Makes you wonder how Ally has even been able to appear to function normally

that is not how i remember the start to our SPL season.

We went on a good run, but were far from unplayable.

We were absolute garbage against Inverness, Aberdeen and st Johnstone. Plus a couple of others.

Totally over reliant on naismith and jelavic.

Celtic, Motherwell and dunfermline away were our only excellent performances.

Most were poor to mediocre.

And you can't blame the players alone for 4 shit performances in Europe.

• Replies 604
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Our manager has my complete support. Time will quickly wash away the memory of a few unspectacular performances, but Ally's monumental contribution in recent years can never be forgotten. The team wil

I really don't want another ally debate however the bit from Rae....he wanted 5/6 players to give the supporters good football????? I mean do these guys think we are all clueless bottom feeders, yes t

Interesting read from Alex Rae in Sportinglife.com earlier today. For me, this sums up just how difficult Ally's job has been in this most turbulent of times. So all you who seem to take great enjoyme

Interesting read from Alex Rae in Sportinglife.com earlier today. For me, this sums up just how difficult Ally's job has been in this most turbulent of times. So all you who seem to take great enjoyment slating a true legend while he deals with the circus that has been looming around our club, have a wee think before you criticize

....."It's been a really difficult job for Ally. During the transfer window last summer, he wanted five or six players in so he could give the supporters some good football. But, and this is just me reading between the lines, Charles Green never fulfilled his pledge to allow Ally to bring players in.

"Then he let Carlos Bocanegra go out on loan and brought in David Templeton on half the money. So it was cost cutting the whole way and the squad was decimated.

"The next year or two going forward, that is when you will be able to judge Ally McCoist."

McCoist has been criticised for the lack of flair shown by his side and the failure of many of his signings to perform consistently.

But Rae says the manager did not have all the necessary tools at his disposal.

"I think that the fact Rangers don't have a scouting network is unbelievable," he said.

"If you look at the big clubs, they have scouts worldwide, never mind just in the UK.

Cost cutting all the way? Get out yer bubble Rae, we were skint. We had no money so there was no option.

Another fucking tagalong.

We went on a good run, but were far from unplayable.

We were absolute garbage against Inverness, Aberdeen and st Johnstone. Plus a couple of others.

Totally over reliant on naismith and jelavic.

Celtic, Motherwell and dunfermline away were our only excellent performances.

Most were poor to mediocre.

And you can't blame the players alone for 4 shit performances in Europe.

why cant i blame the players?

Some foolishly got themselves sent off. And our strikers missed a barra load of chances (22 in one game)

I am not going to hold Ally responsible for those games. The teams we put out should have done the job. And if ally was guilty of anything, it was perhaps a bit tactial niavity (sp?) in his first few cimpetitive games as manager.

He isnt blameless, but the team let him down, that is a fact.

I dont think there are many managers who over the course of effectively 1 season have went into clubs and instilled that playing style, while maintaining the same, or downgrading personnel.

At best you will see a manager instil confidence in players who had previously shown the ability. It takes time and recruitment to develop.

There isnt much different tactically McCoist could do , for years on here the majority have screamed that 442 is a "dead" formation. The 4231 we have used this season is actually pretty progressive and would have worked a lot better with a better frontman up there all season.

Ally McCoist has been back at Rangers since 2007, He did not just arrive last year.

The 4-2-3-1 you mention is a pointless formation if you lump the ball 60 yards to a lone striker and no one supports from midfield.

In the later games that 4-2-3-1 became a 4-1-2-2-1 because Faure sat 5 yards infront of a back 4.

Hutton and Black never got close to the lone striker and more often than not we had strikers like Naismith or Little playing wide right.

Then on the left either had a central midfielder like Crawford or a right side player like Aird.

Rangers were dire this year, It was painful to watch.

The shape of our team is poor,

The overall fittest that should be one of our biggest assests does not seem to be there.

our fitness and full time status should mean that we play a pressure game and force errors from part time opponents, we never really pressed our opponents the way we should have.

Pressure football works, Every successful team in European football press the ball effectively,

Our set pieces are woeful as is our defence of set pieces.

I really don't grasp why you would play a player in 3 different positions in 1 game. eg Andy Little

I don't grasp why you would continually play players on the wrong side of the pitch where they are not comfortable. eg Aird, Mitchell, Naismith, Crawford, McKay.

