Lies, Damned Lies And MP3s

billmcmurdo

Bill, I just posted my comments (below) on your article.

Bill, well done to you and Shane for doing the interview.

Now I don’t know what is in the second part of the interview but this man should really be taking to task about mocking the Ibrox disaster (as we all know that he knew the significance of the Greig statue beforehand) and his ‘greatest sporting scandal’ hyberbole. I hope that you don’t do the legions of Rangers fans a dis-service by not grilling this man enough on these issues.

For the record, I think he is a lying anti-Rangers scumbag troll.

He used the phrase "the biggest cheats in sporting history". What was he referring to? I believe it must have been the use of second contracts, dual contracts, side letters, etc Or, EBT's.

So if that is the case, he has pre-judged us, just the same as the rest of the pack pre-judged us over EBT's. To be a good liar, you need to have a good memory. It appears Thomson has a poor memory.

You would have been better speaking to the talking clock that tell you the time. At least that speaks the truth and does not lie.

I once worked with a guy back in the early 80s who refused to phone the speaking clock because it was called Tim :-)) Same guy would never eat Pacers. My kind of guy ;-)

That's the point

If he is lying - why?

It can only really be a climb-down

Which is a victory for fan pressure

wr can only wait and see when his next blog comes out.

we are the only story but he only hits it from the one side rangers wrong doing. he should use his skills to look at the full circle... lbg...d&p...hmrc... but no lets concentrate on rangers cheating.

These are some quotes from thomson's blog regarding the start of Nimmo's investigation.

Do you think this is a man with the Rangers fans good at heart? look how many times he uses the word cheating, he completely disregards the fact that EBT's are legal and judged to be legal, remain legal, until judged othewise whenever that may be.

Bill could have pressed him on these comments alone and the whole tone of his Blogs putting the club in a negative light

Low-key stuff for the stadium setting for a decision at last on what may – or may not – be the biggest cheating scandal in UK football history and, if a guilty decision is returned, beyond question one of the biggest cheating scandals in the history of British sport.

At issue, did the old (pre-liquidation) Rangers FC fail to tell the football authorities all about the money it was paying players as part of an elaborate tax avoidance scheme – a scheme which may yet be found to be illegal if HMRC wins its appeal?

This would clearly involve a massive and unprecedented re-writing of club history, re-engraving of a lot of silverware, and Rangers would be saddled with the reputation of being the biggest cheats in football history – in sporting history.

The positive note for fans of Rangers and others, is that the first part of the process is simple and self-contained. The trio of the learned simply hear the arguments and submissions. They go away. They ponder. They judge. They punish. It is the Nimmo Smith independent commission which hands down sanctions upon the old club.

Is that today, minstral?

Other days it's "Great blog" and "Well done"

That just makes you two-faced in my opinion - at worst

Or just double-minded at best

Either way, it devalues your opinion

Sorry Bill but it seems to me you were far too soft on him.

"Why did you re-tweet the offensive video with the Ibrox Memorial then deny that you understood the significance - knowing you had already done a report on it?" - that would have been question number one and it remains the biggest single stain on his name.

Secondly, if he knew (and he confirms this) that Phil Gobbldeygook's book was written on the back of hatred and hatredalone, why associate himself with it?

And finally, does he not feel a bit pompous and self-important strolling across the border telling the Scottish press how lousy they are and that HE'LL show them how it is done?

I appreciate the job you did in pinning him down but he got off lightly.

Sorry, Bill.

I always thought that AT jumped on the band wagon of the Rangers story because we are the biggest club in Scotland and it was an opportunity to raise his profile (only as good as your last job). He used exaggerated language and claims to get his story sold to the public. He will not admit the major howlers as they diminish from his reputation; I think that he will not bring up his involvement with Phil three names as an example as it makes him look stupid. And he will try to find some explanation that sounds plausible to explain away the more silly pontifications, not lies but a blend of waffle to make him look better if things like Phil three names are brought up. Once he had embarked on a particular line he found it to difficult to reverse this as his vanity and ego made this an investment of credibility from his point of view. When he has to admit some of the points he got wrong he will minimise his involvement or activity in these.

He appeared to make a fundamental mistake by not checking out the claims and counter claims and how they stack up against facts (poor journalism in my opinion). He dealt in rumour and speculation, as these were more savoury for who he perceived would read his outpourings. This has shown him up as a poor journalist, someone who is suckered into the agenda of others and as a reporter he is not worth reading as you can not trust that he has the story right or is instead presenting speculation as facts.

