Alex Mcleish Signings- Top 5?

stewaj3

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was thinking earlier about how many good signings mcleish actually made? Who would make your top 5?

1. Prso

2. Novo

3. Boumsong

4. Hemdani

5. Boyd

Here's a list of signings

Kevin Muscat, Steven Thompson, Jerome Bonnisel, Dan Eggen, Nuno Capucho, Zurab Khizanishvilli, Paolo Vanoli, Henning Berg, Emerson, Egil Ostenstad, Hamed Namouchi, Gavin Rae, Barjim Fetai, Marc Kalenga, Dado Prso, Marvin Andrews, Alex Rae, Jean Alain Boumsong, Dragan Mladenovic, Nacho Novo, Olivier Bernard, Gregory Vignal, Bojan Djordic, Thomas Buffel, Sotrios Kygriakos, Ronald Watterus, Barry Ferguson, Ian Murray, Brahim Hemdani, Jose-Karl Pierre-Fanfan, Julien Rodriguez, Frank De Boer, Francis (Fox In The Box) Jeffers, Federico Niero, Danny N'Guessan, Filippo Maniero, Kris Boyd, Moses Ashikodi

I'm not including Arteta as id credit Advocaat with his signing, even though Mcleish was the manager when he joined, Its common knowledge Advocaat wanted him as soon as we played PSG and then as director of football, secured the signature.

Its pretty painful reading that list it says it all that if i did a top 10, by the time i got to the bottom it would look prettty grim, you look at some of those players there and think of the wages they'd have been on, plus some big fee's... I think Mcleish got very lucky that he inherited a lot of good players.

Players like Maniero, Rodriguez, Buffel, Pierre-Fanfan, Waterrus, Hemdani, Kygriakos, Jeffers, vanoli, berg, emerson, capucho, ostenstad... thats a lot of wages right there.

1. Barry Ferguson

2. Kris Boyd

3. Dado Prso

4. Nacho Novo

5. Boumsong

To think we chased eck out of govan because h had the audacity to make us a transfer profit overall and guide us to the last 16 of the cl

The protests against him during his last season were nothing short of shameful

I'd take him back in a heartbeat, for an Aberdeen legend the guy didnt have bleed blue for us while here

He had the audacity to finish 3rd in a two horse race.

The vast majority of the board weren't around at the time when Danny (a previous poster) used to masturbate furiously over Thomas Buffel.

Still funny for us older guys though. As I tried to explain to Danny on a number of occasions, Buffel would never be successful for us unless we built the formation around him, and at that time he just wasn't good enough in comparison to the rest of the squad to justify it. Now, of course he would be and I could see him doing well in a 4-2-3-1

• 3 years later...

App           Goals   Games per Goal

Boyd              192            128         1.5     (Att) A goal ever 1.5 games A wee tip to Warburton they win games nothing else 

Novo              255              73         3.5     (Att) Knocked back the Taigs. Love hearing him sing 4 Lads Had A Dream.

Prso               123              37         3.3     (Att) Ruthless striker

Andrews           68               8          8.5     (Def) loved the big believer 

Boumsong       24                2        12        (Def) £8,000,000 Profit in 6 month.

Yeah it was all so bad under McLeish. Thought he done really good without a great deal of money! Will do a far better job than Warburton who's signed a full team of duds. Mark my words if we appoint McLeish he will get us 2nd and he will give this team a boot up the arse which they need! 

On 19/03/2013 at 1:17 PM, Creampuff said:

Let's not re-write history here.

Boumsong was a great signing for us - but only because we sold him for so much. He was a pretty poor player :lol:.

I think your memory is failing you on this one. Boumsong was like a dad playing against kids for most of that half-season. He only really let us down against Auxerre. All the talk about him being poor was when he went to Newcastle.

Edit: FFS just seen that this thread was bumped from 2013!

Mcleish needs to come in and do a completely different job this time, in his first spell he done essentially what Warburton has done and spent a lot of money/wages on absolute shite

We need him to be more frugal this time....can't have anymore Kranjcar, Senderos, Barton type of signings....should be young players who we can look to sell on and build a team.

Although looking back...his best signings

Prso

Boyd

Boumsong 

Hemdani

Ferguson

6 minutes ago, Lance1697 said:

Mcleish needs to come in and do a completely different job this time, in his first spell he done essentially what Warburton has done and spent a lot of money/wages on absolute shite

We need him to be more frugal this time....can't have anymore Kranjcar, Senderos, Barton type of signings....should be young players who we can look to sell on and build a team.

