The players Ally never got

Raul Rodriguez - Still with Espanyol. Started 28 games last season and 14 games this season.

Carlos Cuellar - Started 17 games for Villa last season and 20 games for Sunderland this season.

There's no doubt that Ally's job was made very difficult from day one. He was basically sent on a wild goose chase as far as transfers go. We were going for players that we had absolutely no intention of signing. For the most part Ally ended up with 3rd, 4th and 5th choice signings.

If we look at central defence, his top three targets were Cuellar, Juhasz and Rodriguez. Goian and Bocanegra were 4th and 5th choice signings.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think if we took Conway and Goodwillie from Dundee United we would have won the league last year. Those two were exactly the type of players we needed in. Conway could have solved the left-wing problem we had for years and his crossing is something Jelavic was crying out for. Goodwillie would have been the ideal partner for Jelavic too and I think they would have destroyed the SPL.

GK - McGregor

LB - Wallace

CB - Bocanegra

CB - Goian

RB - McMillan

LW - Conway

CM - Edu

CM - Davis

RW - Naismith

ST - Jelavic

ST - Goodwillie

I don't think Whittaker should have been given that new 5 year contract on 17k/week or whatever. He's pish and should have been allowed to leave for Bursa. I'd have done my best to get rid of Lafferty and Edu as well. We could have freed up a lot of wages. I'd have taken Gomis from Dundee United as well to be a direct replacement for Edu.

Point is, Walter Smith left the crux of a Championship winning team there. It only needed another 3-4 players in to strengthen the positions where we were weak.

What a team that would of been.

Raul Rodriguez - Still with Espanyol. Started 28 games last season and 14 games this season.

Carlos Cuellar - Started 17 games for Villa last season and 20 games for Sunderland this season.

There's no doubt that Ally's job was made very difficult from day one. He was basically sent on a wild goose chase as far as transfers go. We were going for players that we had absolutely no intention of signing. For the most part Ally ended up with 3rd, 4th and 5th choice signings.

If we look at central defence, his top three targets were Cuellar, Juhasz and Rodriguez. Goian and Bocanegra were 4th and 5th choice signings.

Torsten Frings - Signed for Toronto and has started 43 games since.

You aren't playing this game right, you're supposed to pick a player who hasn't done much since Ally wanted them and make it look like he was wanting a bunch of shite players that wouldn't have made any difference to our team.

Sorry I believe a good manager can take a group of players and at least get them playing as a team and to a formation that shows good football, also a manager should have the skill of motivation, now Ally is an upbeat guy, until it comes to talking about his views on games and he may be lacking in motivating players t perform.

Are you happy with the football he is churning out....do you think his players are motivated?.

Mmm mm no and no but in his defence he has won the league with a team that was thrown together. I'm trying to be positive and feel that on occasion some of the football has been attractive and we have scored some good goals. I also have a number of negative points but that's for another day.

Mmm mm no and no but in his defence he has won the league with a team that was thrown together. I'm trying to be positive and feel that on occasion some of the football has been attractive and we have scored some good goals. I also have a number of negative points but that's for another day.

Fair comment

Mmm mm he's just a fan like yourself that's not happy with our team. I get it. Your all feeling a bit negative about our future. We aren't the team we were and its the managers fault. Well I'm sick of hearing all this negative drivel. We have enough enemies without our own supporters bringing us down. I have negative opinions about our team but I'm trying to be constructive. You have to build a team and that's not easy when you've lost the core.

(tu) I see your point mate.

Believe me, there is nothing I want more than current set up to prove the doubters wrong and if they do I will be the first to hold my hands up and apologise for getting it wrong.

Yes there are positives and being constructive is admirable, but constructive criticism is also needed to improve things at the moment.

In any business if results or performances aren't up to a certain standard, people should be looking to change that. For me that starts with our coaching philopshy and scouting department.

And any one of those could have been worth thr weight in gold for rangers, in different circumstances you never know. Danns is actually a good player and goodwillie left this country in good form. Would still have liked that defender anaw.

Or did gwilly not get played for a bit

This thread just comes across as another veiled attempt to beat McCoist with yet another stick tbh

Anybody who thinks that two or three of those players wouldnt have made a huge difference to us, despite not making much impact in the time since we were linked with them (which in itself could be down to a number of factors), is talking shite.

I really wanted Goodwillie, i thought he looked excellent for dundee utd, and him being a bluenose was a bonus. But hes gone on to be shite from what i gather, and jonny russell seems every bit as good if not better than him.

We certainly havent "lived to regret the day we didnt sign david goodwillie". Those with good memories will get that :)

I really wanted Goodwillie, i thought he looked excellent for dundee utd, and him being a bluenose was a bonus. But hes gone on to be shite from what i gather, and jonny russell seems every bit as good if not better than him.

We certainly havent "lived to regret the day we didnt sign david goodwillie". Those with good memories will get that :)

The_Mighty_Bears sig IIRC :pipe:

Goodwillie would have been superb for us, and I still think he could become a good player but he picked the wrong club to move to IMO.

DJ won't like this he keeps saying that Ally spent the summer in meetings rather than signing the right players :rolleyes:

Which is partly true. DJ is obviously referring to last summer. The majority of the players listed on this thread were linked to us in the summer of 2011.

There's absolutely no doubt that off-field matters took priority last summer, which was no fault of Ally's.