Will Your Anchor Hold?

Dan Dan Ey

Just seen on Bill McMurdo's fine blog that there are a number of bears lobbying to get the official hymn of the Boys Brigade 'We Have An Anchor (Will Your Anchor Hold)'. First I heard that people were lobbying for this song, and indeed, being born and raised in England the first I'd heard of this song. My dad was in the BBs and always spoke fondly of the organisation, and was probably why he made me go to Cubs, then scouts every Friday.

My question is, if we are to introduce new songs into our repotoire, do songs with such religious connotations have a place at Ibrox in this day and age? If we are to introduce a new song, does it need to have such ties to Protestant culture, given the success of 'Penny Arcade'?

Penny Arcade is about killing catholics, at a penny arcade..

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Look lads, lets give all the athiest v proddy stuff the boot. This is simple - do you like the song and the substance behind it.

Listen to this and the video and ask yourself has this the makings of a great new anthem for us.

My opinion is a resounding yes and I think Bill McMurdo, supporters groups and the club DJ promote this ASAP.

Amongst many many predictions, the Old Testament predicted the New Testament. And if you are aware, you need to be far more aware than what you currently are.

Im aware that the books were both written after the events they purport to describe /forecast had content edited and further to that were open to interpretation during translation. And even what it is claimed they forecast and contain is an interpretation, much like many books.

Im aware that the books were both written after the events they purport to describe /forecast had content edited and further to that were open to interpretation during translation. And even what it is claimed they forecast and contain is an interpretation, much like many books.

Hence why it is an exercise of faith or belief.

I'll give you a wee excercise to improve your awareness. King David, after losing his friend, cursed mount gilboa from bearing any vegetation or route 3,000 years ago. By the finest attempts of the present Israeli government to reforest the region, no tree or vegetation is apparent on that plateau.

Unfortunately holywood was not around and there are no movies available - but what was written 3,000 years ago is apparent today.

Penny Arcade is about killing catholics, at a penny arcade..

Where would you get that statement from:

A light shone in the night somewhere ahead

Blue turned into green, then it was red.

And, stirring the night, loud music played

The light I saw in the night was a penny arcade.

“Step up and play”, each machine seemed to say

as I walked round and round the penny arcade.

“Just ring the bell on the big bagatelle

and you’ll make all the coloured lights cascade”.

And music played in the penny arcade.

Yes, it played and it played, played all the time

“Roll up and spend your last dime!”

At first I thought it a dream that I was in.

Lost , lost in a sea of glass and tin.

But no, so dipping my hand in the back of my jeans,

I grabbed a handful of coins to feed the machines.

“Roll up and spend your last dime!”

I'll give you a wee excercise to improve your awareness. King David, after losing his friend, cursed mount gilboa from bearing any vegetation or route 3,000 years ago. By the finest attempts of the present Israeli government to reforest the region, no tree or vegetation is apparent on that plateau.

Unfortunately holywood was not around and there are no movies available - but what was written 3,000 years ago is apparent today.

They do have a vested interest for it not to succeed, although there are certain places that some things just won't grow, nothing to do with curses

Simple question, does the Bible predict the future? Im dont recall anything in it that does.

the bible is about a quarter prophecy.the biblical prophecy gets it spot on every time. among many others the bible foretells that the nation of Israel will rise again and its people who were scattered into all the world would unite again in Israel and be surrounded by their enemies and become a burden-stone to all the world.sound familiar? that was predicted 2000 years ago.the jews have been out of israel for 2000 years yet they kept all their traditions and religious practices exactly as they were.the bible foretells a coming one world government where no one will be able to buy or sell without taking a mark upon themselves. verichip anyone? i will give you one quote from scripture because i dont want to hijack the thread (again) you can decide whether this 2000 year old prophecy has come true and if you want more then come to the bible thread.its not just revelation thats prophecy but many books.

Matthew 24:3-8

New International Version (NIV)

3 As Jesus was sitting on the Mount of Olives, the disciples came to him privately. “Tell us,” they said, “when will this happen, and what will be the sign of your coming and of the end of the age?”

4 Jesus answered: “Watch out that no one deceives you. 5 For many will come in my name, claiming, ‘I am the Messiah,’ and will deceive many. 6 You will hear of wars and rumors of wars, but see to it that you are not alarmed. Such things must happen, but the end is still to come. 7 Nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom. There will be famines and earthquakes in various places. 8 All these are the beginning of birth pains.

this was written 2000 years ago.if there was peace on earth and no more earthquakes or famine then we could say the bible got it wrong.there isnt. theres an increase in wars and famines and earthquakes like never seen before. thats pretty spot on.

anyway im all for the song "will your anchor hold"

apologies for the off topic.

Cubs and Scouts was for the romans , well in Kinning Park/Ibrox

proddies in the Lifeboys in Springburn, Ed.

wis in the Lifeboys, and couldnae wait to play on the BB fitba team.

so disappointed when we moved to a far off foreign land - bishopbriggs, and wis put in the cubs.

