Kyle interview in the DR

julescotia

Couldn't see this posted it anywhere else, some good quotes from the big man.

Kevin Kyle: I've missed out on a Gers medal but my Celtic-mad brother is chuffed he got his picture taken with Coisty

THE former Scotland hitman opens his heart about his ups and downs at Ibrox and says he wouldn't have missed the experience for anything.

12313811_Rangers%27%20Kevin%20Kyle%20celebrates%20his%20disallowed%20goal%20against%20Elgin%20City%20during%20their%20Scottish-1774066.jpg

KEVIN KYLE was two games shy of having a Third Division winner’s medal to show for his time with Rangers.

But the big hitman won’t allow that to cloud his memory of the time he spent at the Govan club.

The 31-year-old’s decision to call time on his Ibrox career isn’t laced with bitterness – just a belief he could have done so much better.

After the decision to terminate his contract by mutual consent, the larger-than-life striker has spoken to Record Sport about the ups and downs of Light Blues life.

He was left frustrated on the sidelines for a stint and endured a run of bad luck and several twists of fate which included his mother’s battle with cancer.

The former Scotland hitman doesn’t do regrets, though. And he insists even his Celtic-daft brother wouldn’t have swapped the experience for one minute.

He said: “When I look back at my time at Ibrox, I’ll feel proud.

“I started four games and scored three goals and I didn’t let my team-mates or the fans down.

“This time last season, I was going through my rehab for a hip problem I suffered with Hearts.

“I wasn’t even sure if I would get back playing again. But I’m over all that and I don’t have anything to prove to anyone.

“I’ve played 70 games in the SPL and scored 30 goals. The only thing I needed to prove was my fitness and I’ve done that.”

After having his contract paid up, Kyle’s focus is on recovering from an ankle injury.

And he is adamant he made a telling contribution during his nine months in Govan.

He said: “When I signed for Rangers, it wasn’t for a fortune.

“I have received my P45 and it shows it cost Rangers £85,000 to have me at the club and that’s not a lot of money in football terms.

“I hard partly given up on myself last year but Ally McCoist phoned me out of the blue and invited me in for a trial.

“Rangers offered a one-year deal and I scored goals with the reserves and hardly missed a day of training.

“But I was only getting five minutes here and there when the first team were up three or four goals and it was difficult to make an impact as the manager is never going to change a winning team.

“Then I managed to get an opportunity against Queen of the South for the last half-hour and when I came on, I was confident I was going to do well.

“But I was overly confident and too eager and got sent off.

“It was the last thing I needed as I believed if I had stayed on the park we would have won the game and I would maybe have gone on to get a run in the team.”

The mishaps and misfortunes of Kyle’s attempts to make an impact at Ibrox have at times been comical – but there were some far more serious moments as he strived earn a first-team start.

He said: “Lee McCulloch was moved to centre-half and we were staying in Elgin before a game.

“But when I woke up the next morning, I could hardly move my neck and I ended up missing the game. It was another example of me missing my opportunity.

“I was never really given the chance to show what I could do. But that was no fault of mine or Rangers as the team was winning and scoring goals.

“There was also an occasion when I pulled the manager aside and asked him not to pick me.

“I had a heart to heart with Ally as my mum had been diagnosed with cancer and it hit me hard.

“I told him to call me a *****bag or whatever but if I had to play I couldn’t guarantee which Kevin Kyle would turn up.

“Ally was approachable and I went to see him the next day to tell him I felt better and he told me to take all the time I needed.

“Thankfully she has had all the treatment and made a full recovery, so that’s a huge relief.”

When the former Hearts star finally did get the nod to start against East Stirling, he could hardly believe it.

He said: “My heart was racing so much I thought they would have to get the defibrillator out.

“The game had been passing me by, though, and I saw Kal Naismith was about to replace me but I managed to score from a yard out and it was just what I needed.”

It was all to come to an end last December when Kyle tore ankle ligaments at Links Park but he said: “Signing for Rangers is a dream come true for anyone.

“My brother Paul is a diehard Celtic fan but to be able to take him into Ibrox was incredible.

“He was taken aback and even asked to get his picture taken with Ally McCoist. He was proud of me and that was a great moment.”

£85K is a shed load of money in Div 3.

Sounds like shit magnet from start to finish with us.

Jesus christ. A shit load of money for East Stirling perhaps but at Rangers it's easily affordable.

Taking a rough guess that he was here for 32ish weeks - £85k divided by the 32 weeks = £2656.25 roughly he'd be on a week. I don't know if that includes bonuses or that's just a basic wage but it's hardly a large sum. In fact, I'd be more than happy to pay folk £2-3k a week if they were going to do a job for us on the park - which Kyle did in his short run in the team.

Jesus christ. A shit load of money for East Stirling perhaps but at Rangers it's easily affordable.

Taking a rough guess that he was here for 32ish weeks - £85k divided by the 32 weeks = £2656.25 roughly he'd be on a week. I don't know if that includes bonuses or that's just a basic wage but it's hardly a large sum. In fact, I'd be more than happy to pay folk £2-3k a week if they were going to do a job for us on the park - which Kyle did in his short run in the team.

We have played around 36 games this season, Kyle has had only 4 starts, 9 appearances from the bench and only 3 goals. I am not so sure he done any sort of job for us. He has cost us almost £7000 per appearance. Looks like a waste of money to me.

We have played around 36 games this season, Kyle has had only 4 starts, 9 appearances from the bench and only 3 goals. I am not so sure he done any sort of job for us. He has cost us almost £7000 per appearance. Looks like a waste of money to me.

So what do you call:

Alexander

Argyriou

Cribari

Faure

Perry

Black

Shiels

Sandaza

Hutton

Hegarty

And the 7-8k a week we're still paying Boca & Goian? Value for money? Especially when Shiels, Sandaza & Black are earning 2-3x what he was. With Alexander earning about 5x.

So what do you call:

Alexander

Argyriou

Cribari

Faure

Perry

Black

Shiels

Sandaza

Hutton

And the 7-8k a week we're still paying Boca & Goian? Value for money? Especially when Shiels, Sandaza & Black are earning 2-3x what he was. With Alexander earning about 5x.

Certainly not value for money. The only players who have earned their wages this year are the kids. The more experienced players should be ashamed of themselves.

So what do you call:

Alexander

Argyriou

Cribari

Faure

Perry

Black

Shiels

Sandaza

Hutton

Hegarty

Hegarty will be on a tiny wage.

So what do you call:

Alexander

Argyriou

Cribari

Faure

Perry

Black

Shiels

Sandaza

Hutton

Hegarty

All of them have played more games than Kyle no matter how shite you think they are they have done more than KK.

Granted, but he's still not earned it in his performances. Not putting the blame on him, because there's probably only a few who have i.e. McCulloch, Little, McLeod.

Strongly disagree. Think he's been our best CB this season. He'll probably only be on about a grand a week.