A look into our improved performances - Clyde analysis

bluenose_72

Hopefully the performances against Queens Park and Clyde are a sign of things to come!

After the second half performance against Queens Park last week, the message from Ally McCoist would have been ‘more of the same please’ and that is exactly what he got. Three first half goals from Andy Little (2) and David Templeton allowed Rangers to take their foot off the gas in the second half to run out eventual 4-1 winners.

Early Pressure

Slow starts have been a recurring theme this season. All too often we allow the opposition to get comfortable in their defensive shape early on and we (at times) struggle to break them down. This was not the case today as the forward players and midfield pressed Clyde high up the pitch, not allowing them to get comfortable or even keep hold of the ball for any significant length of time. Rangers capitalised on this by scoring in the first ten minutes after some good play from Dean Shiels to play in Andy Little who doesn’t seem to miss many when he is on form.

Little – Shiels Partnership

Dean Shiels has been criticised over the past couple months for going missing in games and not getting involved. While I agree with this to a certain extent, I think he was a victim of the position he was playing in. He was playing in that role behind the lone frontman, a role that many teams across Europe have very creative players in. But with creative players you need to get them on the ball. For a lot of the time during the past couple of months we have been using the long ball to completely bypass the midfield or we have built attacks down the wings, primarily the left hand side. This was making it very difficult for Shiels to get involved, although he could have been doing more to get himself into games.

But now we are seeing him begin to develop what looks like a very promising partnership with Andy Little. They seem to understand each other well. Little’s movement gives Shiels more options for a pass, which we saw today with the first goal. He has been used to playing with a target man up front, but we are now seeing how Shiels is a lot better getting the ball into feet and having a more mobile striker alongside him.

The 4-2-3-1

The 4-2-3-1 formation is one that on paper looks like the ideal formation for us to use. It suits the players we have. But up until the second half against Queens Park, we hadn’t seen Ally use it to its full effectiveness. Before last week we had rarely seen the 2 central midfielders venture forward. We don’t need holding midfielders when we expect to have the majority of possession; we need them pressing forward to offer an extra option in attack. When teams are sitting in and playing everyone behind the ball it is hard to play your way through if the player on the ball has no options for a pass.

I also like the three behind the striker to play within the width of the 18 yard box. This allows the full backs to get forward and provide another extra problem for the opposition defence. The more players you have in the forward areas, the more you will be able to drag the opposition out of position to create space. With Argyriou back in the team we are starting to see this. If he was to improve his crossing, I don’t see how Ally could ever select Sebastien Faure ahead of him. If Ally continues to play this way once MacLeod is back in the team we should start to see the very best from a player who was already impressing.

This was all evident today against Clyde, especially in the first half. We saw how much space Templeton was getting when he had Wallace constantly overlapping. The defenders didn’t know who to try and stop. While we struggle with injuries it looks like this will be our team. With performances like today we will have the league wrapped up in no time.

Settled Defence?

Our defence this season has been poor to say the least. The Perry/Cribari partnership has had the most playing time, but it looks like the Hegarty/Cribari partnership could be the best one we have. Despite poor defending for Clyde’s goal, they coasted through most of the game. Hegarty reads the game really well, an attribute that Davie Weir had in abundance. If he keeps improving then I don’t see how Ross Perry can just walk back into the team. In my opinion, this is the back four we will see for the remainder of the season if we don’t get anymore injuries.

It is always a bonus these days when you get a good result and a good performance. Too often this season we have seen a decent result but a poor performance. But after today and last week, let’s hope this becomes something we see week in week out.

http://www.rangersmedia.co.uk/?p=60

Alot of good points that have been raised on here for weeks....the fact we have players playing in their right positions does make a difference and the addition of a natural right back and natural width has made a significant contribution.

The test for ally will be looking to maintain this level of performance once he has a full squad to choose from. Picking the right players (not necessarily the best players in his eyes at least) is vitally important!

How did arg...argy...fuck it; the RB play?

He was great, his passing is still poor but overall he had an excellent game.

I agree with pretty much everything OP said but I fear once the likes of Lee McCulloch, Francisco Sandaza, Kevin Kyle, Lewis MacLeod, Ross Perry etc... are back ft again then we will revert back to previous team selections with Little wide right to accomodate McCulloch and McKay dropping out, Hegarty RB to accomodate Perry and Argyriou dropping out, MacLeod to CM replacing Hutton to fit Ian Black in the team. So ironically the injuries have actually really helped us I just hope that Ally has the balls to do the right thing and pick players based on merit not on experience.

Alot of good points that have been raised on here for weeks....the fact we have players playing in their right positions does make a difference and the addition of a natural right back and natural width has made a significant contribution.

The test for ally will be looking to maintain this level of performance once he has a full squad to choose from. Picking the right players (not necessarily the best players in his eyes at least) is vitally important!

your last sentence just made me lol !

your last sentence just made me lol !

