The players Ally never got

I thought it would be interesting to see where all of our previous transfer targets ended up, to see if we missed out on anything special.

I might be forgetting a few, and I know we had some on trial like Bruins and Abelairas but ultimately didn't offer them deals.

Roland Juhasz - we supposedly offered £3m in 2011 for him from Anderlecht. He has subsequently lost his place in the Hungary team and is out on loan at Videoton in the Hungarian league.

Wesley Verhoek - another target from 2011. He opted to sign for FC Twente that year, rarely played and then signed for Feyenoord last year. He has played one 90 minute game for them.

David Goodwillie - I think we made about 50 bids for him, the highest being close to £3m. God knows what's happened to him since; had a loan spell at Crystal Palace for a week then returned to Blackburn Reserves.

Enar Jaager - A right back we had on trial and Ally said he was desperate to sign. This flagged up issues for us all; Whyte was refusing to sanction it despite saying we could afford it, and Ally "needed" him despite having 5 right backs over 21 on the books and constantly playing Bartley and Perry there. Jaager went on to have further trials with half a dozen other clubs before eventually signing a rolling one year deal with the club he originally left in Norway.

Craig Conway - I remember Ally saying we had offered him a deal in 2011. He opted to sign for Cardiff instead. Could be a Premiership footballer next season, and has played 11 full games for Cardiff this season.

Neil Danns - Another one Ally was desperate to sign for centre mid when he was leaving Palace. Danns turned us down and instead signed for Leicester, where he rarely got picked and is currently punted out on loan to Huddersfield.

Daniel Larsson - Malmo's pacey striker that we were seemingly after ever since he scored against us. He moved to Real Valladolid when his contract expired. No goals in 10 appearances.

Michael Fink - We had him up in the Summer just before the end of the transfer window, and supposedly offered him £6k a week. I think it was Green who pulled the plug on this one, or there were disagreements with the player over the length of the deal. Currently plays for Erzgebirge Aue in Germany.

Many have been saying on here that the only reason we have been so poor on the park this season is because Ally did not get the players he wanted... and yet the majority of those players seem to have either turned out to be poor or to have had terrible seasons.

you could argue that they may have played better for us in a league like the 3rd division, but it would seem to be unlikely.

therefore the argument that we MUST give the management team time to bring in the players that they want is bit spurious..

Who else did we try to sign in the past couple of seasons?

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think this is a fair point....other than hemed....none of the "1st picks" have really proved to be even half decent players! Is this ally's fault in terms of judging a player or is perhaps this an indication of why Murray is suspended! Either way it's interesting and those slating green for not throwing money at ally should maybe consider this evidence before judging him! If ally is given a 10 million budget will he get quality in? I watched a bit if the utd st Johnstone game last night and daly was horrific....clumsy, slow and immobile! Doesn't fill me with confidence for the future!

Goodwillie would have done well here. He had played at the level we required him for. Blackburn are a sinking ship and pretty shite.

Juhasz was a very very good defender but obviously lost his way.

Verhoek was someone all on here were creaming themselves to get.

Larson was another folk wanted despite his modest strike rate for Malmo.

Conway was very very close to happening, played a lot more last yeAr than this.

Danns was another player we were mostly all delighted with getting only to be pissed off he went elsewhere.

These constant threads to make ally look bad are tedious.

I don't think he's up to it but this is just another in a long line of "look how bad he is as manager" threads. Tomer hamed seemed to be his number 1 striking target. He's done very well at Mallorca and tbh most of the players ally went for under whyte where all false bids by the looks of things.

Why not put your investigative mind into looking for future stars instead of wasting it on the past. You have made your point another negative post about Our manager. Can you name any out of contract stars of the future, because that's what we need. It's always easy to judge with 20/20 hindsight .

I think if we took Conway and Goodwillie from Dundee United we would have won the league last year. Those two were exactly the type of players we needed in. Conway could have solved the left-wing problem we had for years and his crossing is something Jelavic was crying out for. Goodwillie would have been the ideal partner for Jelavic too and I think they would have destroyed the SPL.