5 minutes in the door and a sixer who didnae fancy ma Rangers socks started orderin' me around left, right and centre - gubbed the cunt and was banned from the cubs and the scouts.

ah've still goat fuckin trauma over my Lifeboy signal flag performance in front of the parents in the Johnson St. Church Hall -

the ol' man with his head in his hands and ma maw so proud that, of all the Lifeboys, i was the only one getting the signals right. :)

Guest Andypendek

It's a great tune. 2nd Johnstone BB myself.

But I would be very very uncomfortable using the word 'saviour' at a football ground. Not just because I have no time for religion, but because what remains of my upbringing in the Church suggests it's out of place in the context: how come 'we' have an anchor, any more than East Fife fans? Seems a little bit lacking in fellowship to my ears.

Also, given the decimated attendances in Kirk these days (last week in Johnstone would have seen, apparently, around 9 worshippers were it not for a Christening which saw an influx of unusual faces), I think it would be verging of the blasphemous for 40,000 of us to sing it out when, plainly, 40,000 of our are not heading to Church the next morning.

Equally, I would be massively uncomfortable taking our the word 'saviour' and putting in something like 'The Rangers' because, even though I give it no credence, it seems a little bit disrespectful to a hymn. That might not bother some but it would me.

So many reasons not to and the only reason 'for' is that it's a good tune. This doesn't add up for me.

But I would be very very uncomfortable using the word 'saviour' at a football ground. Not just because I have no time for religion, but because what remains of my upbringing in the Church suggests it's out of place in the context: how come 'we' have an anchor, any more than East Fife fans? Seems a little bit lacking in fellowship to my ears.

Also, given the decimated attendances in Kirk these days (last week in Johnstone would have seen, apparently, around 9 worshippers were it not for a Christening which saw an influx of unusual faces), I think it would be verging of the blasphemous for 40,000 of us to sing it out when, plainly, 40,000 of our are not heading to Church the next morning.

Equally, I would be massively uncomfortable taking our the word 'saviour' and putting in something like 'The Rangers' because, even though I give it no credence, it seems a little bit disrespectful to a hymn. That might not bother some but it would me.

So many reasons not to and the only reason 'for' is that it's a good tune. This doesn't add up for me.

Hear what your saying Andy. But the lyrics can be interpreted how you want. I'm not religious, I respect people who have faith but its not for me. I like the words and tune because it perfectly sums up what the relationship was between the club and the fans over the last year. I draw no religious conotation from it whatsoever.

Mibee it's not just that 40,000 peeps are failing the CoS.

Would you not agree though Andy that such a song would be far more representative of our Protestant heritage than some of the stuff which is trotted out from time to time ?

the bible is about a quarter prophecy.the biblical prophecy gets it spot on every time. among many others the bible foretells that the nation of Israel will rise again and its people who were scattered into all the world would unite again in Israel and be surrounded by their enemies and become a burden-stone to all the world.sound familiar? that was predicted 2000 years ago.the jews have been out of israel for 2000 years yet they kept all their traditions and religious practices exactly as they were.the bible foretells a coming one world government where no one will be able to buy or sell without taking a mark upon themselves. verichip anyone? i will give you one quote from scripture because i dont want to hijack the thread (again) you can decide whether this 2000 year old prophecy has come true and if you want more then come to the bible thread.its not just revelation thats prophecy but many books.

Matthew 24:3-8

New International Version (NIV)

3 As Jesus was sitting on the Mount of Olives, the disciples came to him privately. “Tell us,” they said, “when will this happen, and what will be the sign of your coming and of the end of the age?”

4 Jesus answered: “Watch out that no one deceives you. 5 For many will come in my name, claiming, ‘I am the Messiah,’ and will deceive many. 6 You will hear of wars and rumors of wars, but see to it that you are not alarmed. Such things must happen, but the end is still to come. 7 Nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom. There will be famines and earthquakes in various places. 8 All these are the beginning of birth pains.

this was written 2000 years ago.if there was peace on earth and no more earthquakes or famine then we could say the bible got it wrong.there isnt. theres an increase in wars and famines and earthquakes like never seen before. thats pretty spot on.

anyway im all for the song "will your anchor hold"

apologies for the off topic.

If it works for you thats fine, It doesnt work for me as I said its interpretation, just as Nostradamus is. And I dont believe that either thats my faith. But we are talking about a hymn being used at a football match,not theology, but to use the song as a clarion anthem on match days ? Perhaps Ive misunderstood but I would have thought that those who professed faith would want to keep such things as an expression of faith rather than a football ground chant.

If it works for you thats fine, It doesnt work for me as I said its interpretation, just as Nostradamus is. And I dont believe that either thats my faith. But we are talking about a hymn being used at a football match,not theology, but to use the song as a clarion anthem on match days ? Perhaps Ive misunderstood but I would have thought that those who professed faith would want to keep such things as an expression of faith rather than a football ground chant.

I would think this would be addressed by the instruction from 2 Timothy...

Preach the Word; be prepared in season and out of season