Rangers open contract talks with Jon Daly.

By: Scott BurnsPublished: Wed, March 20, 2013

RANGERS have opened pre-contract talks with Dundee United skipper Jon Daly – although an agreement has still to be reached.

Further talks are planned with Daly’s representatives over the coming weeks

United confirmed the Light Blues had written to them to say they planned to speak to Daly, above, who is out of contract in the summer.

Express Sportunderstands there is still a bit of work to be done after those initial talks.

Daly’s agent started the negotiations around the same ball-park figures that Rangers gave to Ian Black and Francisco Sandaza when they made their switches from Hearts and St Johnstone respectively last summer.

The Rangers hierarchy, however, are keen to bring their basic wages down and want their players to earn the big money through bonuses for success on the pitch – including Scottish or League Cup glory.

Further talks are planned with Daly’s representatives over the coming weeks – with the Light Blues prepared to more than double the player’s current United salary.

Ally McCoist sanctioned a move for the big Irish striker after he tore his side apart in their recent Scottish Cup clash at Tannadice.

The runaway Third Division leaders are also close to a deal for Kilmarnock goalkeeper Cammy Bell and are ready to hold talks with Motherwell midfielder Nicky Law.

Express Sport understands there is still a bit of work to be done after those initial talks

Express Sport also revealed that McCoist wants to land Middlesbrough defender Andre Bikey but he must wait to see if the Championship side take up their one-year option on the player.

McCoist has cast his eye further afield to Honduran international Arnold Peralta and Mexican Under-23 striker Alan Pulido – who can both be signed on free transfers.

Peralta, 23, who can play right-back or midfield, is currently with Honduran side Vida. Pulido, 22, one of the best young talents in Mexico, is with local side Tigres – and was a £3million target for French club Bordeaux last year.

McCoist is also keen to bring Kenny Miller back to Ibrox but that deal is unlikely unless the Scotland striker agrees to take a significant wage drop.

Dear god Ally what the fuck are you playing at. Sometimes i think he's at the windup.

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

McCoist has cast his eye further afield to Honduran international Arnold Peralta and Mexican Under-23 striker Alan Pulido – who can both be signed on free transfers.

Peralta, 23, who can play right-back or midfield, is currently with Honduran side Vida. Pulido, 22, one of the best young talents in Mexico, is with local side Tigres – and was a £3million target for French club Bordeaux last year.

Best bit of the Article, good to see we have eyes further afield for younger talents, i just hope to god that we overhaul our current philosophy and start getting the best from young talent.

Hopefully he'll be one of the few older players we bring in.

We do need experience and some physicality, Daly will bring that. I hope this isn't an indication of punt and hope football for the next two years though.

Best bit of the Article, good to see we have eyes further afield for younger talents, i just hope to god that we overhaul our current philosophy and start getting the best from young talent.

Sounds nice but bet it won't happen

If there as good as the media say they are why would they come to the 3rd or 2nd division in Scotland?

It's a message board, a bit of fun. If you'd like to take a look, you'd see that my first response to this wnt exactly deadly serious either. Lighten up (tu)

Not a bit of fun when our manager a complete cunt of things. Maybe others can joke but when you see whats happening and can't do anything about it's no time for a joke.

Not a bit of fun when our manager a complete cunt of things. Maybe others can joke but when you see whats happening and can't do anything about it's no time for a joke.

To be fair, you are 'more than a fan', whereas i'm merely a 'fan', hence why I'm more light hearted about it all I guess

Too much of a burden youre taking on...just too much (tu)

Hopefully he'll be one of the few older players we bring in.

We do need experience and some physicality, Daly will bring that. I hope this isn't an indication of punt and hope football for the next two years though.

I'm sorry, but I can't see what else it indicates. Rangers can't afford to waste this opportunity in the Club's history. I do most certainly agree with you, that we need a balanced blend of youth and experience, but we shouldn't be looking at the likes of Jon Daly. Here's why:

We already have Jig, who will more than likely still be at the Club once Rangers are back in the top flight. Hemmings has scored 6 in 5 for Cowdenbeath in the SFL1 and Little has more than shown what he's capable of. Even the likes of Naismith is adequate for the journey back, albeit his attitude is fucking rotten. When he was given his shot up front he more than showed his ability and movement for what it can be. I really do think that this lad could be a very big player for the side if he'd sort out his head.

If anywhere, the place on the pitch where we should adding experience is that God-forsaken backline. You'd be stunned to believe that Cribari has played 13 years in the Serie A with the way he plays at times. Perry isn't good enough and, although I think he has great potential, Hegarty doesn't fully convince me just now. He needs someone alongside him to nurture his play the way Weir did with Cuellar, Wilson and Bougherra. Nevertheless, this all means nothing if, like you fear, we stick to and resort to long-ball football.