Although looking back...his best signings

Prso

Boyd

Boumsong 

Hemdani

Ferguson

Won 2 trophies in his first 6months then won the treble in his first full season.? Against arguably the tarriers best team in the last 30 years under O'Neill ? The only manager to MAKE the club money in transfers during his time. Aye he signed some shite but so has every manager we have had at one time or another. There were more highs than lows and the man is twice the manager warburton is or arguably will ever be with his pipe dream tactics.

Just now, Theulstervolunteer said:

Won 2 trophies in his first 6months then won the treble in his first full season.? Against arguably the tarriers best team in the last 30 years under O'Neill ? The only manager to MAKE the club money in transfers during his time. Aye he signed some shite but so has every manager we have had at one time or another. There were more highs than lows and the man is twice the manager warburton is or arguably will ever be with his pipe dream tactics.

Aww don't get me wrong I think he done well and i'd be happy with him getting the job (prefer interim till the end of the season to see if he can lift the team)

But right now we can't afford him to sign 10 players with only 2 of them actually being any good, that'd be my only worry with Mcleish. Every manager does make pish signings but after the amount Warburton has wasted, his main focus should be getting the dead wood out the squad and using their wages to bring in younger players

We're not going to be challenging next season, we're too far behind, anybody coming in should be a long term plan to stabilise us, not signing old players as a quick fix 

His first job should be to do everything possible to get Hyndman on a permanent deal

Discussing signings he made is irrelevant if he is to be interim manager until end of season. He won't be making any. He will come in to motivate and get a winning mentality into the players already there, which he has done with great success in the past.

Then we finish 2nd and thank him very much for his help but we move on to a permanent manager in the summer

Really don't want an interim manager. Even if it means waiting for the likes of De Boer in the summer.

Horrific visions of being 10 points behind them in September/October and the new man we appoint in the summer saying "we need time to gel."

Identify the man and get him now.

3 minutes ago, GallantPioneer said:

Really don't want an interim manager. Even if it means waiting for the likes of De Boer in the summer.

Horrific visions of being 10 points behind them in September/October and the new man we appoint in the summer saying "we need time to gel."

26 minutes ago, GallantPioneer said:

If we wait till the summer, leave Murty in charge and finish 3rd is that not worse ?

Mcleish or Davies will get it till then as they're both available on little money, De Boer would surely want a higher wage and probably would want the summer window, why risk coming in the now and having to deal with that squad. 

If the interim manager does a really good job, spirits are high etc then by all means give them the window to build, if not then offer it to De Boer with a budget and European football.

Most of the other 'candidates' are either in jobs (McInnes/Wright) and would require compensation 

Best one i've seen so far is Zlatko Kranjcar 

Was 4th favourite yesterday....

36 minutes ago, Lance1697 said:

If we wait till the summer, leave Murty in charge and finish 3rd is that not worse ?

Mcleish or Davies will get it till then as they're both available on little money, De Boer would surely want a higher wage and probably would want the summer window, why risk coming in the now and having to deal with that squad. 

If the interim manager does a really good job, spirits are high etc then by all means give them the window to build, if not then offer it to De Boer with a budget and European football.

Most of the other 'candidates' are either in jobs (McInnes/Wright) and would require compensation 

Best one i've seen so far is Zlatko Kranjcar 

Was 4th favourite yesterday....

I'm not saying leave Murty in. Take it to De Boer (for example) and if he says 'I'll take it in the summer' say no, we need THE MAN now.

Say we get McLeish on an interim basis we're back to square one. Is 2nd even that big a deal when you get in Europe with 3rd? Embarrassing as it is whether we're 2nd or 3rd we'll be miles behind 1st place (cant bring myself to say it)

1 hour ago, Lance1697 said:

Aww don't get me wrong I think he done well and i'd be happy with him getting the job (prefer interim till the end of the season to see if he can lift the team)

But right now we can't afford him to sign 10 players with only 2 of them actually being any good, that'd be my only worry with Mcleish. Every manager does make pish signings but after the amount Warburton has wasted, his main focus should be getting the dead wood out the squad and using their wages to bring in younger players

We're not going to be challenging next season, we're too far behind, anybody coming in should be a long term plan to stabilise us, not signing old players as a quick fix 

His first job should be to do everything possible to get Hyndman on a permanent deal

And sign a very strong centre half to help Hill