I always thought that AT jumped on the band wagon of the Rangers story because we are the biggest club in Scotland and it was an opportunity to raise his profile (only as good as your last job). He used exaggerated language and claims to get his story sold to the public. He will not admit the major howlers as they diminish from his reputation; I think that he will not bring up his involvement with Phil three names as an example as it makes him look stupid. And he will try to find some explanation that sounds plausible to explain away the more silly pontifications, not lies but a blend of waffle to make him look better if things like Phil three names are brought up. Once he had embarked on a particular line he found it to difficult to reverse this as his vanity and ego made this an investment of credibility from his point of view. When he has to admit some of the points he got wrong he will minimise his involvement or activity in these.

He appeared to make a fundamental mistake by not checking out the claims and counter claims and how they stack up against facts (poor journalism in my opinion). He dealt in rumour and speculation, as these were more savoury for who he perceived would read his outpourings. This has shown him up as a poor journalist, someone who is suckered into the agenda of others and as a reporter he is not worth reading as you can not trust that he has the story right or is instead presenting speculation as facts.

Spot on. (tu)

He can't even afford to quietly drop it and is still pandering to his chosen audience whilst back-tracking to try to sound reasonable,and then denying that contradiction has occurred. A journalist who cares little for and makes not effort to establish the truth is no journalist. He's an entertainer- a showman playing to the gallery.

Personally, I would have like to see him questioned over his use of the phrase that we might be "the biggest cheats in sporting history".

I found that remark by him to be totally unacceptable. Did you ask it or can you go back and question him over it, at this point?

sticks in my throat that. Marseille,juventus ac Milan,, the Pakistani cricketers, lance Armstrong, Dwayne chambers. After all they did and to compare that with legal tax avoidance law only panders to one set of people.

He is not being impartial enough in the public eye. He said some decent stuff to bill on the interview,but thats behind closed doors. In public this cunt rubbishes the good name of RFC and it's loyal fans for a few hits on his blog spot.

A self interested wanker and I'll never think any different

sticks in my throat that. Marseille,juventus ac Milan,, the Pakistani cricketers, lance Armstrong, Dwayne chambers. After all they did and to compare that with legal tax avoidance law only panders to one set of people.

He is not being impartial enough in the public eye. He said some decent stuff to bill on the interview,but thats behind closed doors. In public this cunt rubbishes the good name of RFC and it's loyal fans for a few hits on his blog spot.

A self interested wanker and I'll never think any different

Absolutely mate. I'm surprised he hasn't been questioned for it at C4/ITN. He is now a bad stain on their image.

he will always be known as the puppet of the bigoted one. so anything he says in the future will be instantly dissmissed by me whether its on the only big draw in scotland or any war or other stuff he alledgedly covers. the man is a looser

So many things wrong with the article I would end up going on forever.

"The problem with Alex Thomson is he doesn't fit the mold. He is not a typical Rangers-hater, doesn't come from Scotland or Ireland and is not really part of the established anti-Rangers mafia."----"Tomo is a leftie-leaning journalist with a crush on Irish Republicans and a desire to ingratiate himself with that community" so how doesn`t he fit the mold ?

"having ones who have an agenda against our club is just part and parcel"--"Rangers have all got a bit paranoid in recent times" whats it to be?

"Thomson is quite happy to confirm the Rangers-hating agenda of those he has become tainted with by affiliation - including Mad Phil - and is increasingly vehement that he does not share their ridiculous bigoted view of things." Forget the affiliation as he`s one of them. If he didn`t share their views why do a foreword in their books ?

Bill would you or anyone with a brain do a foreword to a book if you didn`t know the person or what they wrote ?

Thommo is a lying rat who is back tracking because he has lost.

He plays to the gallery and sorry Bill but I think he played to the gallery when interviewed by you. However I think you approached it the right way and if you had gone for the jugular and been more hostile (if thats the right word) you would have got even less out of him.

I can see where Bill is coming from in terms of his approach but this guy has been reckless in his targeting of us and a lot of the damage he has done to our image will take years to repair.

He prints or spouts his drivel and leaves the ill informed with a negative and nasty perception of Rangers fc and then walks away.

We are then left to fight to rectify the damage he has caused with his unnecessary and unwarranted demonisation of the club.

That's just not acceptable and make no mistake Mr Tampax we won't be forgetting you when the retribution course arrives..