We have struggled most of the season.

The stands are emptying at half time because it is dire to watch.

why cant i blame the players?

Some foolishly got themselves sent off. And our strikers missed a barra load of chances (22 in one game)

I am not going to hold Ally responsible for those games. The teams we put out should have done the job. And if ally was guilty of anything, it was perhaps a bit tactial niavity (sp?) in his first few cimpetitive games as manager.

He isnt blameless, but the team let him down, that is a fact.

Well obviously you can if you want.

But our failure wasn't done solely to those isolated incidents, we were generally poor over the 4 games.

The sendings off and bulk of poor finishing was the 2 malmo games. It was general shiteness that cost us against maribor.

At 99 out of 100 clubs the standard of football on the pitch is reflective of the standard of player on the park. The Rangers fans begged for division 3 status but they never really prepared for what that meant. They expect Perry to do what Bocanegra done before, they expect Hutton and Black to be of the level of Davis. Whether they admit it or not this is what the majority are looking for and get frustrated when they dont see it.

We pay the highest in Div 3. We also comfortably play the best football in Div 3 and comfortably won division 3. It is still a low standard, but it is reflective of where we are.

The stands are emptying at half time because it is dire to watch.

Better off without anyone who wants to leave instead of support young lads trying to get us back where we belong, because they have been spoiled by the years gone before.

mnym8ts likes this

At 99 out of 100 clubs the standard of football on the pitch is reflective of the standard of player on the park. The Rangers fans begged for division 3 status but they never really prepared for what that meant. They expect Perry to do what Bocanegra done before, they expect Hutton and Black to be of the level of Davis. Whether they admit it or not this is what the majority are looking for and get frustrated when they dont see it.

We pay the highest in Div 3. We also comfortably play the best football in Div 3 and comfortably won division 3. It is still a low standard, but it is reflective of where we are.

Better off without anyone who wants to leave instead of support young lads trying to get us back where we belong, because they have been spoiled by the years gone before.

That has been seriously debatable.

We are regularly passed off the park by queens park etc on a regular basis, they play far superior football than us but thankfully dont have an end product most of the time.

Our wages are comfortably higher than all bar celtic, therefore id suggest supporters have a right to expect far more than 3rd division effort.

Ally wants to sign John Daly, who will be touching 31 and on the wrong side of 2 serious knee operation. Now we hear rumours of Novo and Steven Smith, Jesus wept !

Bocanegra did not play against part timers who had just finished an eight hour shift, neither did Ferguson and Thomson.

Sandaza, Shiels and Black were arguably the best players in their respective SPL teams, Why did the 3 of them suddenly become so poor ?

I don't watch every team in SPL so I would struggle to say we play the best football, Peterhead, Berwick and Queens Park gave us a real hard time with an iota of the wage bill and in some cases younger players.

I admire your optimism and I wish I could share it,

But things are not going to change anytime soon and I do not think Ally has the ability to manage Rangers and improve the club in any way.

Legend as a player, terrible manager,

Dressing room jokers do not become successful managers in my opinion

Dressing room joker? Ally was a winner. It was his determination to succeed that made him the player he was.

Yes. Apparently so.

Made a good double act with Durrant and was often fined by the club for being late for training and such like.

As I said dressing room jokers historically do not make good managers.

Yes. Apparently so.

Made a good double act with Durrant and was often fined by the club for being late for training and such like.

As I said dressing room jokers historically do not make good managers.

So that completely negates the determination and competitive edge required to have a career like his?

Outsider here, but put any top ranking European team into their bottom division, ensure they lose most of their playing staff, and play on poor pitches against teams for whom this is a cup final to play against you, and it would be the same. How great would Brazil '70 look against Berwick Rangers on a freezing cold January day on their pitch?

So that completely negates the determination and competitive edge required to have a career like his?

I wouldnt say so, but I am unaware of any dressing room jokers who have went on to become successful managers. It obviously requires more than determination and a competitive edge to become a successful manager. Ask Roy Keane.

If you can think of anyone who debunks my theory then let me know.

I would have thought it had more to do with his playing and goal scoring ability

He had the determination to come back when Souness benched him and when he was getting abuse from his own fans shortly after signing - that shows a sharpened competitive edge far removed from his public persona.. He's pretty clearly a lot more than a 'dressing room joker'. That's just an insult to the man and what he's achieved in the game.