GK - McGregor

LB - Wallace

CB - Bocanegra

CB - Goian

RB - McMillan

LW - Conway

CM - Edu

CM - Davis

RW - Naismith

ST - Jelavic

ST - Goodwillie

I don't think Whittaker should have been given that new 5 year contract on 17k/week or whatever. He's pish and should have been allowed to leave for Bursa. I'd have done my best to get rid of Lafferty and Edu as well. We could have freed up a lot of wages. I'd have taken Gomis from Dundee United as well to be a direct replacement for Edu.

Point is, Walter Smith left the crux of a Championship winning team there. It only needed another 3-4 players in to strengthen the positions where we were weak.

Goodwillie would have done well here. He had played at the level we required him for. Blackburn are a sinking ship and pretty shite.

Juhasz was a very very good defender but obviously lost his way.

Verhoek was someone all on here were creaming themselves to get.

Larson was another folk wanted despite his modest strike rate for Malmo.

Conway was very very close to happening, played a lot more last yeAr than this.

Danns was another player we were mostly all delighted with getting only to be pissed off he went elsewhere.

These constant threads to make ally look bad are tedious.

I don't think he's up to it but this is just another in a long line of "look how bad he is as manager" threads. Tomer hamed seemed to be his number 1 striking target. He's done very well at Mallorca and tbh most of the players ally went for under whyte where all false bids by the looks of things.

A new thread was perhaps not needed but a regular defence of Ally is that he didn't get first choice players, so it's a worthwhile thing to look at in response.

I thought it would be interesting to see where all of our previous transfer targets ended up, to see if we missed out on anything special.

I might be forgetting a few, and I know we had some on trial like Bruins and Abelairas but ultimately didn't offer them deals.

Roland Juhasz - we supposedly offered £3m in 2011 for him from Anderlecht. He has subsequently lost his place in the Hungary team and is out on loan at Videoton in the Hungarian league.

Wesley Verhoek - another target from 2011. He opted to sign for FC Twente that year, rarely played and then signed for Feyenoord last year. He has played one 90 minute game for them.

David Goodwillie - I think we made about 50 bids for him, the highest being close to £3m. God knows what's happened to him since; had a loan spell at Crystal Palace for a week then returned to Blackburn Reserves.

Enar Jaager - A right back we had on trial and Ally said he was desperate to sign. This flagged up issues for us all; Whyte was refusing to sanction it despite saying we could afford it, and Ally "needed" him despite having 5 right backs over 21 on the books and constantly playing Bartley and Perry there. Jaager went on to have further trials with half a dozen other clubs before eventually signing a rolling one year deal with the club he originally left in Norway.

Craig Conway - I remember Ally saying we had offered him a deal in 2011. He opted to sign for Cardiff instead. Could be a Premiership footballer next season, and has played 11 full games for Cardiff this season.

Neil Danns - Another one Ally was desperate to sign for centre mid when he was leaving Palace. Danns turned us down and instead signed for Leicester, where he rarely got picked and is currently punted out on loan to Huddersfield.

Daniel Larsson - Malmo's pacey striker that we were seemingly after ever since he scored against us. He moved to Real Valladolid when his contract expired. No goals in 10 appearances.

Michael Fink - We had him up in the Summer just before the end of the transfer window, and supposedly offered him £6k a week. I think it was Green who pulled the plug on this one, or there were disagreements with the player over the length of the deal. Currently plays for Erzgebirge Aue in Germany.

Many have been saying on here that the only reason we have been so poor on the park this season is because Ally did not get the players he wanted... and yet the majority of those players seem to have either turned out to be poor or to have had terrible seasons.

you could argue that they may have played better for us in a league like the 3rd division, but it would seem to be unlikely.

therefore the argument that we MUST give the management team time to bring in the players that they want is bit spurious..

Who else did we try to sign in the past couple of seasons?

