Stuart Leslie lives the dream.

2pt5hdd.jpg

STUART LESLIE always dreamed of clinching silverware for Rangers.

On Saturday he lived out those childhood fantasies. Sort of.

The Elgin City striker scored a penalty to beat Queen’s Park 1-0 — and see his beloved Gers crowned Division Three champions in the process.

Inverness-born Leslie, 22, used to travel from the Highlands to Ibrox with his father Ian. And he revealed his family were bursting with pride at his role in the Rangers story.

Leslie said: “I grew up a Rangers fan, so as a boy I always dreamed about scoring a goal to win them something. It wasn’t exactly that, but it was probably the next best thing.

“When I came off on Saturday I had afew messages on my phone. One said ‘That’s you written into the history books now’. He’s taken that too far, but it’s a nice thought.

“My dad is a massive Rangers fan so he was delighted.

“I scored at Hampden and it helped Rangers win the league, so it was perfect for the family.

“I had a few pals text me as well. I might not have to buy a drink the next time we’re out.”

Former Inverness kid Leslie has watched Rangers from afar since turning pro.

But he played alongside current Gers pair Kyle Hutton and Ross Perry for Scotland Under-19s and is thrilled to see them do well.

He said: “I know Ross and Kyle from when I was at Caley Thistle and got into the Scotland squad.

“I don’t know them particularly well, but I’m pleased for them. They deserve it and hopefully they can kick on now.

“I used to go to games with my dad and we’ve been down to Ibrox for European nights.

“When I started playing it went on the back-burner a bit because I’m playing on a Saturday.

“But I’ve still looked at their results every week and have supported them from afar.

“My dad wasn’t at Hampden or Montrose, but he was thrilled when I spoke to him.”

Although Gers won the title by a wide margin it was not as convincing as people expected.

And after seeing several teams take points off them this term, Leslie reckons people will have more respect for the Third Division.

He said: “Rangers have slipped up a few times, but they were always going to get there.

“Being full-time was always going to be a big thing and they have some really good players as well. They’ve deserved to win it.

“But it has made a lot of people think differently about the Third Division.

“People started off by saying they’d romp it. But the way it has worked out, with teams like Annan, Montrose, Stirling and ourselves taking points off them, they realise it’s a decent standard. Hopefully we can keep it going and get into the play-offs.”