Made you lol? You are in your fifties mate...you really are quite embarrassing at times...the point is valid in as much as ally has chosen the players he deems to be the best 11 players at times this year and shoehorned them into the team which distrupts the fluency of the team and there has been a noticeable improvement since we started playing players in their right positions....if you don't have a point to make why even reply? Pathetic!

Long term you are probably right but at the moment he is our best option at right back and does make a difference when he plays.

I dropped the long term view after both the ICT and DU games.

It's alright saying we only need so and so to get us through Div 3, Div 2 etc.

I have two reservations about that attitude however. Firstly, if at least 38,000 ST holders renew next year aren't we entitled to a far better standard of player? Secondly, what if we draw the rhats in the cup? That back 4 at the big tin hut would scare the life out of me! Wallace excepted of course.

I dropped the long term view after both the ICT and DU games.

It's alright saying we only need so and so to get us through Div 3, Div 2 etc.

I have two reservations about that attitude however. Firstly, if at least 38,000 ST holders renew next year aren't we entitled to a far better standard of player? Secondly, what if we draw the rhats in the cup? That back 4 at the big tin hut would scare the life out of me! Wallace excepted of course.

I do agree with you and although the tune has been changed recently at the start of the season ally did say he was building a team to challenge in the cups re black, sheils etc. I do think however the majority of season ticket holders would be happy to see us bring through our own players in this hiatus from the top flight. Having the second biggest wage bill in Scotland does make the assumption though that we should be able to win a cup or two in that time.

Re argiriou, I actually think he has the capability to improve. His crossing and passing are quite poor and his positioning (defensively) needs work but those are things you can work on...unlike perry or hegarty he is a natural right back, he does have a great attitude and engine and he is reasonably quick and agile...I think with the right training he could be a player capable of playing in the SPL so I wouldn't right him off just yet.

IMO argy has made a massive difference. We have a rb who is actually a rb playing. The balance is there and with, McKay, shiels, little and temps movement causing the defences all sorts of problems and none of them remaining static then we have far too much power for these sides.

IMO argy has made a massive difference. We have a rb who is actually a rb playing. The balance is there and with, McKay, shiels, little and temps movement causing the defences all sorts of problems and none of them remaining static then we have far too much power for these sides.

Its radical and not thought of a lot, but playing guys in their correct positions might just be the way forward. :dry:

Good points in OP. (tu) The Shiels & Little partnership is looking very promising, they certainly compliment each others movement well. The 4-2-3-1 has received plenty of stick on here but it is the modern football formation and suits our squad at the moment.

I do find it slightly annoying that Ally gets minimal credit for the teams good performances, besides the condescending calls of "well done for picking players in their natural positions now keep it up."

Good points in OP. (tu) The Shiels & Little partnership is looking very promising, they certainly compliment each others movement well. The 4-2-3-1 has received plenty of stick on here but it is the modern football formation and suits our squad at the moment.

I do find it slightly annoying that Ally gets minimal credit for the teams good performances, besides the condescending calls of "well done for picking players in their natural positions now keep it up."

Its slightly annoying when players are played in positions they are not used to or not comfortable with and we end up dropping points and playing dross.

The problem is al he wasn't doing that until injuries forced his hand and that has coincided with a noticeably improved performance over the past two games. When everyone is fit will be the time to praise ally if he can get the same or improved level of performance from the team. My concern and that of others is that when perry and Sandaza are fit they will be brought back in regardless and will affect the balance of the team (right hand side) that was so painstakingly obvious before.

Its slightly annoying when players are played in positions they are not used to or not comfortable with and we end up dropping points and playing dross.

I trust Ally's judgements on the players he sees training near enough everyday over my own or others on an internet forum.

The problem is al he wasn't doing that until injuries forced his hand and that has coincided with a noticeably improved performance over the past two games. When everyone is fit will be the time to praise ally if he can get the same or improved level of performance from the team. My concern and that of others is that when perry and Sandaza are fit they will be brought back in regardless and will affect the balance of the team (right hand side) that was so painstakingly obvious before.

I like to think the improved performances were down to me starting the Official Match Threads for those two games. I don't believe in coincidences.

Oops, humour. :blush:

I'm a big fan of the 4-2-3-1 so I'm glad Ally is now using it to its full effect like I said in the OP. Although I didn't mention this in the article, I think the 3 behind Little should interchange a bit more. McKay didn't have a great game so I'd like to have seen him either move to the left or into the centre to see if he had better luck there.

I trust Ally's judgements on the players he sees training near enough everyday over my own or others on an internet forum.

I like to think the improved performances were down to me starting the Official Match Threads for those two games. I don't believe in coincidences.

Oops, humour. :blush:

Fair enough point. But what did you think of Allys tactic of playing Faure at RB in the cup at tannadice while up against McKay-Steven, when our best RB wasn't even in the squad although fit?

Bet you said same as everyone I watched the game with......."WTF"!