Will Your Anchor Hold?

Dan Dan Ey

Just seen on Bill McMurdo's fine blog that there are a number of bears lobbying to get the official hymn of the Boys Brigade 'We Have An Anchor (Will Your Anchor Hold)'. First I heard that people were lobbying for this song, and indeed, being born and raised in England the first I'd heard of this song. My dad was in the BBs and always spoke fondly of the organisation, and was probably why he made me go to Cubs, then scouts every Friday.

My question is, if we are to introduce new songs into our repotoire, do songs with such religious connotations have a place at Ibrox in this day and age? If we are to introduce a new song, does it need to have such ties to Protestant culture, given the success of 'Penny Arcade'?

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

cubs and scouts? CUBS AND FRIGGIN' SCOUTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Only steers and queers went there in my neck of the woods, Bo'ness (God's Country). And I say that as a holder of the Presidents Badge and rank of corporal in the 3rd Bo'ness Company section - I know my shit!

The hymn in question is that, a hymn. I have no qualms at all about it. A bit perturbed any Rangers man would, save any atheists on here but I'll pray for them anyway :wink:

This hymn is certainly a religious song but can't be classed a "Protestant" song. While it was sung by the BB's who were linked to the Church of Scotland, I can't belie that any other faith would take exception to it.

For those who were not in the BBs, here is the hymn:

Will your anchor hold in the storms of life,

When the clouds unfold their wings of strife?

When the strong tides lift, and the cables strain,

Will your anchor drift or firm remain?

We have an anchor that keeps the soul

Stedfast and sure while the billows roll,

Fastened to the Rock which cannot move,

Grounded firm and deep in the Savior's love.

It is safely moored, 'twill the storm withstand,

For 'tis well secured by the Savior's hand;

And the cables passed from His heart to mine,

Can defy the blast, through strength divine.

It will firmly hold in the straits of fear,

When the breakers have told the reef is near;

Though the tempest rave and the wild winds blow,

Not an angry wave shall our bark o'erflow.

It will surely hold in the floods of death,

When the waters cold chill our latest breath;

On the rising tide it can never fail,

While our hopes abide within the veil.

This hymn is certainly a religious song but can't be classed a "Protestant" song. While it was sung by the BB's who were linked to the Church of Scotland, I can't belie that any other faith would take exception to it.

For those who were not in the BBs, here is the hymn:

Will your anchor hold in the storms of life,

When the clouds unfold their wings of strife?

When the strong tides lift, and the cables strain,

Will your anchor drift or firm remain?

We have an anchor that keeps the soul

Stedfast and sure while the billows roll,

Fastened to the Rock which cannot move,

Grounded firm and deep in the Savior's love.

It is safely moored, 'twill the storm withstand,

For 'tis well secured by the Savior's hand;

And the cables passed from His heart to mine,

Can defy the blast, through strength divine.

It will firmly hold in the straits of fear,

When the breakers have told the reef is near;

Though the tempest rave and the wild winds blow,

Not an angry wave shall our bark o'erflow.

It will surely hold in the floods of death,

When the waters cold chill our latest breath;

On the rising tide it can never fail,

While our hopes abide within the veil.

Takes me back. Stedfast and Sure!

Just seen on Bill McMurdo's fine blog that there are a number of bears lobbying to get the official hymn of the Boys Brigade 'We Have An Anchor (Will Your Anchor Hold)'. First I heard that people were lobbying for this song, and indeed, being born and raised in England the first I'd heard of this song. My dad was in the BBs and always spoke fondly of the organisation, and was probably why he made me go to Cubs, then scouts every Friday.

My question is, if we are to introduce new songs into our repotoire, do songs with such religious connotations have a place at Ibrox in this day and age? If we are to introduce a new song, does it need to have such ties to Protestant culture, given the success of 'Penny Arcade'?

You smell like a pape.

Well, there's no BBs where I grew up anyway, and who the fuck would want to live in Bradford. Listen, I like the song, I'm just asking if people think it has a place.

For the record, Lord Baden-Powell's father was an Anglican reverend, had the Grand cross of the order of orange and my scout leader was a protestant minister from Belfast, and got me involved with the church for a bit - but aye, I'm a bead cus ah wiz in The scoots

Well, there's no BBs where I grew up anyway, and who the fuck would want to live in Bradford. Listen, I like the song, I'm just asking if people think it has a place.

For the record, Lord Baden-Powell's father was an Anglican reverend, had the Grand cross of the order of orange and my scout leader was a protestant minister from Belfast, and got me involved with the church for a bit - but aye, I'm a bead cus ah wiz in The scoots

doh:sherlock:

PS - Where were you brought up ?

7th Kilmarnock Loyal. Every single officer (bar one Killie fan) was a bear. I remember we even used to switch games nights between Tuesdays and Wednesdays depending on what night the champions league games were on. The gaffer's 1st minute header against Vladikavkaz away in '96 was one I remember listenin to on the wee wireless in the church kitchen. Must've been about 14 of us all crowded into a room about 5 by 4 feet. Utter bedlam when it went in.