Alex Mcleish Signings- Top 5?

stewaj3

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:lol:.

In 2005/6 we had a Hearts team with Gordon, Pressley, Webster, Fyssas, Hartley, Skacel, Jankauskis etc, a Hibs team with Whittaker, Murphy, Brown, Thomson, Riordan and O'Connor. Even Aberdeen had Anderson, McNaughton, Nicholson, Clark and Miller.

The quality drop in the SPL is shocking the last few years.

Too bad Mad Vlad stuck his oar in or Hearts would've had a decent shout at winning the League.

Too bad Mad Vlad stuck his oar in or Hearts would've had a decent shout at winning the League.

The fallout from that was amazing.

It all ended in Romanov calling Burley and alcoholic and saying the season was imploding because he wouldn't go to rehab. They were top of the league! :lol:.

The fallout from that was amazing.

It all ended in Romanov calling Burley and alcoholic and saying the season was imploding because he wouldn't go to rehab. They were top of the league! :lol:.

Haha, I seem to remember they were unbeaten as well when he got the chop. What a nutbag.

When he actually had any money to spend I think he got some decent players like Novo, Boyd, Ferguson, Buffel (obviously excluding Capucho and Mladenovic) but so many of the free transfers were just awful!

Several of them had been deteriorating for years (Emerson, Bernard, Jeffers, Ostenstad etc) and it was a bit naive to think they would come here and turn that round. The way our finances were at the time McLeish probably thought it was a gamble he to take though.

When he actually had any money to spend I think he got some decent players like Novo, Boyd, Ferguson, Buffel (obviously excluding Capucho and Mladenovic) but so many of the free transfers were just awful!

Several of them had been deteriorating for years (Emerson, Bernard, Jeffers, Ostenstad etc) and it was a bit naive to think they would come here and turn that round. The way our finances were at the time McLeish probably thought it was a gamble he to take though.

See, I feel sorry for McLeish, because I thought Capucho, Mladenovic, Emerson and Jeffers would all be good signings, too.

Sometimes things just don't work out, I guess.

I was thinking earlier about how many good signings mcleish actually made? Who would make your top 5?

1. Prso

2. Novo

3. Boumsong

4. Hemdani

5. Boyd

Its pretty painful reading that list it says it all that if i did a top 10, by the time i got to the bottom it would look prettty grim, you look at some of those players there and think of the wages they'd have been on, plus some big fee's... I think Mcleish got very lucky that he inherited a lot of good players.

Couldn't pick at top ten??? <cr>

You could get a very decent team out of that list no bother.

1 - Waterreus

2 - Boumsong

3 - Vignal

4 - Berg

5 - F. de Boer

6 - Ferguson

7 - Hemdani

8 - Arteta

9 - Prso

10 - Novo

11 - Buffel

Subs: McGregor, Andrews, Kyrgiakos, Khizanishivili, Vanoli, A. Rae, Boyd, S.Thompson.

Actually, that team is quite poor... I mean, the centre back pairing only have 212 caps between them (100+112). :D

In fact, there are at least three centurions in that squad: Andrews, Berg, de Boer. Also, if you count the youngsters that McLeish gave debuts to you could improve the quality of that squad considerably (Hutton, Adam, McCormack).

PS - I also ignored the Arteta clause! :P

1 - Waterreus

2 - Boumsong

3 - Vignal

4 - Berg

5 - F. de Boer

6 - Ferguson

7 - Hemdani

8 - Arteta

9 - Prso

10 - Novo

11 - Buffel

Subs: McGregor, Andrews, Kyrgiakos, Khizanishivili, Vignal, A. Rae, Boyd, S.Thompson.

Actually, that team is quite poor... I mean, the centre back pairing only have 212 caps between them (100+112). :D

In fact, there are at least three centurions in that squad: Andrews, Berg, de Boer. Also, if you count the youngsters that McLeish gave debuts to you could improve the quality of that squad considerably (Hutton, Adam, McCormack).

Saying McLeish signed McGregor is absolutely cheating.

1 - Waterreus

2 - Boumsong

3 - Vignal

4 - Berg

5 - F. de Boer

6 - Ferguson

7 - Hemdani

8 - Arteta

9 - Prso

10 - Novo

11 - Buffel

Subs: McGregor, Andrews, Kyrgiakos, Khizanishivili, Vignal, A. Rae, Boyd, S.Thompson.

No width in that team.

Saying McLeish signed McGregor is absolutely cheating.

Big Eck gave him his debut against Forfar in the Scottish Cup. Putting Klos on the bench would be absolutely cheating.

McLeish didn't sign another keeper and I needed one on the bench since Ian 'Utility' Murray didn't make the final cut.