A very good thread (tu)

Some of those guys might of done much better here, like Aluko going nowhere at the muttons and a class act here, some players fit in at certain clubs but we will never know how these guys would of done (unless we sign any in the future of course) so bit of a pointless debate.

Why not put your investigative mind into looking for future stars instead of wasting it on the past. You have made your point another negative post about Our manager. Can you name any out of contract stars of the future, because that's what we need. It's always easy to judge with 20/20 hindsight .

I don't think the thread is negative , but instead a very apt OP considering most of the guys that think Ally is doing a really good job as manager could not bring in the people he wanted. No-one knew anything about these players apart from the ones from the spl so hindsight is not really apt as to your point .........more to the fact that Ally pushed for a few of these players and quite frankly they haven't cut it with any of the teams they moved to.

Now could be said that Ally might have got what he wanted out of them, if that is the case then you really have to look at the players brought in from spl that are strangers to form from what we know of them from last year................could this be as a result of Ally using them out of position...I don't know , but they have looked lost on the park.

A new thread was perhaps not needed but a regular defence of Ally is that he didn't get first choice players, so it's a worthwhile thing to look at in response.

:lol:

Nearly everyone on here was happy to be linked with these players. Juhasz actually fell out with the bosses at anderlecht after telling them he wanted his move.

Some on here must be a right barrel of laughs on a night out. It's as negative as fuck on here and boring the fucking pants off most of us.

Nearly everyone other than albear85 has reservations of some sort against ally but I thought we had aired these in the other 350threads.

This is just another thread to have digs at him and it will pan out that way. Have fun in this one

Nearly everyone on here was happy to be linked with these players. Juhasz actually fell out with the bosses at anderlecht after telling them he wanted his move.

Some on here must be a right barrel of laughs on a night out. It's as negative as fuck on here and boring the fucking pants off most of us.

Nearly everyone other than albear85 has reservations of some sort against ally but I thought we had aired these in the other 350threads.

This is just another thread to have digs at him and it will pan out that way. Have fun in this one

Bit ironic considering you praised Keith Jackson's incredibly Rangers negative article yesterday. ;)

Link to the the 350 other threads and also it's a very good thread if you think that the defence of Ally is that he could not buy the players he wanted to, pus no pre season.

You play football, are you happy with the football that the managers team has been producing on the park. I do not have digs but have massive reservations as to his skills as a manager.

Link to the the 350 other threads and also it's a very good thread if you think that the defence of Ally is that he could not buy the players he wanted to, pus no pre season.

You play football, are you happy with the football that the managers team has been producing on the park. I do not have digs but have massive reservations as to his skills as a manager.

I never said you. If you read my first reply in this thread you will see my stance on the manager. I just find it pretty tedious tbh.

It may not be 350 threads slating him but there are a fair few which are over 10 pages, fuck we even have a new manager thread despite ally being here.

I'm not happy at the shite we're serving up. I've been pretty vocal in that. I just don't see why we now have to criticise him for not signing players nearly everyone agreed on here at the time would improve us.

I never said you. If you read my first reply in this thread you will see my stance on the manager. I just find it pretty tedious tbh.

It may not be 350 threads slating him but there are a fair few which are over 10 pages, fuck we even have a new manager thread despite ally being here.

I'm not happy at the shite we're serving up. I've been pretty vocal in that. I just don't see why we now have to criticise him for not signing players nearly everyone agreed on here at the time would improve us.

I didn't take it at me bud, you know when anyone replies to a particular post, it sets the ball rolling and many times ends up moving into other areas. I was merely giving my view as to the thread as brought up re your post.

Never as per usual meant it to sound like a attack, merely responding. :thumbup:

Can anyone point me to a post where someone has said the ONLY reason for our performances being poor was because Ally never got his first picks?

I have seen it said amongst other variables. But never seen someone soley blame it on that.

Can anyone point me to a post where someone has said the ONLY reason for our performances being poor was because Ally never got his first picks?

I have seen it said amongst other variables. But never seen someone soley blame it on that.

These are all last years targets bar one iirc