McKay is the hero in Swede success

Rangers' Barrie McKay scored the winner as Scotland's Under-19s came back from two goals down to defeat Sweden 3-2 last night at Somerset Park.

20563276.JPG

Barrie McKay (right) struck in the dying minutes for Scots

The Swedes started briskly and shot-stopper Jack Hamilton had his hands stung by fierce early efforts from Victor Soderstrom and Alexander Fransson, but the Hearts youngster did well to keep his goal intact.

On 20 minutes Jamie Lindsay darted through the visiting defence, but his low curling shot was held by eccentric Swedish goalkeeper Linus Muller.

The visitors opened the scoring in fortunate circumstances four minutes from the break when Kristoffer Olsson bent over a free-kick from the left and Soderstrom's flick hit off Alex Davey six yards from goal and rolled in.

The Scots introduced towering Carlisle United striker Mark Beck for his debut at half-time, however, less than two minutes into the restart Soderstrom made it two when he turned at the edge of the box and with the Scottish defence backing off he sent a fierce shot home.

On 55 minutes, Sweden gave Scotland a route back into the game when Matthew Kennedy's in-swinging corner was headed into his own net by Victor Lindelof at the front post.

It was then 2-2 with just over an hour played as Beck, who qualifies for Scotland through a paternal grandparent, slid in to knock home a cut back from Lindsay who deserves great credit for chasing a lost cause all the way to the touchline.

And with the game slowly moving towards a draw, the Scots sneaked an unlikely win with five to play when Beck nodded a corner past Muller and after Ramus Lindgren blocked on the line McKay tapped home.

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/rangers/mckay-is-the-hero-in-swede-success-119001n.20561690

Well done Barrie!

Hopefully we would've had a scout at this . Sweden has a good track record of producing talented players.

Ha! Scout? The Gers? Surely you have us mixed up with a professional organisation. It wasn't an SPL game so we'd have no one there.

He was MOTM recently against Holland u19s. Thought he looked fantastic at the start of the season and has great potential.

I wonder though are the coaching staff at Rangers capable of recognising this and unlocking it ? He doesnt seem to have fulfilled expectations so far but comes back from international duty with rave reviews. Do the U19 staff see something our own guys dont?

He was MOTM recently against Holland u19s. Thought he looked fantastic at the start of the season and has great potential.

I wonder though are the coaching staff at Rangers capable of recognising this and unlocking it ? He doesnt seem to have fulfilled expectations so far but comes back from international duty with rave reviews. Do the U19 staff see something our own guys dont?

I just feel we have this rather naive way, in this country, of seeing any player on the small side who has pace as a winger. Barry McKay looks a forward who should be played through the middle.

our coaching staff are shite, where you been the last few years mate? they fail to get the best out of our youth as has been shown with various players leaving and going onto become better players.

I just feel we have this rather naive way, in this country, of seeing any player on the small side who has pace as a winger. Barry McKay looks a forward who should be played through the middle.

are you saying our coaches who plucked Barrie of the scrap heap when nobody else could see anything in him don't know he's a good talent? Credit were credit is due if it wasn't for our coaches Barrie might not have been picked up when killing dropped him.

are you saying our coaches who plucked Barrie of the scrap heap when nobody else could see anything in him don't know he's a good talent? Credit were credit is due if it wasn't for our coaches Barrie might not have been picked up when killing dropped him.

I never said that. I just don't think playing on the wing is his best position. But, they know better than me, and I would defer to them knowing more about him than I do.