Alex Mcleish Signings- Top 5?

stewaj3

Why are some claiming Boumsong was poor for us, with a mistake in every game? :lol:

Absolute nonsense. The big man absolutely strolled his six months here. Yes, he wasn't great against Auxerre, but 90% of the time he was solid. I had access to a season ticket that year and vividly remember how comfy he was.

He looked hrad and shoulders above everyone in the spl. Never understood how he flopped so massively at Newcastle.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Boyd

Prso

Novo

Boumsong

Waterreus

It pains me to have left the big man out, but I think those 5 guys were more important signings than Big Marv for various reasons (goals, money and being awesome against Celtic :D )

My absolute favourite memory of the McLeish era was a game against Hibs at Ibrox. One of their players was running down the left wing and you could see Big Marv just winding up to go straight through him. Sure enough Marv legs it over there and launches the poor fellow 5 feet in the air.

Keep Believing!!!

Andrews is exactly the type of player we need just now.

Almost unbeatable in the air, a bit like Davie Weir actually. Not as good a footballer, but all he'd need to do is head it, organise the other three and pass it ten yards to a better footballer.

Prso

Novo

Boyd

Wattereus

Hemdani

Under a million quid for they 5, and all were outstanding, i remember klos getting crocked at training and everyone laughing at our title race being done, up steps the mullet and what a fucking keeper he was for us, that night in porto he saved us a couple of times, especially right after we equalised,

Prso

Novo

Boyd

Wattereus

Hemdani

Under a million quid for they 5, and all were outstanding, i remember klos getting crocked at training and everyone laughing at our title race being done, up steps the mullet and what a fucking keeper he was for us, that night in porto he saved us a couple of times, especially right after we equalised,

Watterus was a better keeper than Klos.

Ah, wee Stefan. His inability to reach the halfway line with his kicks, come for a cross or generally command his area under pressure from high balls really did do my tits in.

In my six plus years of RM, I think Klos' rating as 'best goalie ever' by some is my biggest bugbear.

Also, Watterus would probably have got a game in midfield for us, such was his ability with a football at his feet.

Ah, wee Stefan. His inability to reach the halfway line with his kicks, come for a cross or generally command his area under pressure from high balls really did do my tits in.

In my six plus years of RM, I think Klos' rating as 'best goalie ever' by some is my biggest bugbear.

Also, Watterus would probably have got a game in midfield for us, such was his ability with a football at his feet.

Was often said that Klos was worth 15pts a season to us, I agree with that. Waterrus was good, great even, but Klos was better.

Andrews is exactly the type of player we need just now.

Almost unbeatable in the air, a bit like Davie Weir actually. Not as good a footballer, but all he'd need to do is head it, organise the other three and pass it ten yards to a better footballer.

It's the sort of player we've needed since we dropped points at Peterhead on the opening day.

As soon as that game ended we should have been trying to target the best centre half from either this league or the league above purely for the reason you mentioned above.

Whoever thought Cribari could be that player in SD3 is a mentalist.

infact just how badly is eck thought of by some of our fans, look at the financial restrictions he had to face, playing the champions league group stages with namouchi, ian murray, bob malcolm, chris burke etc

we lost 1 game in 10 euro games in his final season, and while hearts emergence wasnt dealt with, the euro run was fucking outstanding

:lol:

You'll catch a big bite there.

Buffel frustrated the hell out of me, boy had bags of talent but for me faded out of games really really badly, like at times he'd seem invisible,but when he did play he was immense and the fact he still gets in the Belgium squad shows he has talent. I actually thought the best we got out of him was under walter smith for about 2-3 games he came in and really changed games.. then got injured and that was him!

As much as a lot of these players didn't have transfer fee's, rest assured we made up for that with signing on fee's, bonus fee's etc..

People talk about the Mcleish team and how they felt that players with big reputations would have done better and they feel sorry for him for this reason. I think Mcleish did a great job, but i think a lot of his signings didn't work out as expected... I think the same could be said for McCoist. I mean honestly... who at the start of the season thought Black, Shiels, Sandaza, Cribari, Kyle would have struggled in division 3? Even Argyriou and Faure, I thought former AEK Athens and Lyon youngsters... ah they'll breeze this...

Clearly its not turned out that way.. but that doesn't mean we cant improve!

See, our domestic form was terrible that season, I agree. But truth be told, Hearts simply had a better team than us that season, if you go pull a starting XI from any Rangers-Hearts game from that season I'd wager they had the better team. Too many years of cost cutting had destroyed us as a real force that year, despite the European exploits.

McLeish ran out of ideas, and ran out of steam. As much as I loved him for winning us so many trophies and getting us to the last-16, I'd have to agree that he did stay a season too long. But then, why wouldn't he?

as good a side as hearts had that year i think if we'd signed boyd at the start of the season we would have finished second.

ifs & buts i know but i believe it.