SPL/SKY TV deal

iang2911

I was just in a twitter conversation there about TV rights, something came to mind.

Could the TV deal revenue with SKY and the SPL be dependent on league reconstruction this season to the 12-12-18, it would be something new for SKY to cover so would be of interest. No reconstruction then they get less money as Rangers TV rights are held in a separate agreement between SPL/SFL.

This may explain the urgency of pushing reconstruction through and the constant talk of Armageddon, now or never etc..

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was just in a twitter conversation there about TV rights, something came to mind.

Could the TV deal revenue with SKY and the SPL be dependent on league reconstruction this season to the 12-12-18, it would be something new for SKY to cover so would be of interest. No reconstruction then they get less money as Rangers TV rights are held in a separate agreement between SPL/SFL.

This may explain the urgency of pushing reconstruction through and the constant talk of Armageddon, now or never etc..

That's the only reason as Charles told them given over our TV rights wouldn't happen again, They need our club for half a decent deal.

As I said in a previous thread 2 or 3 weeks ago, a sky guy (high up) told me "what TV deal".

Obviously yesterday's vote was all part of the jigsaw.

There must of been a deal for this season, As I have been saying for the last year am sure that's only for this season. Next they are fucked without us. I wonder if the SFA will find anything to blackmail us with this time, Afterall the have asked Green for answers about his takeover.

There must of been a deal for this season, As I have been saying for the last year am sure that's only for this season. Next they are fucked without us. I wonder if the SFA will find anything to blackmail us with this time, Afterall the have asked Green for answers about his takeover.

If you thought they have played dirty up until now you aint seen nothing yet :dx:

I think there is certainly something in the TV deal story. If sky dont pull out then they must be slashing the value.

I honestly think Greens quote about not signing over the rights is a fan appeasing soundbite though. As far as I can tell, we dont have individual rights. There are SFL rights that you must adhere to if you want to play in the SFL. The SFL signed these over to the SPL for 3 seasons, well according to the press anyway. If the SFL have done this, I dont see how we can retract.

I find it amazing that the SPL has to rely on us so heavily for their TV deal, yet we only recieve a total of £10,000 for 15 live games being shown this season. We are quite clearly subsidising not only the SPL but the SFL and getting nothing in return. Yet of course the media and Doncaster continually reference the sacrifices Celtic were willing to make to push through reconstruction!

I don't see how 12-12-18 would interest Sky or anybody else. Only 13% of supporters who voted in a poll said they wanted 12-12-18.

Apart from the stupid split mid way thought the season nothing was really changing.

I don't see how 12-12-18 would interest Sky or anybody else. Only 13% of supporters who voted in a poll said they wanted 12-12-18.

Apart from the stupid split mid way thought the season nothing was really changing.

It surprises me too because the nature of the league is that the 'exitement' was meant to take place in the middle group of 8. I don't see Sky rushing to invest in the likes of Morton v Dundee.

I think its fair to say the Rangers story has generated a great deal of interest around the world, I wonder if the "what are they doing to Rangers now factor" sells games, its been reported on here and elsewhere that Rangers games were attracting more interest than any other's in Scotland for SKY.

I really can't think of any other reason to dump Rangers in an 18 team league, if it generates to many meaningless games in the SPL, whats it going to do in a league made up of meaningless games.

i can't see Sky being interested in the SPL as it stands.

A one horse race for another two seasons and no old firm games.

So the only thing they could offer Sky for next season was a revamp of the other leagues to create some excitement and interest.

Now they've got to say to Sky sorry all we've got is the same one-horse race again.

Who wants to watch that?

Last night on Radio Scotland, Doncaster accepted, ever so reluctantly, that the TV deal "had scope" to increase payments if there were improved viewing figures.

He then mentioned that the difference could be a "seven figure" amount.

didnt know this, Thanks