Will Your Anchor Hold?

Dan Dan Ey

I was responding to your concern that a football ground might not be viewed as a favourable outlet for such expression.

As someone of faith, and one of the most vocal about it on Gers message boards, If you dont think similar minded folk would be offended then you are better placed to judge than me.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All i hear from some people that they do not believe in religion. Some of my pals who are no longer here were of the same view, until they were ill and dying. It was then they did start to believe in God as it was the only comfort left, and gave them hope that there was something after death.

As someone of faith, and one of the most vocal about it on Gers message boards, If you dont think similar minded folk would be offended then you are better placed to judge than me.

There are considerable considerations Bertent to this whole debate.

I think the words of this hymn are of particular relevance to what we have experienced as a club and a support these last few months. I also think its far more reflective of the Protestant heritage/culture which characterises our club, than some of the current song repertoire which I think might suggest a Protestant "default position" but in actual fact are the domain of others.

GSTQ - Pro Monarchy

The Sash/Derry's Walls - Loyalist

Rule Britannia - Unionist

I honestly cannot see anyone of faith having issues with this song being sung - in fact I think they would welcome it's introduction.

proddies in the Lifeboys in Springburn, Ed.

wis in the Lifeboys, and couldnae wait to play on the BB fitba team.

so disappointed when we moved to a far off foreign land - bishopbriggs, and wis put in the cubs.

5 minutes in the door and a sixer who didnae fancy ma Rangers socks started orderin' me around left, right and centre - gubbed the cunt and was banned from the cubs and the scouts.

ah've still goat fuckin trauma over my Lifeboy signal flag performance in front of the parents in the Johnson St. Church Hall -

the ol' man with his head in his hands and ma maw so proud that, of all the Lifeboys, i was the only one getting the signals right. :)

My son was in the BB at Kenmure Church.

Guest Andypendek

Hear what your saying Andy. But the lyrics can be interpreted how you want. I'm not religious, I respect people who have faith but its not for me. I like the words and tune because it perfectly sums up what the relationship was between the club and the fans over the last year. I draw no religious conotation from it whatsoever.

'Grounded firm and deep in the Saviour's love'? What on earth is that if not religious?

Would you not agree though Andy that such a song would be far more representative of our Protestant heritage than some of the stuff which is trotted out from time to time ?

Yes, and fairly uncontroversial if these was a desire to emphasise that heritage. As you know, I don't share that desire and, however it be decried as intolerance, actually wish to downplay it as much as possible. I know you have read Buchan - 'Witch Wood' shows us intolerance and bigotry is/was not the sole preserve of other churches.

I would think this would be addressed by the instruction from 2 Timothy...

Difficult to take any lessons from anyone called Timothy, in all honesty!

All i hear from some people that they do not believe in religion. Some of my pals who are no longer here were of the same view, until they were ill and dying. It was then they did start to believe in God as it was the only comfort left, and gave them hope that there was something after death.

Does nothing for me, Minstral. Near on 5,000 years of recorded human activity in the spiritual sphere and not one iota of proof that there's anything to it more than an individual's desire to believe.

'Grounded firm and deep in the Saviour's love'? What on earth is that if not religious?

Yes, and fairly uncontroversial if these was a desire to emphasise that heritage. As you know, I don't share that desire and, however it be decried as intolerance, actually wish to downplay it as much as possible. I know you have read Buchan - 'Witch Wood' shows us intolerance and bigotry is/was not the sole preserve of other churches.

Difficult to take any lessons from anyone called Timothy, in all honesty!

Does nothing for me, Minstral. Near on 5,000 years of recorded human activity in the spiritual sphere and not one iota of proof that there's anything to it more than an individual's desire to believe.

Andy lots of people get great comfort from religion when they are struggling with a loss of a loved one.

Andy lots of people get great comfort from religion when they are struggling with a loss of a loved one.

M. no disagreement there and if that gets people through tough times who is anyone to criticize. Personally a bottle of single malt works for me. But to each their own.

As another Bear mentioned earlier there is a plethora of old Rangers songs from Wolverhampton Town to Willie Woodburn to How Can you Buy WW...... right through to some more contemporary numbers.

We could even get The Boss on board with his "We Take Care of Our Own" number.

Sorry but Happy Clappy tunes at football --- not for this Bear.

M. no disagreement there and if that gets people through tough times who is anyone to criticize. Personally a bottle of single malt works for me. But to each their own.

As another Bear mentioned earlier there is a plethora of old Rangers songs from Wolverhampton Town to Willie Woodburn to How Can you Buy WW...... right through to some more contemporary numbers.

