Rangers open contract talks with Jon Daly.

We could also sign all of they great 17 year olds that are already good enough for 1st team football with us and who are gagging to play in the SFL 2nd Division.

Of course but we don't have them coming out of our ears. We've got 4 or 5 real promising talents who we all hope will make up a good part of the team

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think in fairness it's an incomparable situation as the two players mentioned are worlds apart in terms of ability and pedigree but also our current circumstances have to be considered....if we are signing daly as a striker, that to me suggests we are going to persist with the direct style of play and if that's the case where does jig play?

If we are signing him as a CB to help organise and lead from the back then I don't think it's too bad an idea...yes there is no sell on potential there but if a young player (new or current) can learn and develop playing beside an experienced campaigner then it would be worthwhile and would certainly improve our defence....

I was making the point that people should hang fire on their criticism until A. We've actually signed him and B. He gets some games for us under his belt. I wasn't comparing them as players, that would be stupid.

Based on what?

BTW,

Wallace - internationalist

Jig - internationalist, premier league past, played in the CL

Alexander - Played in a UEFA cup final..

Black - Scottish cup winner

Cribari - Played in one of the biggest leagues in Europe and european football

Sheils - cup winner/internationalist

Templeton - cup winner/internationalist/european football!

Hutton - CL experience, including a brilliant performance against Englands most successful club

Little - internationalist

What more experience do you need?

There it is. There is experience in there that most can only dream about.. as it turns out, some of our best performers have been our most INexperienced players.

If jig isn't playing as much next season, then Daly would be our oldest player at 30. Our next oldest is about 27 i think. And the rest are all roughly between 18-25 years old. The other signings we are looking at are all roughly 22-25 years old.

McCulloch - 34

Alexander - 35

Cribari - 33

Black - 28

Sheils - 28

Sandaza - 28

Daly - 30

Indeed. And we've signed a couple of lads. Is it really easy as pie to sign guys under 18 who are ready for first team football though?

No, but they'll get in line behind guys who already have a season under their belt.. this is how it should work.. We already have youngsters at the age of 17-20 that have quite a bit of experience already.... Building for the future :)

McCulloch - 34

Alexander - 35

Cribari - 33

Black - 28

Sheils - 28

Sandaza - 28

Daly - 30

Ha yea that wasn't Gogzy's best post ever!

Still, it's not a particularly old squad. I'd imagine the average age must be sitting around 25/26 - it's all about getting a decent blend IMO

No, but they'll get in line behind guys who already have a season under their belt.. this is how it should work.. We already have youngsters at the age of 17-20 that have quite a bit of experience already.... Building for the future :)

Indeed. And I think there are a few who will still progress from our much maligned youth setup. I guess my frustration is simply with folk saying youth is what we need. It's vague and nonsensical. We need players of good ability. Fr me, Daly is a guy who could improve our team and do so for a good few years.

It's all well and good looking at Ajax's model but the facilities/finances are gig to be pretty different, as well as the quite staggering difference in the quality of young Dutch players as opposed to young British players. It's not a simple thing to pull off, hence why few clubs have a model so successful as Ajax do

McCulloch - 34 - probably wont play as uch next season

Alexander - 35 - is away by all accounts

Cribari - 33 - isn't good enough and will be replaced

Black - 28 - no-one wants him here anymore, he will be replaced

Sheils - 28 - just how often do you see him playing, there are serious worries over his injury.

Sandaza - 28 - Almost certainly gone

Daly - 30 -.

Indeed. And I think there are a few who will still progress from our much maligned youth setup. I guess my frustration is simply with folk saying youth is what we need. It's vague and nonsensical. We need players of good ability. Fr me, Daly is a guy who could improve our team and do so for a good few years.

It's all well and good looking at Ajax's model but the facilities/finances are gig to be pretty different, as well as the quite staggering difference in the quality of young Dutch players as opposed to young British players. It's not a simple thing to pull off, hence why few clubs have a model so successful as Ajax do

For me, we should invest in the youth so that there will always be 1 or 2 coming through each season. It has to start somewhere and now is the time. We should maybe be "buying our star striker" to compliment our experienced young team when we are back at the top.

For me, we should invest in the youth so that there will always be 1 or 2 coming through each season. It has to start somewhere and now is the time. We should maybe be "buying our star striker" to compliment our experienced young team when we are back at the top.

Of course. Agree entirely. Don't think that means we cannot sign guys like Daly to compliment that though. I think there are some great wee players coming through. We've got McKay, McLeod, Naismith, Hegarty and Crawford in this batch and guys like Tom Walsh, Luca Gasporotto and Charlie Telfer coming through behind them.

I just think we should spend the money scouting the planet for good young players so that when the ban is lifted, we do our business. Our current players will see us through the ban. Spending up to 10k a week for Daly is NOT what Ajax would do.

So you think he is currently on a wage of about 5K? :rolleyes:

Belgium, Finland, Denmark, Yugoslavia, Iceland, Spain, Sweden, Congo and France are all represented. They have 5 Danish players alone in their squad so its not all about Dutch players.

We could compliment the best Scots with the best from the rest if we had a good scouting system. It's all about attitude and vision. Scottish football clubs talk about it with think tanks etc. but do nothing about it.

Aye maybe look at the ages of the rest of the first team (tu)

As someone pointed out...Look at Ajax who are top of the league...2 players over 27

We were supposed to be going in a new direction...i dont see it? I see us signing oldeies who we wont get any money back and still playing the dire football weve become known for.

Hopefully he'll be one of the few older players we bring in.

We do need experience and some physicality, Daly will bring that. I hope this isn't an indication of punt and hope football for the next two years though.

But we already have Jig who plays his best football as a striker. What does Daly bring that McCulloch doesn't? We also have Little, Sandaza, and Hemmings who all play up front. I don't see why we need another striker TBH.

As someone pointed out...Look at Ajax who are top of the league...2 players over 27

Look at Man United playing with a 39 year old and quite a few 30 something's. players being young doesn't make them good. Ajax are winning because they have talented young players, if there are such talents available to us then I'd be delighted, please point them out to the club!

Comparing Ajax, a team in the top division in a talented footballing country, against us, a side in the bottom division of a shite footballing country, currently trying to get back up from near fatal years, with a transfer ban in place, is absolutely ludicrous. We can try to take elements of it, but your an absolute lunatic if you think we can follow it to a T

I credit Ajax, I really do, but we cannot sign these young talented players unless they are out of contract - are they?

But we already have Jig who plays his best football as a striker. What does Daly bring that McCulloch doesn't? We also have Little, Sandaza, and Hemmings who all play up front. I don't see why we need another striker TBH.

Do we really expect Sandaza to be here after last night? Also, and I keep saying it, I don't think Hemmings will get offered a new deal.

McCulloch - 34

Alexander - 35

Cribari - 33

Black - 28

Sheils - 28

Sandaza - 28

Daly - 30

You forgot two player whowill be returning in the summer:

Goian 32 (will be 33 in December)

Bocanegra 33 (will be 34 in May)

Kevin Kyle's replacement and that's it hopefully.

If we replaced Kyle and Sandaza with Daly then I could tolerate that. we'd be spending less money and we'd have a better player. My only concern would be that Jig and Daly are like-for-like so we'd possibly have two target men up top. Daly would always be played up front IMO so it would be a question of where to Jig and Little play. I just don't want to see Little on the wing or Jig in defense or midfield. We'd be top heavy.

Our main priority should be two new CBs and a RB. We're already scoring enough goals it's the defense we need to fix.