Will Your Anchor Hold?

Dan Dan Ey

cubs and scouts? CUBS AND FRIGGIN' SCOUTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Only steers and queers went there in my neck of the woods, Bo'ness (God's Country). And I say that as a holder of the Presidents Badge and rank of corporal in the 3rd Bo'ness Company section - I know my shit!

The hymn in question is that, a hymn. I have no qualms at all about it. A bit perturbed any Rangers man would, save any atheists on here but I'll pray for them anyway :wink:

well, your last paragraph kind of gets to the point I was making, as an atheist myself. I've no problems with the song, but does it have a place when there are plenty other songs we could use. Looking back at the article, I think Bill's pressing for this to be used as our official hymn. Do we need an official hymn, as there's only one team in Glasgow founded on the basis of religion

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Time to phase out any religion, our club, unlike the bheasts from the east is not an enemy of facts.

Leave that shit to them

Disagree. Plenty clubs out there whose histroy is not steeped in that. We are not one of them.

well, your last paragraph kind of gets to the point I was making, as an atheist myself. I've no problems with the song, but does it have a place when there are plenty other songs we could use. Looking back at the article, I think Bill's pressing for this to be used as our official hymn. Do we need an official hymn, as there's only one team in Glasgow founded on the basis of religion

God is watching you.

As a very PROUD former BB member I always LOVED singing this at church and at parades. The video that goes with the youtube link is a belter.. Just think the images go by too quickly.. But im ALL FOR THIS being belted out before games with the images(slowed down) to accompany it on our NEW SCREENS!!??..hardhat on!!.

Just seen on Bill McMurdo's fine blog that there are a number of bears lobbying to get the official hymn of the Boys Brigade 'We Have An Anchor (Will Your Anchor Hold)'. First I heard that people were lobbying for this song, and indeed, being born and raised in England the first I'd heard of this song. My dad was in the BBs and always spoke fondly of the organisation, and was probably why he made me go to Cubs, then scouts every Friday.

My question is, if we are to introduce new songs into our repotoire, do songs with such religious connotations have a place at Ibrox in this day and age? If we are to introduce a new song, does it need to have such ties to Protestant culture, given the success of 'Penny Arcade'?

Can I seek clarification here?

Was your Dad in the BBs or the BB?

I was in the BB (singular, not the plural).

I'm away down memory lane with this thread I used to love the lifeboys/bb, used to feel proud as punch when we went on parade

spick and span marching through the streets with loads of folk turning out to watch. Its a real shame numbers have dwindled as

kids are missing out on a lot good times.

brings back some briliant memories, loved the BB as a teenager, 1st Ayr. friday night routine was watching monkey while taking the brasso to my belt, thinking back the Captain of our BB was one of lifes uncelebrated heroes, Bill Johnston was his name, certainly taught us loads of things that have stayed with me for life.

the atheist rangersfans will hate this song.they dont hide the fact that they want to rid this club of its history.

i would remind them that we are more than just a club for a reason.

theres a reason that stornoway and the islands rangers supporters club is the biggest of them all and its because of the faith they have and the history of rangers and the things we stand for.its not because its their local team.we are the people. the enemies are foreign and domestic.take away protestantism and were left with just a club.

watp.