We could even get The Boss on board with his "We Take Care of Our Own" number.

Sorry but Happy Clappy tunes at football --- not for this Bear.

(tu) Well said. Couldn't agree more.

Agnostic myself, I'll leave the arrogance of certainty to those with faith and those without.

funnily enough what the BB taught me was that strength, determination and belief in what can be achieved came from within rather from some comsic deity.

for me it was football, hillwaking , camping, abseiling canoeing and drill, won a bible for being best on parade but dont recall ever getting preached to. As I said earlier in thread the things I learned about myself while stamping about the new galloway hills with massive blisters have stayed with me for life - but none of them were religious.

I could quite happily sing this at ibrox as an act of spurring the Gers on while still acknowledging the hymn to what it means to me being a Christian. Im thankfull to God that we have football to enjoy. I know lots of bears dont believe in my views but its not going to isolate me from them when we are all cheering on Rangers is it?

Its when people get so up in arms that they wouldnt sing a song about strength just because it refers to a saviour they dont beleive in that puzzles me.

Sing it loud and proud. If you dont beleive that Jesus is the saviour then it shouldnt faze you as you dont beleive you need one. The same reason as you dont suddenly slap on a snorkel when the blue sea of ibrox come on.

If your a beleiver enjoy it for more than what it means to rangers. If you dont then enjoy it for what it is - relevant to our circumstances. If your offended by it then ask why something that you dont believe is affecting you in the slightest

Dear Fellow Bears, I despair at times at our inability to reach agreement on matters such as this one! I entirely agree with the previous post. Whatever your beliefs may be, we are the club of the Defenders of the Faith, whether you happen to "believe or not". I personally have a belief and faith in God, which although not strong, it's still there. Many of the songs we sing are in memory of our late brothers who also fought and died to defend that Faith. If we cannot sing a hymn like, "Will Your Anchor Hold" then why would we sing anything else that celebrates our past endeavours to defend our faith! Get a grip and get behind this idea......this is what separates us from the them!

Guest Andypendek

I could quite happily sing this at ibrox as an act of spurring the Gers on while still acknowledging the hymn to what it means to me being a Christian. Im thankfull to God that we have football to enjoy. I know lots of bears dont believe in my views but its not going to isolate me from them when we are all cheering on Rangers is it?

Its when people get so up in arms that they wouldnt sing a song about strength just because it refers to a saviour they dont beleive in that puzzles me.

Sing it loud and proud. If you dont beleive that Jesus is the saviour then it shouldnt faze you as you dont beleive you need one. The same reason as you dont suddenly slap on a snorkel when the blue sea of ibrox come on.

If your a beleiver enjoy it for more than what it means to rangers. If you dont then enjoy it for what it is - relevant to our circumstances. If your offended by it then ask why something that you dont believe is affecting you in the slightest

Jesus is in no way relevant to my or Rangers circumstances.

The Blue Sea of Ibrox is not a real sea and I'm uncomfortable with the comparison, which suggests that we're not singing about a real Jesus. Disrespectful. You either praise a Lord you believe in or you don't; you don't briefly adopt Him for two minutes for a good old sing song up the fitba and then forget all about it.

Although not offended - I am disagreeing, quite a different thing - having asked myself your question, I find the answer is that it is disrespectful, inappropriate, divisive and retrograde.

Dear Fellow Bears, I despair at times at our inability to reach agreement on matters such as this one! I entirely agree with the previous post. Whatever your beliefs may be, we are the club of the Defenders of the Faith, whether you happen to "believe or not". I personally have a belief and faith in God, which although not strong, it's still there. Many of the songs we sing are in memory of our late brothers who also fought and died to defend that Faith. If we cannot sing a hymn like, "Will Your Anchor Hold" then why would we sing anything else that celebrates our past endeavours to defend our faith! Get a grip and get behind this idea......this is what separates us from the them!

Aye, right enough, that's a nice compromise approach. In all truth I would say that the responses from those of no faith have been quite polite when faced with rubbish like that.

I've been surprised at the reaction this post has brought. I'm beginning to wonder if the religious aspect is shadowing the fact that its a great tune. Theres been a few songs that I have chosen not to sing at games, but that's been my choice.

I've been surprised at the reaction this post has brought. I'm beginning to wonder if the religious aspect is shadowing the fact that its a great tune. Theres been a few songs that I have chosen not to sing at games, but that's been my choice.

EXACTLY!

I'm not religious but I think this song is so relevant to the experiences all rangers' supporters have felt over the last year.

Get this song on the tannoy at Ibrox