded the same score line at Ibrox.

To prevent any potential crowd trouble each leg was only open to home supporters and despite leading from the first match, Rangers were given little hope of going past Leeds – especially by the English media.

Assistant boss Archie Knox pinned up derogatory newspaper articles on the dressing room wall which further inspired an already hugely determined Rangers team who went on to make a mockery of the comments.

Mark Hateley silenced the home fans with a looping shot in three minutes and set up McCoist for a superb diving header in a move also involving Durrant.

Winning at Tannadice next Saturday won’t quite have the same magnitude – but it would be rather nice.

just looking at that is depressing I would cry if that was the team.

If Ally is thinking defensively going into this game then I think he will do something like this. But we should be looking to expose Dundee Hib's defensive weaknesses.

Our main strength is our left hand side which I think is far more dangerous than any other in Scotland, the weakness lies on the righ both defensively and offensively and facing Mackay-Steven on this side it needs serious work done. United's defence isn't very mobile and would be a match for Temps and McKay to thrive and their three man midfield isn't fantastic but certainly solid so I think we would also need 3 men in the middle to match them.

Also think we have to remember players like Shiels, Black and Sandaza will have better experience against this opposition than the likes of MacLeod and McKay. Hopefully Hutton also puts in a battling performance like he did against Motherwell.

Anyone else think Ally might revert to 3-5-1-1 for this game with Jig set to return?

Alexander

Hegarty Perry Cribari

Little Black McCulloch Hutton Wallace

Templeton

Sandaza

3 at the back and McCulloch in midfield showing the path to pur goal could end up in disaster. Attack with pace on the wings with McKay and Templeton,leave the toothless Sandaza out and play McCulloch or Little through the middle and put that lot under extreme pressure.

3 at the back and McCulloch in midfield showing the path to pur goal could end up in disaster. Attack with pace on the wings with McKay and Templeton,leave the toothless Sandaza out and play McCulloch or Little through the middle and put that lot under extreme pressure.

Absolutely. We should apply maximum pressure to their back 4 and goalkeeper who are all dodgy. Pressing them high up the pitch should stop the likes of MacKay-Steven getting service. If Ally can get this game spot on tactically, then we will win.

This is how I'd set the team up -

Alexander

Argyriou(if fit) Perry Cribari Wallace

McKay Black Hutton Templeton

Jig Little

Not usually a fan of 4-4-2 but it's the way to go in this game IMO.

However we end up lining up on Saturday it is all going to come down to attitude and tempo...we start aggressively with a high tempo and take the game to them we can get a result. If we sit back, try to defend and continue with the laboured movement and passing of the last few weeks I think it will be a long day.

Would love to see us play with width and play argiou/McKay and Wallace/Templeton to get Russell and McKay Steven on the back foot.

I'm buoyed up for this one.

As I said in another thread, we're the underdogs and this is our cup final.

4-1, mark my words, we'll duff them up, football wise. I might not get the score quite right, but it will be an equivalent performance.

I'm buoyed up for this one.

As I said in another thread, we're the underdogs and this is our cup final.

4-1, mark my words, we'll duff them up, football wise. I might not get the score quite right, but it will be an equivalent performance.

Seen this with odds of 100/1. Worth a quid surely... :D