Rangers open contract talks with Jon Daly.

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the circumstances of the last few years has dictated somewhat of a scattered policy. Missing out on many targets and taking pumps on relative gambles. I don't think anyone could have really foreseen the SPL-level players struggling at this level really

The scatty policy is still alive and kicking. We have a chance to change everything we do but we just carry on doing what we have been doing for years.

It's not going to get us anywhere.

But Ally is the manager and your always going to get people allowing him to make these shite "scatty" signings because he is a "lRangers legend" "A good guy" etc etc....

If any other manger of Rangers tried to sign daly they would be getting slagged.

The scatty policy is still alive and kicking. We have a chance to change everything we do but we just carry on doing what we have been doing for years.

It's not going to get us anywhere.

Well we can only sign guys who are out of contract this summer. If come January and next summer the policy is still significantly hit or miss, I'll be asking serious questions too. Until then, I think we have to keep our sensible heads on and realise that our options are fairly limited.

Jon daly has been a one season wonder he's been there for 6 years and it's only this year people seem to be talking about him.

And because he had a good game v us when we played them.

He's had a decent goalscoring record for the last 3/4 seasons, to be fair.

When Kevin Kyle went to speak to Ally about his future McCoist said to him he would be going in a different direction ie different style of play.

That was only a couple of weeks ago and now he's in for Jon daly.

What direction is Ally talking about? I don't see how he's any different from Kevin Kyle?

He's a significantly better player in all areas.

He's younger.

He's used to a style of football where he gets the ball into his feet as well as in the air.

You need to be a certain type of player to play for Rangers or Celt*c.

Just because they done well or scored at other clubs doesnt always mean it happens like that when they move, thats why a manager is important in terms of speaking to them and judging if they have what it takes to play for such a big club with the preassure it brings.

Daly is average IMO and I have seen him play a fair few times, he's good in the air but has next to no pace and his scoring rate is not great for a striker.

Maybe he can replace Kyle but I'd not expect much from him and would rather see younger players given the chance like Hemmings or Naismith alongside Jig or Little.

To be honest, i'd be very happy with Jon Daly, Cammy Bell & Nicky Law. All good quality players for where we are right now. Especially Jon Daly who is an absolute battering ram!

Don't know anything about the two young foreign players, but good to see we are looking further further afield.

"For where we are now" we should be building for the future.. This is the time to do it. Signing Daly is short sighted and should be avoided. Will he score goals? Probably.. Is he experienced? Probably.. We need to give our own players experience and not buy it. In a couple of years (if he signs) he will move on and we are back where we were...

"For where we are now" we should be building for the future.. This is the time to do it. Signing Daly is short sighted and should be avoided. Will he score goals? Probably.. Is he experienced? Probably.. We need to give our own players experience and not buy it. In a couple of years (if he signs) he will move on and we are back where we were...

I think while we've still got the signing ban, this is what we should expect this summer. If the same kind of deals are being made next summer, I'll be in your camp!

Its impossible, don't even bother. He's tall so he's a target man only, apparently.

(tu).

I actually think a tall striker is a positive.

No reason why we can't play good football to work a crossing opportunity, then have Daly provide the finishing touch.

It'd also make us a bigger threat from freekicks and corners, as well as making us better at defending them.

(tu).

I actually think a tall striker is a positive.

No reason why we can't play good football to work a crossing opportunity, then have Daly provide the finishing touch.

It'd also make us a bigger threat from freekicks and corners, as well as making us better at defending them.

I genuinely think hes a decent all round footballer. Comparisons with Lee Wilkie don't do him justice ;) - I do worry that we would lazily use him as a big target man, but there's definitely more to his game than that. A guy who can hold up the ball up top would be very welcome, and he can do that very well. Obviously would provide a good defensive and offensive plus at set pieces too.

He's not glamorous, I think that's what is putting many off. I'm sure he'd do we'll though. Unless we're neglecting some other excellent out of contract strikers, I can't really see how this would be an awful deal

I think while we've still got the signing ban, this is what we should expect this summer. If the same kind of deals are being made next summer, I'll be in your camp!

I just think we should spend the money scouting the planet for good young players so that when the ban is lifted, we do our business. Our current players will see us through the ban. Spending up to 10k a week for Daly is NOT what Ajax would do.

I genuinely think hes a decent all round footballer. Comparisons with Lee Wilkie don't do him justice ;) - I do worry that we would lazily use him as a big target man, but there's definitely more to his game than that. A guy who can hold up the ball up top would be very welcome, and he can do that very well. Obviously would provide a good defensive and offensive plus at set pieces too.

He's not glamorous, I think that's what is putting many off. I'm sure he'd do we'll though. Unless we're neglecting some other excellent out of contract strikers, I can't really see how this would be an awful deal

This is pretty much how I feel.

He's not a player who we'll remember forever, and he likely won't score 30+ goals a season, but I think he'll love lower league football, and he's a far, far better footballer than some on here are making out.

I just think we should spend the money scouting the planet for good young players so that when the ban is lifted, we do our business. Our current players will see us through the ban. Spending up to 10k a week for Daly is NOT what Ajax would do.

10k a week :lol:

Behave.

This is pretty much how I feel.

He's not a player who we'll remember forever, and he likely won't score 30+ goals a season, but I think he'll love lower league football, and he's a far, far better footballer than some on here are making out.

(tu)

As I said before, I think as long as we aren't signing a whole host of 30 year old SPL players, it's not a bad deal. If we are going for these guys when we are actually able to sign players and not just out of contract players, ill be more worried. That's for next January/summer though.

He'd be a decent asset